Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the training forum...

tomahawk said:
FYI, this training agency has a very shady fundraising reputation. They have been contacting residents in my town with letters asking for payment on their pledge (which the residents say they never made).

They do raise funds for police training, however only 20% of the total $$ raised goes to the department -- the remaining 80% they keep for "expenses".

Just a heads up; I have no information about the actual quality of their classes. They were known as the "New England Police Officers Association (NEPOSA)" until a few days ago.

-Mike
This reminds me, right now APD is conducting our annual fundraiser and some of the folks that we have been calling stated that they have already made donations. After a little research it turns out a group out of NJ that call themselves "Massachusetts Police Reserve Foundation" or words to that effect are also calling seeking donations. They are listed with the AG's office just wondering if anyone else has heard of this group, who are they and who the hell do they represent?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Gil, I have heard of the "Massachusetts Reserve Police Federation"; I believe their office is on Route 38 in Tewksbury. I vaguely recall it being a group that represents part-time and reserve officers.

The AG's office is aware of all these groups, but the key question is "how much of the donation goes to the police?" Many fundraising orgainizations keep upwards of 95% for "administrative expenses" -- and it is completely legal.

-Mike

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Massachusetts Reserve Police Federation is an organization & training academy currently geared towards part-time and special officers. They run a 200 hour full-time course out of their office in Woburn for armed Boston Specials and do specialized training classes.

www.mrpfinc.com

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tomahawk said:
Gil, I have heard of the "Massachusetts Reserve Police Federation"; I believe their office is on Route 38 in Tewksbury. I vaguely recall it being a group that represents part-time and reserve officers.

The AG's office is aware of all these groups, but the key question is "how much of the donation goes to the police?" Many fundraising orgainizations keep upwards of 95% for "administrative expenses" -- and it is completely legal.

-Mike
Not sure it's them but these guys are listed as a business and run it as a business charging for classes etc...

Massachusetts Reserve Police Federation Inc.
2500 Main St. Suite 204-205
Tewksbury, MA 01786

SPO Classes

The cost of the class is:
Non Members:
$1000 Unarmed
$1200 Armed
MRPF Members:
$950 Unarmed
$1150 Armed

What would they need to solicit donations for?

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
The "Massachusetts Police Federation" is the phone scam currently being used, its completely separate from the MRPF.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I have an actual receipt from one of the Attleboro residents it is the"Massachusetts Reserve Police Federation" funny they left the "Inc." off the receipt where there name is listed.

The guy gave us his "Sponsorship Confirmation" and was told from the telemarketer that his donation would help the Attleboro Police Dept. on the confirmation it gave an inquiry address of:

396 Washington St PMB 284
Wellesley, MA 02481
1800-557-1454 ext 338

We have already contacted someone from the telemarketer company in NJ and supposedly they have removed the Attleboro phone exchanges from their calling list.

I am still interested in what they do with the donations, half of their website is under construction and gives no information about how they help the community with the donations they receive.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the article that MT1 posted a link to it mentions an essay contest. There is also mention of an essay contest on mrpfinc.com.

http://www.mrpfinc.com/essay.html [Also Under Construction]

Sounds like this telemarketing company came up with the essay idea to make it sound more legit. At least in the "KSA program" they provide sponsors with items for their donation:

"In addition, each sponsor will receive child identification material to record detailed information including the child's photograph, fingerprints and vital statistics," Thimmesch said. "This information is designed to be helpful to law enforcement in the event a child is reported missing or injured while away from home."
and seem to have a use for the funds.

"Also, the program will help fund training, conferences, legislative issues and a death benefit payment that will be made to survivors of KSA law enforcement members,"
Maybe I am just being territorial here but as stated on their website...

The Massachusetts Reserve Police Federation (MRPF) was founded and incorporated in 1991 as a non-profit, fraternal organization to represent the needs and views of reserve, auxiliary, special and part-time police officers within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The organization has since then expanded its coverage to deputy sheriffs, correctional officers and other criminal justice professionals. The MRPF publishes an annual magazine and a quarterly newsletter to keep the membership current on the affairs of the organization as well as items concerning its members. The MRPF also provides services to communities by conducting several different types of crime prevention and awareness training courses to the general public and those communities that specifically request it.
unless they are offering something to the Attleboro Auxiliary Unit I see no reason why they should solicit funds from Attleboro residents. And if the communities don't specifically requestit what happens to the funds?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I saw one of those stickers on a car I was dealing with last year. When I asked the operator what the sticker meant to him, he said it was supporting officers. He also had a NY equivalent, and with more prodding he admitted that the stickers were just there to get out of stops/tickets (you can guess what I said). I think, in the minds of some people, these type of stickers/companies are an easier alternative to paying $90+ on ebay for an MPA logo.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
Mikey682 said:
The "Massachusetts Police Federation" is the phone scam currently being used, its completely separate from the MRPF.
Good Job for pointing that out Mikey!
8)
The MRPF is an organization that is trying to promote Reserves/Aux's and other officers perhaps, considered slightly less than mainstream L.E. They put out a well organized periodical with quality and relevant articles.
Say what you want, It's a legitimate association for those who perhaps can't belong to MPA or SPAM.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Year - Solicitor - "Alleged" Charity - Income - Donated back to community - % Giving back to community

1998 - Community Safety LLC - Massachusetts Reserve Police Federation - $429,811 - $64,471 - 15%
http://www.ago.state.ma.us/charity/telrep98.pdf

1999 - Community Safety LLC - Massachusetts Reserve Police Federation - $447,844 - $71,912 - 16%
http://www.ago.state.ma.us/charity/telrep99.pdf

2000 - Community Safety LLC - Massachusetts Reserve Police Federation - $589,558 - $99,710 - 17%
http://www.ago.state.ma.us/charity/telrep00.pdf

2001 No Records Found
http://www.ago.state.ma.us/charity/telrep01.pdf

2002 No Records Found
http://www.ago.state.ma.us/charity/telrep02.pdf

Does better than some small businesses I know.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
We had a similar problem with telemarketers soliciting funds for firefighters in New Hampshire. They were a scam organization calling around, couldn't name a single town or city in New Hampshire when asked.

Mass. Reserve Police Federation is a legit organization as far as I know.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Look at those percentages Gil posted, then remember that many of these "charities" are 1 man operations who sub-contract the telemarketing services (ironically, many of those are staffed by inmate labor in prison/work programs). Basically, by donating less than 20% some guy is probably netting $250K - that's per charity.

These are legitimate charities according to the law, but they are scams.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Gil said:
Why haven't they nailed these scammers in Wellesley? They use the MRPF logo (without written consent I assume) and if they are not connected to MRPF, who are the "fundraising" for? The AG should tackle this....

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is the MRPF......, they are the ones I am speaking of anyway. The reason I call them scamers is because when they or their telemarketing firm called the Attleboro residents they led the donors to believe that they where helping the APD with this donation.

Business owners who tend to donate a bit more where and are still telling us that "someone already called for your dept."

I can guarantee that the auxiliary unit that we have never sees a dime of any of that.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
MRPF should be ashamed of themselves then. If this is true, I think we should call for a boycott of MRPF. :sb: :2up: :up_yours: :FM:

Who's with me? OK.. too much caffiene tonight...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've heard through the grapevine that the MRPF went out of business.... Some Aux's I know were members.... so I have no idea who these jokers are using the name now....

:evil:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.