Full time job plus R/I | MassCops

Full time job plus R/I

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by btbamfan90, Jun 20, 2013.

1. btbamfan90

btbamfan90 MassCops Member

Anyone have any comments on working a full time job while in the R/I. I know that working a fulltime job while in the fulltime academy is impossible, ive seen posts on that before. I was curious how studying, taking care of family, etc, is while working full time and going to the R/I.

I personally need to commit 100% to schoolwork, this is why I think working part time while in the part time academy would work best for me. Any comments would be great, thanks.

2. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

I worked my full-time and part-time dispatch jobs while going to the R/I Academy. Mine was on Tuesday and Thursday evening 6-10 and 8-4 on Saturday all while working the dog shift.

BTW At my department the student security officers get sponsored as a job perk and they don't seem to have a problem doing both. Suck it up and drive on.

pahapoika likes this.
  3. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

No reason you can't. Buddy went to school part time , R/I academy and full time night shift.

4. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

When I went through the R/I academy I was working full time, had a per diem EMT job, and was taking three classes a semester towards my associates degree. It can be done, its just all about discipline and time management.

Code 3 likes this.
  5. GMass

GMass Guest

Worked full time and took 4 college classes when I went through the R/I academy.

Code 3 likes this.
  6. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I did the R/I Academy on Saturdays and a handful of Tuesday and Thursday nights along with First Responder on Wednesday nights while I was working full time. This was back in 2006 though when the academy was 120 hours and I think First Responder was 40 hours.

7. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

I believe we've established that it is possible to attend the R/I academy in addition to work and college. Most of us have done it and lived. You'll find that most individuals attempting to get on the job have a very strong work ethic. It is not a job for a princess.

Have you even been offered the opportunity to attend the R/I academy or are you just here to shoot the breeze?

8. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

Ditto. I was only taking 3 classes though.

9. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO......

pahapoika, fscpd910, LGriffin and 2 others like this.
  10. Dan Stark

Now I can browse the internet and get paid at the same time... and I only have ONE JOB NOW MON

[​IMG]

11. niteowl1970

Were you staying at a Holiday Inn Express when you switched?

right.as.rain and HuskyH-2 like this.
  12. Ronald McFondled

Ronald McFondled New Member

Ain't nobody got time for that.

[​IMG]

zm88, pahapoika, HuskyH-2 and 3 others like this.
  13. Dan Stark

You're going to fit right in here

14. frapmpd24

frapmpd24 Senior Member

When I completed the R/I academy I was dispatching full-time overnights, taking four courses for my undergrad, a member of the on-call volunteer FD responding a ton a of calls, going out on a regular basis with my friends and maintaing an active social life, and was able to handle the part-time academy without a problem. Granted, I was 21, had a lot more energy.

Fast forward about 10 years and I bid back to Midnights to go "part-time" to law school (only in that world is 12 credits part-time), drive an hour each way two or three nights a week, spend my remaining waking hours studying, remodeling my house, providing for a family and newborn, and sleeping as time allowed.

Trust me, TRUST ME, you can handle working full-time and going a couple nights a week and/or Saturday to the R/I academy with very minimal disruption to your life. It's not that burdensome that you'll need to work part-time during that time period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank likes this.
  15. Harley387

Harley387 MassCops Member

The R/I academy is a joke. Just show up. You'll be fine.

frapmpd24 likes this.
  16. niteowl1970

[​IMG]

frank likes this.
  17. Code 3

Code 3 MassCops Member

18. GMass

GMass Guest

Couldn't be any closer to absolute truth. Minimal homework, no studying, uniforms are a joke if they're even require where you go.

And if you're lucky, you'll get a certain con-law professor at a certain south-shore academy that teaches strictly from the test. You won't learn shit, but you'll pass with no problems.

19. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

Its a ground ball... All day....

FYannizzi likes this.
  20. fscpd910

fscpd910 MassCops Member

I worked full time and attended the FT academy, married with 2 kids. It not impossible, trust me.

21. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Used to WALK to the part-time academy uphill, ( both ways ) in the snow with cardboard in my shoes and still made it ! :cool:

22. devenob

devenob 2300

It should be no problem for anyone.. its pretty much like taking night classes depending on where you go. I went to the Boylston academy, MON, TUE, THU 6-10PM from January to June. While working 40-50 hours a week on graveyard shift, I would go to class, then work, then sleep, wake up and go to class and do it all over again. So if your working days or something you should be fine.

23. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

You had cardboard? You lucky bastard!!

pahapoika likes this.