Full Time Academy on PT basis | Page 2 | MassCops

Full Time Academy on PT basis

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by Foxy85, Sep 28, 2018.

1. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

I’d imagine the people who have (x) amount of years on PT will be “grandfathered”. It’s asking a lot for a 15 years PT guy to go back and do FT academy hours. Chances are they’d probably put it down. Some of these small towns central MA / western MA rely on PT to survive.

Joel98 likes this.
  2. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

I have to wonder, will the bridge course only be for PTers currently on the job? I have a FT academy from PA as well. When I tried to apply to a Mass PD a few months ago, they said I would have to do the FT academy because I didn't have 2 years of full time police experience in PA. I wonder if they'll allow people in my position to do the bridge course instead...Highly unlikely, I know, considering that it's Massachusetts. I can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

Joel98, Goose and pahapoika like this.
  3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Never could understand why someone working part-time, doing cruiser shits for say 4 years would have to attend a full-time academy when their name gets called ?

Sure, additional training to cover any legalities, but halting your source of income to receive entry level training as a veteran officer ? = stupid.

And there should be something to keep your R/I qualification active. Worked 22 years with the DOC and kept my CDL A even though i wasn't driving a truck.

38bigblock, Kilvinsky and PG1911 like this.
  4. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

It's like when a department which has their own academy will hire you and say, "YOU have to attend OUR Academy, regardless of training and experience." Boston, State, prime examples. I worked with a guy who only about 2 years prior had attended a full academy for my job. He got hired by a municipality who then said, "You start the academy on..." He replied, "I just went to a full academy a couple of years ago and have 2 years experience." "Ah, but it wasn't OUR academy."

He turned down the position feeling he wasn't up for that stuff all over again. Oddly enough, he went to LA a year or so later and....LAPD ACADEMY!

Goose, 38bigblock, Joel98 and 2 others like this.
  5. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Its all about money and the old attitude of we'er better then you... but mostly money.

6. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

NO ONE is better than MY job, except MANY others. And that could change with a regime change. Until then....

38bigblock likes this.
  7. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

And all the people who have never worked your job ;)

Kilvinsky likes this.