FTO Compensation | MassCops

FTO Compensation

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Education & Training Questions' started by CPD615, Feb 24, 2016.

1. CPD615

CPD615 New Member

Looking to see how departments across the Commonwealth are compensating their FTOs.
    So far I've heard anything from an hour of OT/comp time per shift, to several hundred per week. My Dept. is currently trying to renegotiate our compensation package for FTOs. We currently get $100/week from the start of the program through the end of the 6 month bid cycle.

Thanks & stay safe!

2. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

I worked in an agency where FTO's receive an extra 5% just for being an FTO and an agency where FTO's received an extra 5% when they actually have a trainee. Both were common rates for FTO's.

3. rireserve

rireserve MassCops Member

My first Department we got 1200 per recruit. My second Department we hardly got a thank you. Now on my last and final (my hometown) Department we get an hour of OT given as comp per training shift to do the paperwork at the end of the shift. I would do it for free because it sucks to be the new guy and someone should be bringing them along the right way.

Ghost12345, new guy and LA Copper like this.
  4. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

My department is the same. You have to interview for the spot and compete with many other folks who want the job.
    Being an FTO is an important position as it basically forms the civilian into a police officer... preferably a good one, depending on how good the FTO does his/her job. Being an FTO shouldn't be given to just anybody. It's probably one of the most important jobs on the department.

PBC FL Cop likes this.
  5. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Exactly!

6. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

Our dept gives us a really neat FTO pin. I mean, really, who wouldn't do such an important job for that alone?
    All kidding aside, it is a demanding and super important job. much respect to those who step up. Been there, done that.

new guy likes this.
  7. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Compensation? Our department's compensation is the extra work you have to do before, during and after your shift, in addition to the fact your patrol is awful boring with someone else driving most of the time.

8. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

We get a pin to wear on our uniform and an hour a day OT when we have a trainee - to fill out DOR's etc.

9. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Subscribing Member

1 extra vacation day for each new officer trained.

10. militia_man

militia_man MassCops Member

One hour OT each day and one extra day off (essentially a personal day) for every two weeks worked as an FTO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. MPTC_firearms

MPTC_firearms MassCops Member

We get 20 bucks a shift. Nothing great, but it's something.

12. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

You damn mercenary you! LOL!!!

13. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

No compensation, 4 c days though.