From the "Way things were done" files | MassCops

From the "Way things were done" files

Discussion in 'War Stories' started by Hush, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

My friend's father is a world renowned wood instrument maker. He has a shop in Belmont that he's occupied for 30+ years, that dates back to 1915. He recently had a stroke, and his son and I have been helping organize things while he's out of commission.
    Last night we moved a shelf, and discovered some bullet holes in the wall. His father told us the story. Sometime in the early 80's someone broke into the shop and tripped the alarm. The responding officer entered the front door and saw the burglar escaping out the back door. He fired 2 warning shots into the ceiling, and then 2 more into the wall. Of a building that has an apartment upstairs.
    Nothing like expending 2/3 of your ammo into the air, with an unknown backstop, while chasing an unknown suspect at night.

frank likes this.
  2. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

Easy, my friend. Tennessee v. Garner was not law until 1985. And in much the same way the true weapon of the redcoated British soldiers during the revolution was not the musket ball but the bayonet, the 80's cop's true weapon was not the bullet fired by the revolver, but was the revolver used as a bludgeon.

Okay, that last part wasn't true, but the Garner part was.

And concern over a backstop was not routinely trained in Massachusetts in those days. Some who were anywhere near Watertown on April 19, 2013 might say concern over backstops is not routinely trained still.

pahapoika and TacEntry like this.
  3. Hush

I think we all like satire. I dont consider a valid critique "Monday morning quarterbacking", I haven't had any a chance to reply to the DT Fail thread yet
    exactly. As for the bomb thrown...I guess we can let the guys here who were THERE address that.

4. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

"Easy, my friend. Tennessee v. Garner was not law until 1985. "

Excellent deadly UOF case law precedence reference.

5. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

I was not there. I don't know if I would have done one damn thing different. My critique of all the shooting is that we don't do nearly enough firearms training to even hope for a different result.

mpd61, Goose and Hush like this.
  6. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Why is that? Especially considering our firearm can be a pretty significant part of our job, both in saving our own lives and in liability from what you said, not having enough training / practice. From what others on this site have said, this seems to be a common thing back there.

This needs to change, especially in this post 9-11 era and with all the mass shootings going on nationwide.

Goose and Hush like this.
  7. Hush

If you rely on the bare minimum provided by a department in terms of training and equipment.....your mindset is wrong.

8. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

If you talk shit about your fellow officers and especially your subordinate officers for seeking training beyond what is provided, the department should provide more training and you should get your head examined.

Sent from my flux capacitor using 1.21 jigawatts

Hush likes this.
  9. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I quite agree. My department sends people to training all the time, both internal and external. We put on a lot of our own training that us and other departments attend. In fact, if any of you guys want to come out and attend some of ours, including firearms / tactical stuff, feel free to let me know and I'll try to help facilitate that. Of course, if you come out and get hired by us, there's always the LAPD Academy too!

Examples of some of the different stuff you could attend:

Tactical-shooting / Vice / Narcotics / Supervisor / Detective / Homicide / Juvenile / Gangs / WMD / Mobile Field Force (crowd control) / Other stuff that escapes me now

Of course there's always other stuff you could put yourselves through. I know NESPIN puts on a lot of decent training too. Good luck.

Goose and Hush like this.
  10. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

A few years back I heard that the late Billy Webber (Southborough Chief ) once fire a load of buck shot in the air while running after some shit head. needless to say he dropped like a sack of potatoes and was placed into custody. The Chief would later write his own disciplinary letter and placed it in his employee file. sadly chief Webber passed away a few years back, the big C got him at a young age.

I always like to hear the stories from some of the old timers waiting for retirement to come. they are fading out now so i'm glad i could hear some of them when I could. in the 14 years I worked at the station, I have had several guys i looked up and still do pass away, some from old age, some from alcohol and drugs use and sadly some from Q5.

11. Hush

There are a few legends from the town I grew up in I've heard from guys long retired. One Sergeant was on the desk listening to a pursuit head that way. He went to the gun closet and grabbed a shotgun, shot out the tires as the car went by, and went back inside.

Duff112, zm88, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  12. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

I try to attend at least one training session a year outside of the department, but with the price of ammo and some of these classes it's not financially feasible to take time off AND spend a few hundred bucks.

P,S. love the old stories and the simpler times back then.

zm88 likes this.