Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the military to the state police to community outreach, Nelson Ostiguy has earned 2008 Veteran of the Year nod.

ANDREW T. GALLAGHER/Standard-Times special Nelson Ostiguy was named by the Veterans Transition House as the Southeastern Massachusetts Veteran of the Year.

By Sarah Gonet
Standard-Times correspondent
October 20, 2008 6:00 AM

NEW BEDFORD - If there's one thing Nelson Ostiguy has learned in life, it's the importance of helping those in need.
"Times weren't the easiest for my family when I was younger," recalled the lifelong New Bedford resident and current executive aide to Mayor Scott Lang.
"At this point in my life, it feels good to be able to give a little something back."
That's a big reason why Mr. Ostiguy is scheduled to be honored on Nov. 6 by the Board of Directors of the Southeastern Massachusetts Veterans Housing Program Inc. (better known as the Veterans Transition House) as the 2008 Southeastern Massachusetts Veteran of the Year. Mr. Ostiguy is the 10th person to receive the award.
"Each year we aim to recognize a veteran who has served our country and community," said Fred Macedo of the Veterans Transition House. "Nelson fits that description on every level. He's always there to help people when they need it, time and time again."
Mr. Ostiguy served in the Marine Corps as an infantryman with the 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines, 2nd Marine Division, patrolling with the Fleet Marine Force (6th Fleet), from 1964 to 1968.
He served in Vietnam with Echo Company, 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, 3rd Marine Division 1967-1968. He was sergeant/patrol leader of Recon Team "Crystal Star," which conducted long-range patrols in the I Corps and DMZ areas.
After leaving the Marines, Mr. Ostiguy joined the Massachusetts State Police, serving for more than 27 years, retiring in 1996 with the rank of lieutenant colonel/assistant superintendent. Along the way, he obtained a bachelor's degree from Curry College in Milton.
"It's always been about doing what I can to help people," Mr. Ostiguy said. He and his wife of 37 years, Claudia, have two sons, Benjamin and Zachary. His family also includes 4-year-old Emma, daughter of Benjamin and his wife, Carol.
"My feeling is that we need to be there for each other," said Mr. Ostiguy, who is involved with several civic organization, including the American Red Cross Southcoast Advisory Council, American Heart Association, Medical Reserve Corps, Council on Aging and Veterans Transition House.
This year's award will be presented to Mr. Ostiguy at a formal dinner and dance at the Century House in Acushnet.
Entertainment will be provided by Matty B. To obtain tickets for this event or for further information, contact James Reid, executive director, at (508) 992-5313, Ext. 11, or at [email protected]

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081020/NEWS/810200333

1 - 2 of 2 Posts