Friendly's Announces Bankruptcy, Closes Restaurants | MassCops

Friendly's Announces Bankruptcy, Closes Restaurants

Discussion in 'New England' started by kwflatbed, Oct 5, 2011.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

BOSTON -- After 76 years of providing frappes, burgers and fries, the Massachusetts-based Friendly's chain abruptly closed more than 60 restaurants Tuesday night and announced it was initiating bankruptcy proceedings.

Closed Friendly's Restaurants

The Friendly Ice Cream Corp., announced it had filed a voluntary Chapter 11 petition in order to begin a restructuring process and it said 424 Friendly's restaurants will be open for business as usual during that process.

Read more: Friendly's Announces Bankruptcy, Closes Restaurants - Project Economy News Story - WCVB Boston

2. I say good riddance. The food sucks and the ice cream is mediocre, at best. Really, has anyone ever walked out of a Friendly's and said "Well that was delicious, and I will highly recommend it" ? About the only good thing about it is that the kids can make noise and no one really cares... But even that is redeeming enough.

Sent from my ADR6300

3. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

My brother and his family love it, i dont get the attraction.

4. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

sign of the times i guess.

5. HuskyH-2

I do like the banana split icecream you can buy at te supermarket, though

6. GeepNutt

GeepNutt MassCops Member

They are always understaffed and the sevice is pathetic to say the least. Everyone working there is just so freaking pleasant too!

7. Rock

Rock Undefined

Looks like I've had my last Fribble......... [​IMG]

8. Somebody's Dad

Somebody's Dad MassCops Member

Yeah, the food is mediocre and it's too expensive for what you get, but damn my kid loves it! She'll be bummed. It's her favorite restaurant by far, even wanted her birthday party there!

9. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Actually, yes....they make a hell of a Patty Melt.

Another piece of my childhood threatened. At least they didn't close the one in the town where I live.

10. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

They have great comfort food. My wife likes to bring kids there. A lot of old people eat there. It is an establishment in some communities. Sad for some, good riddance for others.

If it was Five Guys then the president would have thrown em a bone.

11. cc3915

cc3915 Well-Known Member Staff Member

12. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

My parents were divorced so my father would come take us out 3 times a week and Friendlys or The ground Round was always our choice, or the York Steak House.

13. Somebody's Dad

Damn, I remember that place. I loved it as a kid. Friendly's too.

14. 7costanza

The Ground Round in Danvers was my favorite, you could throw popcorn on the floor, they had movies and a little arcade and the food was pretty good.

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Three Stooges on the movie screen, and you could throw the peanut shells on the floor.

"Welcome to the Ground Round, where the more you drink, the better we sound".

16. cc3915

cc3915 Well-Known Member Staff Member

They had the coldest draft beer anywhere.

17. 7costanza

There arent many Ground Rounds left , Salem on Highland Ave and Stoneham , I think its Rte 28.

18. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

19. 5-0

5-0 Guest

I grew up LOVING Friendlies and The Ground Round. I remember the pay what you weigh deal there. It cost my parents 70-80 cents to feed me... now it would cost them $2.00 hahahahaha!!! Unfortunately, Friendlies went completely down the shitter as a business. I haven't had a decent meal there in 10 years. The one in Holden had an amazing waiter though, who always remembered your name, and was the friendliest guy I've ever met. I can't remember his name, but he's pretty fat with black hair and glasses. Even knew my kids' names, and was genuinely happy to serve.

20. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

I actually really like the turkey melt there. The ice cream is real, so full on fat and that in turn plays hell with my lower intestines for some reason.

21. Mass

Mass MassCops Member

Friendly's had a good paty melt, but for what they gave, the prices were too high. The place I really miss allot is China Royal in Fall River!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

The one on Highland Ave became an iHop a few years ago. Not sure if it still is, I haven't been that way in a while.

23. HuskyH-2

Thats eerie 7. My dad did the same thing at groud round when the rents got divorced.

24. Somebody's Dad

I still love a big bowl of their clam chowder. Def. comfort food there.

25. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

I believe the original owner bought the company back and is attempting to make something good out of it again. There is a Friendly's Express in Methuen that is a good improvement on the original restaurant. My wife hates Friendly's, but she is imported from out of state. As a New Englander, it is one of those places I just love.