Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Framingham SC has an opening for Institutional Security Officer. Can anyone explain what this is, and how FSC is to work for? Thanks in advance.

G

·
An ISO is a security officer who works in concert with the Police Officers @ Framingham State. Try PM'ing the FSCPD90 whoever fella's
:roll:

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is right the ISO is only a security officer, they take care of the Building "BS" like admits and closings. They also fill in as a dispatcher when needed. We are also looking to fill a Police Officer position. The departmetnt as a whole- the officers are a good group of guys and gals. We deal with the usual "BS" at the college level but as far as college policing we are middle of the road compared to other departments. In that they don't get mad when you do your job. We handle all of our own problems. We are not armed.We also deal alot with Framingham PD on a reguarl basis.

·
MassCops Member
333 Posts
Well, if you are NOT armed, how do you hanlde all your own problems? Also, what would the difference between an ISO and a "Police Officer" be, seeing as you are both unarmed and essentially security officers?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I believe the ISO's are primarily used to investigate overdue library book fines and what not. I gess one guy had moby dick for two semseters and he got taken down into a chicken wing when he was going across the stage to get his diploma...I am still waiting for my interviews....

·
MassCops Member
333 Posts
THanks for the clarification on the ISOs robodope. However, I still don't see where the "Police" come in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Originally posted by Sarge31 @ Wed 29 Sep, 2004 23:15:
Well, if you are NOT armed, how do you hanlde all your own problems? Also, what would the difference between an ISO and a "Police Officer" be, seeing as you are both unarmed and essentially security officers?

Campus Police Officers has Specail powers granted to them under the General Laws of Massachusetts. Just because a LEO is unarmed, does not diminish his capacities. You seem pretty negative sarge towards anyone who is not a f/t LEO....??? :?: :FM:

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Other than Sinker, no one has offered a true FSC PO Vs. SO comparison, or even an intellectually relevant commentary.

I am interested as well. Please, could a FSC Officer refer back to the original post and add something of value? Segregation of duties, equipment, life on the job, etc...

·
Registered
131 Posts
ISO = Institutional Security Officer. CPO = Campus Police Officer

ISO: Job responsibilities are to secure all academic buildings; perform faculty/staff and student let ins to academic buildings and rooms only. Some ISO's are cross trained as Dispatchers.

ISO's wear a uniform which is a gray or brown shirt and dark blue pants. They also wear a badge that says Institutional Security Officer and a patch which says the same. iso's do not have any powers of arrest, or any police powers at all for that matter which is why they are ISO's and not CPO's. they can wear a duty belt which consists of a radio holder, flashlight holder and key holder if wanted. ISO's are not required to attend any type of academy although some have attended the Massachusetts Reserve intermittent Academy.

CPO: Job responsibilities are to patrol the grounds of the campus including contiguous ways, respond to both emergency calls and non emergency calls for service, uphold and enforce the rules and regulations of the college along with Massachusetts General Laws. All CPO's are expected to investigate crimes and and make arrests or file criminal applications if warranted.

All CPO's are expected to complete a 16 week training academy known as The Special State Police Academy which is located at the Massachusetts State Police Academy in New Braintree. After completing the academy the CPO is issued a warrant for arrest powers from the Superintendent of The Massachusetts State Police, see (M.G.L Chapter 22c Section 63). Many of our CPO's have specialized training in many areas such as: Sexual Assault Investigation, RAD Instruction, FTO Training, Domestic Violence, Drug Identification, Crime scene investigation, Detective School, DT instruction, etc...

CPO's uniforms are a french blue shirt, dark blue pants with blue piping, badge which reads Framingham State College Special State Police Officer, Sergeant, Lieutenant or whatever their rank is. We wear a patch that reads Framingham State college Police on 1 sleeve and an American Flag on the other. Our duty belts consist of plain leather with keepers 2 handcuff holders, either case or strap with 2 sets of real live handcuffs, a radio holder with a radio in it, a baton holder with a baton in it and an OC holder with a real can of full OC. We also wear police boots.

As for working at Framingham State like stated you have to deal with the usual Campus PD BS. We work closely with Framingham PD however we investigate all crimes that happen in our jurisdiction and Framingham does not really patrol in our area because we are here. If a crime happens which requires an arrest we place the suspect into custody and place them into the back of one of our 3 fully marked cruisers, 2 of which are brand new. We then in most cases mirandise the suspect and transport them to either Framingham PD or State Police Headquarters on Rt 9 in Framingham. they are booked by the CO and our officer stands by searches the suspect, fingerprints them if necessary and places them into a holding cell. Our officer will then enter a report narrative with cover sheet into our CAD and log all evidence into our evidence locker, which is later entered into the evidence room by the evidence officer. He/she will also fill out a criminal application. Our court officer will then bring the crim ap down to court the next day and appear if needed. Many times Framingham police will call us for assistance, most recently to assist with a large brawl at an off campus house party where people were stabbed.

I could go on but I am tired of explaining to people that we are real cops. If they don't get it by now then thats their problem. I hope this clears up the question of what it is like to work at FSCPD, and they difference between ISO and CPO.

Feel free to pm me or email me if you have any more questions about employment at FSCPD.

·
MassCops Member
333 Posts
"Our duty belts consist of plain leather with keepers 2 handcuff holders, either case or strap with 2 sets of real live handcuffs, a radio holder with a radio in it, a baton holder with a baton in it and an OC holder with a real can of full OC"

You forgot to mention the empty holster.

Posted Thu 30 Sep, 2004:

"Many times Framingham police will call us for assistance, most recently to assist with a large brawl at an off campus house party where people were stabbed. "

That's crazy! Unarmed officers responding to assist at a stabbing?? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................... :roll:

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
The continuing “real” vs. “fake” police debate is getting old and boring. All points from both sides of the issue have been exhausted in numerous other threads. The original question was asked and answered. FSCPD903 gave a detailed explanation of the differences between the security officer and police officer positions at Framingham State College.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
As I grew up in Natick and lived in that area (Natick Framingham) for quite sometime, and have had positive relations with Framingham PD Officers, I can attest to Fram. State being a damn good PD also. They have been called many times to assist the Town PD. I believe they also do alot of training side by side with FPD. Their Chief is a pretty damn good guy too. I used to work with a former Sgt. over there and he seemed to like it pretty well too...

The gun issue (being unarmed) is not the Officer's or the Chief's choice... I know the Chief wants firearms for his Officers, I've heard that from directly from him. As usual its the Administration / trustees that are holding it up.... it sucks that people who are not Police officers, get to decide whether or not they can carry.

FSCPD, you guys are good.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
fscpd903 - thank you. Thats was a detailed, thoughtful response.
I wish there were more like that on other forums. :thumbup:

·
MassCops Member
333 Posts
All i can say is SECURITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I"m done. End of discussion.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fscpd903--thanks alot for the info. I was a Springfield College cop back in the day(late 80's) for about 12 months. I appreciate everything you guys do. We were not armed then, don't know if they are now. It's a tough job to do anyways, never mind not having the tools of the trade. This I understand is through no fault of your PD. I assume it has to do with the Trustees and admin at the school as it did at SCPD. We even had a guy get cut and the college still wouldn't arm us. Crazy world! Nice job explaing the difference to an old timer like me. Thanks. Let me buy ya a beer :) :t:

Posted Sat Oct 02, 01:15:

Any clue when FSC will be hiring PO's? Also if you don't mind, what's the pay and bennies like? Like my job here, but always keep my options open, ya know :wink:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.