Four police officers down: Police are talking with suspect (NH) | Page 4 | MassCops

Four police officers down: Police are talking with suspect (NH)

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by cc3915, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

GREENLAND, N.H. -- The chief of police in Greenland is recommending that her predecessor be awarded for his bravery.

In a letter to the New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police, Chief Tara Laurent recommended that Chief Michael Maloney be awarded the agency's Medal of Honor for sacrificing himself to protect other officers who came under fire in a drug raid last week.

"Chief Maloney's heroism under life-threatening circumstances embodies courage, strength and selflessness that are beyond measure," Laurent wrote.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/30913665/detail.html#ixzz1sPwC6dLP

The following is a letter sent to the New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police from Greenland Police Chief Tara Laurent recommending that Chief Michael Maloney be awarded the Medal of Honor:

Dear Sirs:

With heavy heart, I make this recommendation for the posthumous awarding of the Medal of Honor to Chief Michael P. Maloney of the Greenland New Hampshire Police Department for his Acts of Conspicuous Bravery, requiring actions above and beyond the normal demands of police service while engaged in a gun fight with an armed adversary on Thursday, April 12, 2012.

Chief Maloney and three Greenland Officers accompanied by six Detectives from the New Hampshire Attorney General's Drug Task Force responded to 517 Post Road to execute a Search Warrant. The officers arrived on scene at 6:20 p.m. and while entering the residence, the officers came under hostile gunfire from within the home. Detective Scott Kukesh was the first officer wounded during the initial volley of fire. As all of the officers retreated for cover, Chief Maloney dragged Det. Kukesh to safety, placed him in a police cruiser, and had him taken to Portsmouth Regional Hospital. Chief Maloney returned to the immediate vicinity of the gun battle to defend other wounded officers to ensure their safe evacuation. Chief Maloney was fatally wounded at that time.

Of Chief Maloney's actions during this horrific incident, Det. Kukesh stated:

"He should be recognized publicly as a hero who ultimately sacrificed his life to save mine."​

Chief Maloney's heroism under life-threatening circumstances embodies courage, strength and selflessness that are beyond measure. I offer my highest recommendation for the posthumous awarding of the Medal of Honor to Chief Michael P. Maloney for his actions on the evening of April 12, 2012.

Respectfully submitted,

Tara Laurent
    Chief of Police

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/30913574/detail.html#ixzz1sPwZbWaD

2. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Wake Held For Fallen Police Chief

Hundreds Of Officers Expected To Attend Wake

HAMPTON, N.H. -- A wake is being held Wednesday for fallen Greenland Police Chief Michael Maloney.

Hundreds of law enforcement officers are expected to attend the wake at Remick & Gendron Funeral Home in Hampton from 1 to 3 p.m. A public wake is planned at the funeral home from 5 to 9 p.m.

Aerial Video: Officers Line Up Outside Maloney Wake

Outside the funeral home, Maloney's empty police cruiser sat with its blue lights flashing. Maloney was shot and killed last week when several officers were attempting to serve a search warrant at a Greenland home.

Nearby businesses have been putting up flags and yellow ribbons to honor Maloney.

Just before 11 a.m., shuttle buses carrying police officers from designated parking lots began arriving.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/30914024/detail.html#ixzz1sQ6l9KtF

3. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

Just got back from the wake. Very sad. Some observations: Very well attended by a mix of federal, state and local law enforcement. Also the transportation from staging area to funeral home was well thought out. Public support was everywhere from signs infront of local businesses to the vets who volunteered at the parking area handing out bottles of water. I hope the family can take some solace in the fact that both the LE community and public honored Chief Maloney as he deserved to be. Rest in peace Chief.

4. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Ditto everything TB said, I just spent three hours in line...was surprised that it was open casket.God bless his family for standing the entire time,I dont know how they do it. Portsmouth PD deserves special kudo's...they really have gone all out.
    Be safe my friends.

5. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

I just heard that Eric Holder is going to speak at the funeral...hope he doesnt turn this political.:mad:

6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

If I'm killed LOD, my wife has a list of politicians who are allowed at my funeral if they want to go. It's a pretty short list....Mitt Romney, Scott Brown, Bob Hedlund, and some local politicians. All the rest can GFT.

7. justanotherparatrooper

watching it at home....couldnt get near Hampton in time due to work. RIP Chief.

Q5-TPR likes this.
  8. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Nuke_TRT likes this.
  9. justanotherparatrooper

As much as I hate him, Holder did ok today and I'll give him kuddo's for not going political. Dave Kirkul did an outstanding job when he spoke though he barely kept it together. What a send off to a great man.

cc3915 likes this.
  10. justanotherparatrooper

good to have you back:)

11. BLUE BLOOD

BLUE BLOOD ...---...

Impressive showing, good to see all the many agencies represented. Q, as I was sitting and listening to Holder I felt the same way. Very articulate and well spoken orator.
    Sen.Kelley Ayotte always gets kudos, won't find a better supporter of Police Officers anywhere, and she is easy on the eyes in person.

12. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

BRENTWOOD, N.H. -
    Four New Hampshire police officers are suing the mother of the man accused of shooting them and killing Greenland's police chief in April.
    Chief Michael Maloney was killed and the four other officers were wounded while trying to serve a warrant at the home of Cullen Mutrie on April 12. Authorities say Mutrie killed a woman in the home before killing himself later that night.
    In a lawsuit filed in Rockingham County Superior Court, the officers argue that Beverly Mutrie wantonly allowed criminal activity to occur at the home, which she owns.

Read more: http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/boston-north/Wounded-New-Hampshire-officers-sue-shooter-s-mother/-/11984708/15968338/-/b6539vz/-/index.html#ixzz22bPhuxu5

13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

That's complete bullshit....the only person responsible for the shooting is dead.

God, I HATE tort lawyers.

topcop14 and 263FPD like this.
  14. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I don't agree with their logic either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delta784 likes this.
  15. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

You know if the incident had played out differently she'd be suing them. Screw it. If she hadn't raised such a scumbag son she wouldn't be getting sued right now.

trueblue and csauce777 like this.
  16. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I don't know about that. I know plenty of cops who have scumbag children. And theses were not neglectful parents mind you. At some point, you can't hold a parent accountable anymore.

Kilvinsky, zm88 and Delta784 like this.
  17. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

I don't see this being any different than slipping and falling at an alarm call at someone's house in the winter or due to a loose step. Don't you guys read Atty. Ballin's briefings in the Sentinel?

Fuck her, her piece of shit son performed intentional criminal acts on her property resulting in death and serious injury. I see the logic behind it, not sure if intentional acts are covered or only wanton.

lofu likes this.
  18. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

I assure you that of my son (God Forbid) turns out to be a scumbag at 29 he won't be living in any property that I own.

Kilvinsky, Johnny Law, MSP75 and 3 others like this.
  19. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

That animal got off easy, he should have been riddled with bullets from an entry team!

right.as.rain and Hush like this.
  20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Yeah, I read them, and I'm constantly amazed at the amount of pussies who wear a badge. The only way I would consider filing a lawsuit against someone is if THEIR deliberate, intentional actions caused me injury. Slipping on ice or a loose step doesn't cut it in my book.

Exactly........HER SON COMMITTED THE INTENTIONAL CRIMINAL ACTS, ***NOT HER***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes the best parenting can go for naught.....there was recently a kid who murdered his mother, sister, and her mother's boyfriend in Weymouth. I knew the mother because she was a cashier at the Stop & Shop I go to, and I knew the father because he lives in my patrol area, and I dealt with him because of his son. Both parents are/were decent people, and their other children are totally normal.

Should the father be held responsible for the actions of his mentally ill son?

Frivolous litigation is one of the things bringing down this country, and I refuse to participate in the scam.

Kilvinsky, frank and 263FPD like this.
  21. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

I'm no lawyer, but I'm making an assumption that since these acts were committed on her property by her son, that makes her responsible for the injuries received on her property, hence my analogy of ice or a loose step. It remains to be seen if these guys will win.

Let's use this as our hypothetical. You are dispatched to a domestic on a quiet street. Your supervisor also is responding, following two other units dispatched as well. The three cruisers come in from a different direction, however since you were in another part of the city, you are coming from the other end of the street. A curious onlooker has followed the three other cruisers to the call, but is parked a distance away watching. As you approach the scene, said moron pulls directly into your path, because he is still watching the scene and NOT the road. A collision occurs with minor damage to the cruiser, major damage to the moron's car, and you have injuries you are transported for. Part of the act was intentional, he followed the cruisers to the call because he was curious. Part was negligent, because he didn't pay attention to the traffic in the road. Using your guidelines, would you simply take IOD until you were better? Or would you take him to task because you lost extra earning potential and you were hurt?

I'm far from being a pussy and I can tell you I did it for several reasons, first and foremost being that if the roles were reversed, don't think for a second a civilian wouldn't tuck it up your ass. Secondly, as a tool to recover my lost earnings (I was doing a ton of details at the time) and I had to go to physical therapy twice a week for my injuries. And lastly as a punishment for this nosy dick going where he shouldn't and eyefucking the scene instead of watching the road.

If you still say you wouldn't sue someone in this situation, you are an infinitely better person than me and the honorable thought of taking the high road isn't going to pay the bills while you are laid up.

lofu likes this.
  22. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

JL, you sued his insurance company. I get that. I would probably do the same. If they are talking about a promises liability, I may even buy the whole thing. But to hold her directly responsible for her dirtbag son, is quite another thing.

Kilvinsky and topcop14 like this.
  23. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I've been out injured 8 times in 24 years, and I've never once filed a lawsuit against anyone, because I knew when I raised my right hand that it was a dangerous job, and I may well get hurt from fighting with scumbag suspects.

I absolutely make no claim that I'm a better person than you, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that I will contribute to the frivolously litigious society that we live in by filing my own frivolous lawsuit, while at the same time I publicly complain about frivolous lawsuits.

Whatever anyone thinks of me, I'm not a hypocrite.

263FPD likes this.
  24. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Not sure how you consider an officer getting injured on the job by the neglect of someone else frivolous.

If you get hit by a drunk driver while on patrol you can and should sue them. Just because this is a dangerous job does not mean you should allow the taxpayer to pay for your medical bills for someone else's actions.

trueblue and Hush like this.
  25. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

A fight is a fight, but flat out neglect on the party of another is a different matter entirely imo.