Four officers shot in Oakland | Page 4 | MassCops

Four officers shot in Oakland

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by Hawk19, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

My head hurts from reading that propaganda. I notice they aren't proud enough to put their name on it though.

2. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

First and foremost:

ALL LE brothers and sisters in ALL types of agencies and locations have suffered a great loss...

RIP you've earned it.

Now as for this bit of blind ignorance and hatred:
    As mourners walked through the streets, they chanted, "OPD you can't hide, we charge you with genocide!"
    Eat shit and bark at the moon:2up:

3. Hawk19

Hawk19 New Member

"The covered badge represents police killed while carrying out the colonial occupation of the African community..."

So far out of left field, they're in the bleacher seats.

4. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Organs donated by Officer John Hege, one of the four slain Oakland police officers, have already saved four lives, and his donated tissue will enhance the lives of up to 50 others, the California Transplant Donor Network said. Hege's liver, kidneys and heart were donated.
    (AP Photo)​

Organs from slain Calif. officer save up to 50 lives

OAKLAND, Calif. — Organs donated by a slain Oakland, California, police officer saved four lives, and his donated tissue will enhance the lives of up to 50 others, the California Transplant Donor Network said Wednesday.
    Officer John Hege, 41, was pronounced brain dead on Sunday but was kept on life support pending a decision on organ donation. He was the fourth Oakland officer to die after a gunman fired on police in two weekend incidents.
    "Officer Hege was registered on the Donate Life California Organ and Tissue Registry, which his family also supports," the donor network said in a news release. "He chose in death as he did in life to help those in need. His organ donations saved the lives of four adult males from California."
    Hege's liver, kidneys and heart were donated, the network said, and the transplants were successfully completed Tuesday and early Wednesday.
    In a written statement, Hege's family said, "Our son John never met a stranger."
    "John's courage and strength was enhanced by his ability to perceive the realities of life," the family said in the statement. "In June 2008, he registered on the Donate Life California Organ and Tissue Donor Registry. We completely and proudly support his decision, and it gives us a great deal of comfort to know that four individuals have received the gift of life because of our selfless and beloved John.
    "Even in death he gave to the lives of those in our community whom he had always loved and supported."
    Hege had been with the Oakland police force about 10 years.
    The man accused of shooting the officers -- Lovelle Mixon, 26, of Oakland -- was fatally shot in a gun battle with SWAT officers in an apartment complex where he was hiding, police said. Authorities said Saturday night that Mixon had an extensive criminal history and was in violation of parole for assault with a deadly weapon.
    The incidents began about 1 p.m. Saturday in east Oakland, when two motorcycle officers tried to pull over a car for a "fairly routine traffic stop," said Dave Kozicki, deputy police chief.
    Emergency dispatchers received reports that two officers had been shot and needed help, he said. Those officers were Hege and Sgt. Mark Dunakin, 40, an 18-year veteran of the force. Dunakin died Saturday.
    Police launched an intense manhunt to track down the gunman. An anonymous caller directed authorities to a building on an adjacent street where the man was believed to be barricaded, acting Police Chief Howard Jordan said.
    The gunman fired on SWAT officers who entered the apartment, hitting two of them before police shot and killed the man, Jordan said. Those two officers -- Sgt. Ervin Romans, 43, and Sgt. Daniel Sakai, 35 -- died. Police said Romans had been with the department since 1996 and Sakai since 2000.
    A fifth officer who was grazed by a bullet was treated at a hospital and released, police spokesman Jeff Thomason said Saturday.

[​IMG]Wire Service​

5. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Even after losing their lives theyre still serving..God bless them.

6. Duff112

Duff112 MassCops Member

If it had been Fenway Park, they'd be on the MassPike....

ABSOLUTE LOONY TUNES

7. dracheritter

dracheritter MassCops Member

I wish they were on the MassPike because maybe they would've been hit by a car by now.

8. JF5

JF5 MassCops Member

The good Lord has a special place for the unselfish.......our prayers are with you and your families!

9. firefighter39

firefighter39 Subscribing Member

What these idiots don't get is that the OPD and all others will still be answering thier calls to 911 in spite of their ignorance. The fact that OPD will still be answering calls in these neighborhoods shows their true professionalism. If one of these protesters needed help the OPD officers would not hesitate to help them.

10. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Oakland Prepares to Remember 4 Fallen Officers

By JASON DEAREN and LISA LEFF
    Associated Press Writers

OAKLAND, Calif. --

They were fathers and sports fans, mentors and husbands doing a gritty job they loved despite the crummy hours and dangers.
    Mark Dunakin, John Hege, Ervin Romans and Daniel Sakai had a half-century's experience in the Oakland Police Department, which was to hold a joint funeral for them Friday at Oracle Arena, the home court of the Golden State Warriors.
    They were all fatally shot in the line of duty Saturday, the biggest single day, gun-related loss of life for law enforcement since four federal agents died 16 years ago during a raid on the Branch Davidian cult in Waco, Texas.
    The 26-year-old parolee accused of killing Dunakin and Hege with an automatic pistol during a traffic stop, then Romans and Sakai with an assault weapon during the ensuing manhunt, also died in a hail of bullets.
    Freeways were to be closed Friday as motorcades shepherd the slain officers' families and caskets to the ceremony from four directions. Officers and firefighters from around the nation and overseas were expected to fill the 16,900-seat arena.
    "For the families, for the surviving officers, the show of support and solidarity from the public and their colleagues is a source of tremendous comfort and strength," said Craig Floyd, chairman of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. "Those survivors realize their loved ones didn't die in vain, that they're being remembered and that they're not alone."
    Losing so many people at the same time would be devastating for any organization, but Oakland's loss is particularly grievous because of the years of service the slain officers had put in and the kind of men they were, people who worked alongside them say.
    Sakai, 35, and Romans, 43, were the valedictorians of their police academy classes. Romans was a weapons expert who trained rookies and superiors alike. Hege, 41, was a former high school PE teacher who joined the motorcycle division just two weeks before Saturday's tragedy.
    Dunakin, 40, was a former homicide detective who was the lead investigator on a case involving one of Oakland's most violent and notorious killing crews, which randomly murdered five people in late 2002 and early 2003. He was married to a sheriff's deputy who retired after she was taken hostage during a restaurant holdup. Sakai's widow is an officer for the University of California.
    "I don't think we've truly come to grasp with how much we've lost. They weren't the types who were gonna put their name out there, they'd just go and do it," said Officer Roland Holmgren, who was participating in the manhunt when Romans and Sakai, his fellow SWAT team members and friends, were killed.
    Oakland Housing Authority Police Chief Carel Duplessis worked as a sergeant when Romans worked as an officer at the authority during the early 1990s. Colleagues recognized Romans as "truly a leader among them," Duplessis said.
    When it came time to negotiate with the agency's managers over working conditions, "Romans' peers chose him to speak on the behalf of the officers."
    If Romans stood out as a leader, Dunakin stood out for his sunny disposition and insistence on being one of the guys. Vallejo Police Chief Robert Nichelini, whose son worked under Dunakin as a motorcycle officer, recalls seeing him on St. Patrick's Day at a monthly buffet dinner hosted by retired Oakland officers.
    On-duty officers are given first dibs to fill their plates, but Dunakin refused to step ahead of him in line, Nichelini says. "I said, 'Hey, Sarge, you are in uniform, get ahead of me.' He said, 'No, Chief, it's OK.' So we're standing together in line getting our food. That was the last time I saw him."
    Pleasant Hill Police Chief Peter Dunbar, who worked in Oakland until three years ago, knew all four officers, and says he will remember Hege for both his steady demeanor and his creativity. Before he was hired in November 1999, Hege spent years as an unpaid volunteer reserve officer and performed administrative tasks to free up officers to work the streets. Even when he was working the night shift, Hege "kept trying to think of better way of doing things."
    "He just loved police work, and different aspects of it," Dunbar said.
    Sakai had been with the 800-officer department for the shortest time, since December 2000, but like the others made a lasting impression. A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, he often impressed colleagues with both his intelligence and his grin.
    Sakai "had a subtle sense of humor, an ever-glowing smile to him. He was very humble and reserved and professional and extremely smart," Holmgren said.
    Paul Schroeder, a fraternity brother of Sakai's at Berkeley, recalled that when Sakai pledged Alpha Sigma Phi in 1991 the other members were thrilled to have him.
    Sakai remained active in the fraternity as an alumnus and a few years ago spoke to a local chapter meeting about his job, bringing along the police dog that was his partner at the time.
    "I thought how unbelievably brave to be an Oakland cop instead of a cop in the suburbs where nothing ever happens," said Schroeder. "Every time my wife would hear about something bad happening to an Oakland cop, I would say, 'Man, I hope it isn't him.'"
    ___
    Associated Press writer Juliana Barbassa contributed to this report.

[​IMG]Wire Service

11. Duff112

Duff112 MassCops Member

Thanks Harry- I needed that. What a sh***y day.

12. PapaBear

PapaBear MassCops Member

Rough Narrative of the Oakland (CA) Incident

I received this in an email today. I cannot verify all of the data but it was forwarded by a retired LEO. Apparently, it was also authored by a LEO.

13. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Thanks Papabear, I hope the sister will be charged under the draconion gun laws that are so often applied to honest gun owners in CAli.

14. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

They shot that piece of shit 50 times, good!, and I hope he felt every round!

15. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

PapaBear, that was good to read. I hope these riots don't materialize, but if they do, I hope someone out there in a position of authority recognizes that no quarter should be given. Shoot looters and tear gas the hell out of any mobs. If they end up burning down their own neighborhood, so be it, keep the FD on the perimeter to put out any fires that cross the line, otherwise, let it burn.

16. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to President Obama's America. This is what the lemmings voted for. I hope they enjoy it.

Stay safe, keep your heads down...and stick your neck out for nobody but kith and kin. This is just the beginning.

17. sean37

sean37 MassCops Member

can someone speak to what charges may be filed against the sister. She admits to storing a gun that was used in the commission on a murder. if it had not have been there the dirtbag probably wouldnt have gone there. Thoughts?

18. Kilvinsky

No doubt she'll claim:

a) I didn't know they were there.
    b) He had me so scared I didn't dare NOT keep them for him (which seeing how this scuzball acted, could be a legitimate defense.)
    c) I ain't tellin' you nothin'.
    d) I don't have a brother and those weren't his guns.
    e) I was in Sacramento at the time
    f) I don't speak English, sorry
    g) Talk to my lawyer
    h) will this get me on the cover of People Magazine?
    i) I plead insanity

19. mikey742

mikey742 Subscribing Member

Saw this today and thought i would pass it on.

A View from Oakland

Ms. Denise Harvey, a longtime resident and citizen of Oakland, Calif., wrote a heartfelt letter to Bonnie Hayes, our Director of Retail Operations, March 28, about the killings of Oakland Sergeant Mark Dunakin, Sergeant Ervin Romans, Sergeant Daniel Sakai, and Officer John Hege. With her permission, we would like to share it with all of you.

Thank you, Ms. Harvey, for your moving and insightful words.

Hello Bonnie,

I am writing to you because I am deeply saddened by the recent murders of our Oakland police officers. Oakland has many problems and crime is a huge part. There is a twisted mindset that looks upon those sworn to protect and serve as the enemy, instead of fellow human beings trying to ensure the safety of our city. I'm a 54 year-old Black woman who can recall past inequities and injustices but still, I do not understand it.

When I moved to Oakland in 1987, I came to a city beleaguered by drugs, crime, and violence. Hard-working citizens were overrun by people who cared nothing for those trying to live in peace. My grandmother moved from the home she shared with my grandfather for more than 60 years because one too many young men she watched grow to manhood staggered onto her porch to die. This recent tragedy makes it even harder for those who live and work in Oakland.

How do you recruit good people for a police force that is under-funded, under siege, and at odds with the communities they are sworn to protect? Crimes are unsolvable because those affected by them are afraid to step forward. Quality of life crimes are low priorities because heinous crimes overwhelm the force charged with investigating and solving them. Some citizens enable this twisted mindset by parroting the same tired rhetoric of the 60's and 70's when the people they refer to would not be willing or qualified to accept a job if it was gift wrapped and handed to them.

In this dark hour, with families devastated by the violent loss of husbands, fathers, brothers and uncles, I wanted to tell you that I appreciate the work done by those who raise their hands and swear to uphold and protect the citizens of their towns and cities. I'm not so starry-eyed as to believe that all are perfect or well-suited to the task at hand. Nevertheless, I believe that most who swear to protect and serve do so because they want to make things better for the citizens within their purview.

I wanted to share my feelings with you because I am rocked to the core by this insane occurrence. I am looking at the badge I purchased in honor of the election of President Obama and weep at the words inserted in the case. "A matter of honor." Four men lost their lives because of a matter of honor. I weep for their families. I weep for our city. I weep for the citizens who fail to understand the magnitude of this loss. It's just so sad and senseless, Bonnie. It's just so sad.

But when I leave for work each morning, I will wave to the officer in the patrol car, and note if he's cute. I will shout out appreciation when a citizen gets nailed for parking where they shouldn't and thereby impeding traffic. But without fail, I will say a silent prayer that the officer I see in the black and white car returns to his or her family, safe and unharmed.

For those around you, please let them know. All Black residents of Oakland do not condone the actions of the sociopath that took the lives of our police officers. Please let them know that there are people in Oakland who care about their well-being and the difficult job they face everyday.

Take care,

Denise Harvey

20. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

I like Denise Harvey. A well written and thought out letter. Kudos!

21. Nighttrain

Nighttrain MassCops Member

+1. A letter like that helps remind us all why we do the job and who we do it for. There are still lots of good folks out there who support us.

22. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Thanks, PapaBear for the post. Even though its not verified, I still forwarded it to some of the guys on my job, so we can learn from this tragedy and try to come up with better ways to save some of our own.

23. Kilvinsky

That letter was truly written by a wonderful woman. I'm sure we all don't hear it that often and sometimes when we hear it, it's said by someone who's a little, shall we say, 'under the weather' and may just be trying to be a pal*, but those simple 'thank you's' and words of appreciation can really make my day. I am grateful to this woman because, though she's specifically talking about the Oakland PD, she's touching all cops with her words.

*How sad is that? I don't know about any of you, but that's the first thing that comes to mind when a drunk tells me how great me and my colleagues are. Under siege all right.