Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting....

""Yesterday afternoon I heard an MSP cruiser on A-PTL-3 say after several license/warrant checks "Don't you wish they hadn't taken out MDT's away". I know there have been several threads on this board and other area yahoogroups about the the recent lack of MDT's in MSP cruisers but this sounded like the condition has recently gotten even worse in the Boston Area. I noticed recently that many of the States MDT frequencies seem to have no activity or very little. I know there are some new laptops out there but I wonder how many of the old Motorola MDT's from the METs days still exist. It's pretty sad that where almost every MDC cruiser had one that though the State has expanded the trunked system that the MDT system has fallen apart. I suppose this may be more to lack data speeds and that a move towards CDMA 2X and EDVO cards can just do a better job but it would seem until they are ready to build that all out that the old ones where better than nothing. I also think that the State would be better off taking a page from BPD and setting up a Statewide talkgroup for computer checks. A couple of dispatchers working fulltime at a specific computer location and cruisers would just switch to that channel for normal checks and then return to the Troop after they get their info. It would really clear up traffic on the main Troop channels. """

·
Registered
164 Posts
The old MDT's are no longer supported by current hardware and software. I think I saw that out of the new grant $, 500 MSP cruisers are going to be bought and equipeed with new MDT's.

G

·
All of the old style MDTs were taken off-line a couple of months ago. The dept. started issuing the new laptops with new cruisers last year. I'm not sure on the exact number, but there should be a few hundred on-line statewide. It is a cellular (not radio freqs) based system. A good portion (but not all) of the new cruisers should have the new laptops in them.

·
MassCops Member
81 Posts
Unfortunately, out here in the Berkshires, we will never get laptops...Verizon will not help us out here. Its like we are the black sheep of the state. Hell, our radios dont even work most of the time. We end up having to run a listing with our personal cell phones...(when they work) :( It either takes forever for us to get anything, or we dont get it at all...... IT SUCKS!!!! :evil:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
No, he's not, like many things in the state, Western MA gets the sh*t end of the stick, even when it comes to police radios. By the way, they are outfitting the 2002 cruisers with the laptops.

·
MassCops Member
81 Posts
No I am not shitting you.. Most of the State is on the 800 radio with A plt. 1, or out here B ptl. 1. Out in the Berkshires, we have to use Itac 3 on the 800 radio. Its kinda like using direct or a walkie talkie. Very low coverage, about 5 miles. If i am a mile from the barrack, half the time it still doesnt work. The rest of the State uses our low band radio as a talk about channel to request lunch or a coffee or to shoot the shit. That is our main radio out here. We are pretty much the only ones now that have the big whip antenna on the cruisers to help get better reception, but it doesnt always work. When we go to a domestic, as soon as we leave the cruiser, the barracks wont hear back from the braves until they return to the cruiser and hope that the radio works. Thats when the cell phone comes in handy. We actually had a few foot pursuits where we were calling in our 6 on a cell phone. Imagine that, running after a shit bag and having to dial the phone to call for backup. It happens out here in no mans land and people don't believe it. People make fun of us out west because we are behind the times, but you try doing this job with no radios and having to patrol 16 towns that have either no or little local police and do it with a desk and 2 patrols.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
GMACK24 said:
I noticed recently that many of the States MDT frequencies seem to have no activity or very little. """
who is the cool kid that listens to static for a good time? :shock:

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
I remember those Berkshire days before 800's, cell phones AND AIR CONDITIONED cruisers, AM / FM radio, power windows and working scanners!!!!!

mid shifts listening to..........NOTHING! :lol:

·
MassCops Member
81 Posts
I may be pissing and moaning about the radio situation, but i love working out here in the boonies. I guess you get kinda use to it. Its a 35 min. ride, so its not too bad and i'm not looking to leave for a while.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,661 Posts
I'm sure there might be some DOJ grant money to help with the commo problems if you could get someone to just...................arrrrrghgh.........
:pirate:

Oh no! The money isn't available anymore, something about it being spent on some cool gym clothing! Sorry Charley!
:shock:

·
Subscribing Member
58 Posts
The new fully marked cruisers are coming with the big-ass side mount whip antenna again.
The semi-unmarked cars have th trunk mount like in the last several years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
CenterMass said:
Do any departments still use the system that the old MSP MDTs work off of?
The MSP has shut down the old MDT system since we've started moving to the laptops. They didn't want to pay to maintain an outdated system. So, guys like me who obtained surplus MDTs on their own and had them installed are SOL since the job is reluctant to retrofit new laptops into older sleds. Who knows, Christmas is coming! :santa:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.