Former LEO reserve suggestions | MassCops

Former LEO reserve suggestions

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by blueline84, Feb 22, 2014.

1. blueline84

blueline84 New Member

Hey fellas,

Recently relocated back to RI from Louisiana. Worked as a Deputy Sheriff (patrol) down there almost 3 years . POST certified and a bunch of other certs as well. (I see from this forum sheriffs depts in MA can be looked down on, down south the sheriffs depts are the police)

I Contacted the woman in charge of the POST academy in Ma and was advised my La POST would not transfer because my academy was shorter than the Ma academy.

Anyways... I'm finishing up a 2nd degree and I miss LE work. Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of a Dept that has a real reserve program. I'm not looking to go out and direct traffic or write parking tickets, and certainly not looking to put on a uniform and told that you can't carry a firearm . I would like to actually make an impact and assist with the real police work.

I am located in rI so a dept within 45mins of prov woulda be ideal.

Thanks in advance

2. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

I believe Swansea MA still hires reserves. Freetown did as of a few years ago. Wareham hires summer specials and I believe they still allow some to work year around. Keep an eye on the job postings on this forum. I'd also call the MPTC and ask if your academy could count for the reserve academy here. You may get lucky and just have to attend the law classes.

3. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

We don't look down on Sheriff's departments; the deputies that work the tiers have a difficult, dangerous and thankless job, much the same as corrections officers. What police departments in Mass resent is when Sheriffs departments exceed their mandate of care and custody of inmates and try to do actual policing, despite having little training and virtually no facilities or infrastructure to support such work. Its all a political game to whip up support for Sheriffs during election years and takes money and equipment from departments who have an actual need of money and equipment. There are no "county taxes" therefore Sheriff's departments are fully funded by the state, hence every dollar going to Sheriff's "Marine Units" or "Motorcycle Units" is a dollar not going to state or local policing.

Of course, we're all aware that in some other states that's not the case, with county Sheriff's and Police departments providing valuable police services.

4. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Don't forget about all the federal grant money they hoover up for shit that they have no legitimate need for such as mobile command posts, armored vehicles, patrol boats, etc.

Sent from my flux capacitor using 1.21 jigawatts

5. blueline84

blueline84 New Member

Had no idea the SO in Ma gets there $ funded by the state ...certainly seems like money could be spent more wisely on resources targeted towards specific job performances... If the PDs are providing enforcement services seems silly to fund the SO to purchase said "mobil command" and "armored vehicles" etc when those funds could directly go to the departments providing those specific enforcement services....interesting, I assume politics from way back in the day are playing a role here.

6. soxrock75

soxrock75 BOOM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

frank likes this.