Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many other dispatch centers have forced overtime on a regular basis ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
We have seven full-time dispatchers and no part-timers at all. By contract we also have minimum staffing for dispatch,

A Division 2345-0745 = 1 Dispatcher X 7 Days a week

B Division 0745-1545 = 2 Dispatchers x 7 Days a week

C Division 1545-2345 = 2 Dispatchers x 7 Days a week

If overtime comes up and no one wants it they will order someone to work it or order a 4 OVER and 4 UNDER. Usually when it gets to this point the dispatchers will work it out themselves so no one person gets screwed.

Ed

·
Registered
371 Posts
Erose said:
Just curious how many other dispatch centers have forced overtime on a regular basis ?
9 Full-Time Dispatchers w/ 3 assigned to each shift, 4&2 schedule. There are 2 on duty at all times. If someone bangs in sick or an OT is not filled then the on duty dispatcher w/ the least times ordered is the one ordered over. If it's a tie then it's by seniority. You also can't work more than 17 hrs so you have to factor in if someone is already on a double. If both dispatchers are on doubles then someone from home gets ordered in and if thats not possible, then finally it would be offered up to a patrolman. All of the above scenerios have happened by the way. The OT is for the full 8hrs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
3 forced OT's in the last 24 Hr. period and I voluntarily took 2 overtime shifts. It just keeps getting worse. This morning they forced one of the new employees who is not fully trained because myself and the other dispatcher on the overnight shift were on doubles. Talk about a liability issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Forced OT here is a last resort and hasn't happened in recent memory. OT is scarce and people take it pretty quickly. I was hoping to get called in this weekend but I guess no one called in sick or anything....

We also have shift minimums. OT can be for the full 8 or divided up into 4 hours. Actually it can be divided up any way you want. We just can't work more then 12 hours or we'll get in trouble.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Haven't run into forced OT yet either. 5 total dispatchers (one per shift), 3 on 5 eights and 2 on 4 tens.

If there is OT, goes by seniority, then if no one wants its it get offered amongst the officers. One of them usually sucks it up.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We have 7 FT (4&2 schedule) and 4 PT dispatchers to fill in the holes. When an open shift comes up, PT guys get first dibs, and then it goes to the FT crew. There is a force-in list made up of FT dispatchers, and the person on top gets forced if everyone else says no, and then moves to the bottom of the list.

Of course, not everyone calls back, so if you are 3rd or 4th on the list, it is not uncommon to get forced in...

-Mike

·
Registered
447 Posts
:lol: :L: :L: :L:

I wish we had the problem with forced over time. I have gone 5 month's with out any extra hours even being offered to me. Same with the other full time dispatchers. And I can not remember the last time a part time dispatcher was called and asked to work any open shifts. My dept would rather put police officers on the desk either creating officer safety issues and/or police officer over time. Tell me is it cheaper to pay a police officer time and a half or a dispatcher?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try this one, on the day shift we are requiered to have 4 Dispathcers. Today there are 4 over times. It is getting so bad that I have a hard time getting a day off. We are so understaffed that it is becoming a safety issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems that a whole shift, (days,1st,last) can get the day, so the people on the shift before get stuck to work another 8 hours. Understaffing is an understatement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yet again,COLE and myself forced for the day shift, I wish I could start hiring people for the job ? ](*,)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forced OT

We have forced OT on a regular basis too. Because it was so bad we eventually had language put in our contract stating we could not be ordered to work more than 4 hours at a time. We also get double time for being ordered in. We thought the money thing would make management take notice, but they don't care. We have 4 full time dispatchers and are currently training 8 new parttimers. Problem is the parttimers never take the shifts. Trying to get time off is a nightmare!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.