·
Subscribing Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Published: August 26, 2008 06:30 am ShareThisPrintThis
Flower shop owner injured in bike crash
By Tom Dalton
Staff writer

SALEM - A well-known local businessman was listed in fair condition yesterday at a Boston hospital after being injured in a bicycle accident.
David Eng, the owner of Dave Eng Flowers on Derby Street, suffered broken bones and head injuries in the 6:20 p.m. accident Sunday near the corner of North (Route 114) and Franklin streets, according to police and a family member.
Eng, 59, of 29 Fairmount St., was riding home from work when his bike and a car collided. He was taken to Salem Hospital and then flown by helicopter to Beth Israel Hospital in Boston.
He suffered broken ribs, a broken collarbone and head injuries, according to his wife, Jackie Eng.
"Clearly, his injuries are to the right side of his body," she said.
Eng was not wearing a helmet, according to his wife.
"He does wear his helmet, knows you're supposed to wear a helmet, but this day he didn't," she said.
Eng and his wife had worked on the flowers for a wedding earlier Sunday in their Derby Street shop. She left around 2 p.m. while he stayed to do other work, she said.
"We were actually going out for dinner," she said. "He had called me around 5 (p.m.) to say, 'I'm on my way home.'"
Eng often rides his bike to work from his North Salem home, according to his wife. The accident happened shortly after he crossed over the North River overpass.
Jackie Eng said she was able to talk to her husband at both Salem Hospital and Beth Israel and said that, despite his injuries, he was in good spirits.
"He was teasing the nurses, which is a good sign," she said. "But he clearly doesn't remember what happened."
According to the police report, both Eng and the driver of the car, Emily Regan of Salem, were headed westbound on North Street toward Peabody.
"Regan was turning right onto Franklin Street, and Eng struck the right front fender," according to the report, which is based on witness accounts.
Police have not issued any citations in the case

1 - 1 of 1 Posts