Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,171 Posts
The FTO process is pretty strict, but it has to be. Law enforcement here is a little bit different than good ole' Massachusetts. Having worked in both areas I feel competent in expressing an opinion on the matter.
The testing process is pretty generic. However field training is most important because of the issues the recruits face. Testing one's ability to perform under pressure or in the heat of battle is paramount to a successful training. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the PD is going to wash someone out right away. Plenty of opportunities are provided for improvement. Obviously if the recruit isn't "getting it" then it is time to go. In my department recruits are in field training for a total of 10-11 weeks; 5 weeks with one FTO, 4 weeks with another FTO, then one or two weeks in "shadow" (the recruit is in their own cruiser and the FTO follows/assists them on their calls/car stops, etc.). A majority do make it through the process, only a few drop out or are terminated.
Frankly, I would rather see some idiot not make it than have to "grin and bear it" as most do in the silly circus environment of Massachusetts. Because there you own them.
It's not a bad gig around here; lots to do, no layoffs, and most importantly no snow!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.