Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im looking into getting certified in the state of Florida. To my understanding, a BAT (basic ability test) is the first requirement, followed by their Basic Recruit Training Program. I have not been able to locate any decent info on what this 'training program' is exactly ie. (How long it runs, program structure, out of state applicant procedures) Does anyone have any feedback on this? Also does Florida honor a Mass basic academy certification to bypass their training program prior to getting certified?

As always, much thanks

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
I'm confused. But anyway. If you have a FT Mass academy, Florida will accept it and you go through their "Equivalency of Training" process. Google it.

·
MassCops Member
168 Posts
I haven't been a cop in Florida for 3 years but when I was there this is how it went:

Each county has their own Academy (usually at a community college/college). Some counties are more laid back then others but they are all required to teach exactly the same Police Academy Curriculum put out by FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) and meet the same physical/DT/firearm hours. Each county also differs a little pre-academy. Some counties you have to take the CJBAT test and pass a physical and other's the FJBAT and a physical (which are usually held at the colleges) before you can apply for a department.

I can't speak for all of Florida but I attended the Broward County Police Academy at the Institute of Public Safety. It was 790 hours long and about 5.5 months. It was para-military style M-F but we got to go home at the end of the days and weekends.

Florida will take a Massachusetts full time academy but you will have to take an EOT course at an academy (think they run usually 5 weeks) and then pass the State Certification Exam. I believe they may also take the Special State Police Academy as well now. They will not take the Massachusetts Reserve Academy. In Florida their is only ONE certification, you are either Full Time FDLE certified or you are nothing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't been a cop in Florida for 3 years but when I was there this is how it went:

Each county has their own Academy (usually at a community college/college). Some counties are more laid back then others but they are all required to teach exactly the same Police Academy Curriculum put out by FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) and meet the same physical/DT/firearm hours. Each county also differs a little pre-academy. Some counties you have to take the CJBAT test and pass a physical and other's the FJBAT and a physical (which are usually held at the colleges) before you can apply for a department.

I can't speak for all of Florida but I attended the Broward County Police Academy at the Institute of Public Safety. It was 790 hours long and about 5.5 months. It was para-military style M-F but we got to go home at the end of the days and weekends.

Florida will take a Massachusetts full time academy but you will have to take an EOT course at an academy (think they run usually 5 weeks) and then pass the State Certification Exam. I believe they may also take the Special State Police Academy as well now. They will not take the Massachusetts Reserve Academy. In Florida their is only ONE certification, you are either Full Time FDLE certified or you are nothing.
Ok good to know. Thanks for the info!

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
Just to expand on FordMustang's post a little more, in order to qualify for a Florida excemption you also must have one year of full time law enforcment experience. Also EOT course are variable throughout the state. There is one place in the pan handle that does it in a week but you have to study alot of the legal on your own, most others are 2 or 3 weeks. As far as SSPO goes, they will take it provided that you have a documented firearms qual. Also it helps if you've covered mv law. I know some sspo classes didn't have this. If you have a RI and Full SSPO combo you stand a good chance of getting it approved. I'll also second that the RI DOES NOT count own it's own despite some folks in the past trying to tell me otherwise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For pre academy testing, which test (FJ BAT or CJBAT) gives you the most options as far as places to apply? (sorry for waking a dead thread, just trying to max my options in one testing trip)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts