Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Always Watching
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An 18-month-old has died after her mother inadvertently left the girl in the back seat of the car while she went inside to teach at a Panama City elementary school.

Authorities say the child's mother, Jamie Buckley, did not discover her daughter, Reagan, until the end of the school day Tuesday. A press release from the sheriff's office stated Reagan was still in her car seat and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Authorities say she had been in the car in the parking lot of Cedar Grove Elementary School since before 7:30 a.m.

Temperatures in the area rose to 83 degrees Tuesday.

Reagan's death is at least the third child death from being left in a hot car so far this year.
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...-305953671.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_CTBrand

This is where we've come as a society. Another child dead as a result of divided attention issues.
I still don't understand how you can forget the location of most important person in your life but i'll bet she didn't forget her cell phone. Have the courage to admit when you've taken on too much and the balls to step down and lock in your needs vs. wants.
If people don't get their priorities straight soon, demorats will file legislation mandating that all newborns be implanted with their parents cell phones...

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Someone really needs to come up with some sort of sensor that alerts parents when the child is still in the car seat. They could link to some type of receiver you put on your key chain. If there's weight in the car seat and the transmitter and receiver are more than 50 yards apart; then, an alarm goes off. Either that or something that sense when the car is turned off and gives a Disney World type reminder "Remember to take you belonging and small children with you."

I know neither would be fool proof and some nitwit would ignore it or forget to put batteries in the thing and sue, but it'd be better than reading these stories every couple of months.

Personally, the easiest thing would be to put your pocket book/wallet or other "must have" item (cell phone) on the back floor under the seat the car seat is on.

·
Always Watching
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HH, Sadly these sensors will be necessary to replace the common sense lacking in these screw ups once they've reproduced but i'd prefer stronger prevention. I can only imagine they'll need an alert to remind them to feed, bathe and change these poor kids until they can help themselves. If you know you're a screw up, i'd rather fund your sterilization.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts