Fitness incentives | MassCops

Fitness incentives

Discussion in 'Training' started by apd69, Sep 20, 2009.

1. apd69

apd69 New Member

Looking for information related to any departments that have PT incentives. Any info can be forwarded to [email protected]

2. kttref

kttref New Member

Well...it's for the PD...

We get a "day off slip" if we pass the physical agility test (or obstacle course). However, anyone that was hired post 7/1/07 is required to take the test and stay w/in certain height/weight ranges.

3. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

I thought the Boston Herald has the skinny on that?

4. Simon

Simon Guest

height/weight range ????? Good thing you got on before THAT took place.

5. Unit23

Unit23 MassCops Member

Other than having time to work out during work I do not know of any paid or days off incentives in Mass.

If there are any mass pds that have this please let me know cuz I don't have any incentive other than my own pride to stay in shape.

6. mpr4601

mpr4601 MassCops Member

We get $10 a week for passing height/weight requirements or body fat %, whichever you can pass with.

7. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

Here's an incentive; stay in shape so when your in a fight for your life you can last long enough for your back-up to arrive. Not much more incentive is needed for me. Can't put a $ amount on that.

Chitownlost likes this.
  8. Unit23

Unit23 MassCops Member

I completely agree however if my back needs the extra incentive to get his/her ass in shape to back me up.

The reality is that we all like extra money and if you are working 16 hours a day then a good work out gets put on the back burner for some good sleep (equally important). I think this is why I have only heard of PDs allowing gym time on shift, it makes it easier for an officer to stay in shape and doesn't have any effect on the budget.

9. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Yeah, I have some suspicions that we may be doing the journalist's job for him on this one, or at least giving him a heads up on where to begin.

I call for a close of this thread before the Herald or Janet Wu and the I-Team use info from us to slam more brother officers on their properly negotiated benefits like Fox 25 did to MSP earlier in the year regarding their "state of the art" facilities in each of the barracks.

10. Simon

Simon Guest

MY fitness goals are dampened by long hours and free meals at Cinnabon...........

Although I agree with you on the abilities of the media to search these forums, I disagree with your assertion that the OP has ill intent. If you look at his prior posts, it appears that he is a LEO.

11. Simon

Simon Guest

Yah, those are killing me at 4.75 a whack !!!!!

12. L4G81

L4G81 MassCops Member

NOT IMPRESSED by the way Snipe! They are not really that good ... I was dissapointed after hearing how you think they are so good ... haha.

13. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

If cops were allowed to shoot people in the ass then there would be no need for an incentive.

14. Motorcop

Motorcop MassCops Member

Apd69 you wouldn’t happen to work for a news paper would you?
    Today Monday September 21, 2009 the Joint Committee on Public Service held a hearing on HB 2472 a bill written by Representative Bradley Jones. This bill purposes no member of any police or fire department within the Commonwealth shall receive additional payments, beyond regular compensation as defined by section 1 of Chapter 32 of the General Laws, for completing physical fitness requirements.
    Could just be a coincidence that you start this post on the other hand…………..
    </SPAN>

15. apd69

apd69 New Member

No, been OTJ for 15 years! Apparently my simple request has aroused suspicion amongst everyone. Let me re-post my request. Our new Chief (Livningstone) is supportive of PT on duty with no strings attached. We're not looking to make any money, pork guys with more calls, or use it as a perk to slide out the door early. Does any PD have a program where they allow guys to work out on duty and if so how has it been implemented and pitched to the town.

I'm riding the pine right now if you'd like to call and confirm that I don't work for the local rags!

16. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Whether you are legit or not, you certainly can understand our reluctance to speak publicly on this issue. Our next post used as ammunition for the next Boston Herald/I-Team "Expose" of how cops bilk you out of your hard-earned tax dollars with multimillion dollar gym facilities.

17. apd69

apd69 New Member

Good point. Nothing further from me on this topic.

18. MetrowestPD

MetrowestPD MassCops Member

They already did this story with the MSP, it's probably why the bill was proposed.

The Hiller Instinct - State Police perks

The hypocritical media will run two stories back to back, one will show a bunch of overweight cops and how they can't do the job. The next night it will be that the taxpayers are paying to have officers pass a pat test, can't win a media argument with that type of spin.

19. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

Can't wait for your department to shit can your ass one year
    short of retirement because they don't like you and it'll save money.

20. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

You lucky bastard...