Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Campus Police Officer I FSC Functional Title Campus Police Officer I Job Category AFSCME (Shift II) Department Campus Police Duties & Responsibilities (Full job classification specifications on file in the Human Resources Dept.)
1. Patrol buildings, grounds and adjacent areas of a state educational institution by foot or patrol vehicle.

2. Enforce state laws as well as the rules and regulations of the institution; restrain or arrest suspects when necessary.

3. Investigate incidents/crimes and handle appropriately including related paperwork.

4.Provide assistance to courts or grand juries in the prosecution of cases.

5. Enforce campus traffic and safety regulations.

6. Perform related work as required and assigned by supervisor Minimum Qualifications 1. At least one year appropriate experience.

2. Ability to successfully pass the Massachusetts State Police Academy medical examination, pre-screening (which includes physical endurance testing) and successfully complete the Special State Police Recruit Academy as prescribed under the MGL chapter 22C sec. 63. Failure to meet the entrance requirements or to successfully complete the course of training shall result in dismissal or, for lateral appointment within the bargaining unit, return to previously held position in accordance with the AFSCME Agreement.

3. Candidates must understand that there is an 18-month contractual commitment following Academy Training.

4. Ability to complete firearms training and certification per State and college requirements.

5. Possess a current and valid Massachusetts Class D motor vehicle operator's license.

6. Knowledge of the principles & correct usage of the English language, including grammar/punctuation/spelling.

7. Ability to prepare written reports of investigations, maintain accurate records and analyze data.

8. Ability to follow and provide effective oral and written instructions in a precise, understandable manner.

9. Ability to exercise sound judgments; maintain calm manner in stressful situations; make decisions and act quickly in emergency/dangerous situations, and maintain confidential information.

10. Working knowledge of police procedures and practices and fire prevention methods; ability to recognize fire hazards.

11. Working knowledge of the law of arrest and criminal procedure in lower courts.

12. Working knowledge of the rules and regulations pertaining in general to the buildings and grounds of a state educational institution and the ability to apply and explain the policies and procedures to others.

13. Ability to maintain student discipline.

14. Ability to walk alone for long periods of time both indoors and out under varying climate conditions.

15. Ability to apprehend prowlers or others who break the law.

16. Ability to work harmoniously with college staff, students and the public.

17. Ability to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.

18. Must be able to satisfactorily pass a check conducted by the Criminal History Systems Board (CORI check). Preferred Qualifications Weekly Salary:
(Classified Positions Only) $615.79 Shift/Work Hours Tuesday-Saturday, 11:00am-7:00pm Posting Date 10-07-2008 Closing Date 10-21-2008 Special Instructions to Applicants Candidate recommended for employment will be required to take a pre-employment physical. Affirmative Action Statement: It is the policy and commitment of Fitchburg State College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, marital status, or national origin in its educational programs, activities, admissions, or employment policies, and to comply with the requirements of Federal Executive Orders 11246 and 11375 as amended, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended, Title IX of the Educational Act of 1972, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 402, Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1988, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), the Civil Rights Act of 1991, and pertinent laws, regulations, and Executive Orders, directives of the Board of Higher Education of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and other applicable state and federal statutes. Posting Number 0100112

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,796 Posts
Campus Police Officer I FSC Functional Title Campus Police Officer I Job Category AFSCME

4. Ability to complete firearms training and certification per State and college requirements.

17. Ability to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.

Affirmative Action Statement: It is the policy and commitment of Fitchburg State College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, marital status, or national origin in its educational programs, activities, admissions, or employment policies, and to comply with the requirements of Federal Executive Orders 11246 and 11375 as amended, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended, Title IX of the Educational Act of 1972, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 402, Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1988, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), the Civil Rights Act of 1991, and pertinent laws, regulations, and Executive Orders, directives of the Board of Higher Education of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and other applicable state and federal statutes. Posting Number 0100112
4. State police Cert Unit will have it's fingers and noses in everything!

17. FSC prefers NOT to encourage those with disabilities.

RUN AWAY!!!! it's AFSCME

·
Duke of Campus Police
524 Posts
What about Chapter 90?
What would you like to know? perhaps this part of CH90C/s.1?;

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XIV. PUBLIC WAYS AND WORKS

CHAPTER 90C. PROCEDURE FOR MOTOR VEHICLE OFFENSES

Chapter 90C: Section 1. Definitions
"Police officer", any officer, other than an investigator or examiner of the transportation division of the department of telecommunications and energy, authorized to make arrests or serve criminal process, any person appointed by the registrar under section 29 of chapter 90, any person appointed by the trustees of the University of Massachusetts under section 32A of chapter 75, any person appointed by the trustees at each of the commonwealth's state and community colleges under section 22 of chapter 15A, and any person appointed by the colonel of state police under section 59 of chapter 22C.

Just to be clear that's all the cops in the UMass system, the State and Community College system, and the Department of Mental Health/Retardation.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,796 Posts
interview went really good.. they really liked how I'm in the Marine Corps and know alot about weapons and general police work..and no i havent been to the academy yet.
I can believe that...Their firearms instructor threw his pistol about fifteen feet downrange at Dartmouth in 05'
:p
Where'd you learn "general police work?"

G

·
interview went really good.. they really liked how I'm in the Marine Corps and know alot about weapons and general police work..and no i havent been to the academy yet.
Thanks for your service, but I really truly doubt that a campus police department is interested in your knowledge of WEAPONS.... Other than that, good luck.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You must have had a prior on your board, because most schools dont even want to know that you have a LTC unless it is required for the position.

Good Luck

Also, unless your already on the job "police work" is not taught in a college class.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have had alot of military training with weapons, a qualified with expert in everything. As for the general police work, I worked closely with the military police for over a year now. I worked at a police station before when i was in college for criminal justice for 3 years.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.