Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FITCHBURG -- The Fitchburg Police Department has launched a new initiative to collect unused firearms in the city to ensure they don't get into the wrong hands.
With the help of the department's armorer Ronald L'Ecuyer and Capt. Mark Louney, residents will be able to make an appointment for a Fitchburg police officer to securely pick up an infrequently used weapon in a home with no questions asked.
"Since I've been here we've seen a number of cases where homes are broken into and legal firearms are stolen," Police Chief Robert DeMoura said. "This will make a safer community."
DeMoura said some people may have forgotten they have a gun in their home or have a gun in their home and don't know what to do with it.
DeMoura stressed that residents should not touch or handle any weapon.
Instead, residents should call the Fitchburg Police Department at (978) 343-3230 to schedule an appointment for a uniformed police officer to safely retrieve and dispose of the firearm.
DeMoura said the program is an effort to ensure guns don't end up on the city streets.
"I think it's a worthy program," DeMoura said.
DeMoura said residents can have legal gun permits for hunting or target practice, but sometimes they are not used for a long time or the person who use to use the gun has since died.
"This is for anyone who has any questions about their guns, this is a time to call," DeMoura said. To kick off the program, police will be on duty ready to collect guns from houses 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 4.
By calling the department, an officer will set up a mutually convenient time for the gun to be retrieved.

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/local/ci_10496854

·
Registered
318 Posts
Why wouldnt they be able to sell them to individuals with a vlid LTC, make a little money instead of just crushing them...
Selling guns? That wouldn't be very PC.

Time for more Lugers and irreplaceable vintage arms to go to the crusher...
I once saw a pristine 1928 Thompson submachine gun seized. When they told me what was going to happen to it I almost cried.

·
Registered
71 Posts
"DeMoura said some people may have forgotten they have a gun in their home"

If they've forgotten about it, how are they going to call Fitchburg PD to come pick it up? Personally I think these programs are a joke. It's been proven that gun buy-backs don't work...why would anyone think a gun give-back would have any better luck?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts