Fitch. State Univ. Mptc certificate | MassCops

Fitch. State Univ. Mptc certificate

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by samadam78, Apr 9, 2015.

1. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

Students with an interest in careers in public safety will be able to earn their bachelor’s and master’s degrees, as well as complete police academy training, within five years as part of a new concentration launching in fall 2015 at Fitchburg State University.

The concentration is designed to serve students who enter the university with a clear goal of certification as police officers. Full-time students who follow the scheduled coursework will complete their bachelor’s degrees within four years, followed by a one-year master’s program that will also include a full-time academy certification from the Municipal Police Training Committee.

“Graduates of this program will emerge with the skills and credentials for a career in law enforcement,” Fitchburg State President Robert V. Antonucci said. “They will be attractive candidates for the workforce, ready to be hired by police departments who will not have to pay for the time it takes to complete academy training.”

Students who complete the concentration at the baccalaureate level will be offered admission to the master’s program, where upon completion they will be certified by the Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC) as a full-time police officer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

http://www.fitchburgstate.edu/news/new-criminal-justice-concentration-to-launch/

2. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Sounds like Florida. How about something closer to Boston ?

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

What about the PT component? Or is that not required?

LawMan3 and samadam78 like this.
  5. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

holy shit, thats something else

6. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

I wonder if you have to do the 4+1 or if you can apply directly to the Masters Program and get the MPTC training

Pvt. Cowboy likes this.
  7. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

This. Would be interesting for those that already have their bachelors in CJ.

Ghost12345 and pahapoika like this.
  8. Pvt. Cowboy

Just another way to saturate Mass with more academy trained candidates. I see two things happening:

1. No loyalty to a department that hired them. They have the golden ticket, that they paid for themselves via college. PD didn't expose themselves to any financial risk, all they need to do is complete the hiring process. Not like they were the ones who took a gamble on the prospective hire...

2. Along the lines of above, lots of movement from PD to PD to better their situation once experience is gained. Since CS loses towns every year, there'll be more available towns to apply to. Watch guys go from department to department, in search of greener grass.

Self-sponsoring has created somewhat of a monster.

9. felony

felony MassCops Member

Interesting idea, I wonder who came up with it. However, I could only imagine the amount of student loan debt associated with this type of course. Are students sponsored to the MPTC academy via Fitchburg State Univ PD? I thought you had to be sponsored by a department in order to attend an academy. So now Joe blow drug dealer can enroll in this course and learn academy and officer safety secrets? College students do not earn the right to be a cop, just because you earn a degree. Half the kids in my CJ course should have been sectioned! If I am reading that right, you complete the masters program and you become certified as a police officer? I hope its reserve certification if anything. Now with the MAANG certified MP's as police officers through MPTC (Worcester PD) there will be even more applicants.

10. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Thank the gods it's MPTC and not SSPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

zm88, FAPD, districtcircus12 and 3 others like this.
  11. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

That would be hilarious.

zm88, FAPD, Kilvinsky and 2 others like this.
  12. pahapoika

Would you still need the sponsorship or is this just a certification ?

This is a big guess, but maybe the collage covers the academy part and the respective agency then preforms the background ?

13. chief801

chief801 Subscribing Member

Backgrounds will be done before they can get certified. Not clear on the logistics of it, but I spoke with the program director. CJ students will be told up front that any transgressions normally chalked up to "college shenanigans" might just disqualify them from the certification portion of the program. In short, they will have to pass some sort of background before being accepted. For what it is worth...guy running the show is a retired cop, not just an academic who doesn't get it.

pahapoika likes this.
  14. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Unless you stick to it. This program is just getting started so, according to what the story said, you've got 5 years. Don't sit on your ass, HUNT for the jobs...

and maybe go back to school.

Ghost12345 likes this.
  15. felony

felony MassCops Member

True, with more and more towns bailing on CS, it will almost be a prerequisite to have the FT academy, in order to find a job with a non CS community. You thought it was tough before with CS with all the vets returning from Afghanistan and Iraq? Wait until programs like these get going and you will never land a job, without a serious hook or FT academy. At least RI has done one thing right, in that you MUST be hired by a department in order to attend RIMPA. I am glad I am already on the job and don't have to deal with this nonsense anymore.

Ghost12345 likes this.
  16. districtcircus12

districtcircus12 MassCops Member

I have a degree and full time academy..can I get my masters just by applying?

Kilvinsky likes this.
  17. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

Not true state schools can send people to mptc academies... Municipal, enviro and umass just get the seats first.....

Which is kind of ironic that the state schools trap their employees using sspo, the mptc shuns them in training but yet the school and mptc are working together AND using the same university officers that they shun in training to do the training of new "recruits" .... as i always say... POST SYSTEM PLEASE!!!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    niteowl1970 and Kilvinsky like this.
  18. Kilvinsky

The FSU Cops are teaching in this program? That's pretty cool. Often times it's "Well, if these guys were REAL cops, maybe they could teach SOMETHING, but let's leave it to the professionals." I'm impressed.

On a side note, not every job ever will or COULD ever take only Academy trained since it's logistically impossible. Eventually these departments will have openings but since everyone is working SOMEWHERE, who are they going to hire. Hire a guy from Job A, Job B now has an opening. Job C loses a person to fill Job B's opening but now C is minus a body. At some point SOMEONE has to put someone new in the system.

samadam78 likes this.
  19. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Kilvinsky!
    Stop making sense. What courses should we teach?!?!? LOL!!

20. pahapoika

We've had a MIT Sgt. teaching use of force and he was really good at it.

Anyone that has to deal with today's college kids has their hands full :cool:

Kilvinsky likes this.
  21. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

the MPTC's goal is to get completely out of the business of providing direct training. Their goal is to become a licensing agency just like OEMS is for EMTs. This is not my opinion, this is a fact. You can read about on the MPTC committee web site. Just look under the committee minutes. The training course described above is just one of several non-MPTC basic recruit programs being set up. This is definitely going to de-professionalize policing in Massachusetts. Once these programs are at full speed, "graduates" of these programs will overwhelm the number of openings for police officers. Pay will plummet, and cops will become disposable to agencies because of the low investment. CS is declining fast. There are about 10 depts. a year getting out. In the next several years, look for the legislature to make reforms to CS hiring.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    FAPD, felony and Pvt. Cowboy like this.
  22. Kilvinsky

*Radio use and how to pick YOUR number out of all the noise, especially when on a 'directed patrol'.
    *How to refuse freebies-and still get them. (I can hear the screams on THAT one.)
    *Burn out, how to cope and NOT become a TOTAL alcoholic.
    *When to charge, when to approach slowly, when to turn and avoid the situation.

See that, this is what 36 years will do to a guy. Phase One: Auxiliary-HAD A BALL! Learned a lot, loved every minute of it. (2 years)
    Phase Two: First full time job (with full academy) Loved it until I got bored (small campus-loved the job and my co-workers but was VERY bored and too young to appreciate it) (4 years)
    Phase Three: Next full time job. Still loved it. More to do, more places to go, people to see, etc. (1st-10th years)
    Phase Four: Done much. Still love my job but dept. admin is wearing me (and everyone else) down. Getting very cranky. (10th-26th year)
    Phase Five: Screw it, screw it all, but it's a damn good paycheck for not killing myself, so, what the hell, and I DO have bills. 26th-28th year)
    Phase Six (IF things at work do NOT change, it's Phase 5.1): Countdown to retirement, but at the early stages and I've got 10 to go, approximately. (Present-appx. 2025)
    Phase Seven: THANK GOD I'M OUT! (anticipated 2 years)
    Phase Eight: Nostalgia, miss the job remember mostly the good times and the folks I worked with, most fondly. (whenever until death or dementia)

Ghost12345 and Goose like this.
  23. Pvt. Cowboy

I like what you said, better than what I said.

But the same is evident, self-sponsoring, or programs like this, have created a monster.

Ghost12345 likes this.
  24. Kilvinsky

That is truly a scary and potential scenario.

Ghost12345 likes this.
  25. pahapoika

Have to say that same thought did go through my mind as well. Worse yet would be gangbangers and other criminals using it to gain information much like they do with the military