Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police Officer

The Fisher College Police Department of Public Safety (FCDPS), provides a safe and secure environment for all students, faculty, staff, visitors, and assets at the College. The Department consists of fifteen Police Officers and approximately ten contract security personnel with a main campus in Boston and site locations in New Bedford, North Attleborough, and Brockton, Massachusetts.

The Fisher College Department of Public Safety is seeking police officers to provide law enforcement, security and related public safety services for the protection of Fisher College, students, staff and visitors.

Description of Duties:
Fisher College Police Officers patrol College buildings and grounds to deter crime, prevent theft, trespass, vandalism, or violations of the General Laws of Massachusetts. You will be expected to investigate and properly document general and emergency calls for service and violations of College regulations, and/or General Laws.

Applicants must have knowledge of and/or ability to learn how to use public safety equipment and systems; high-quality personal communication and customer service skills; working knowledge of applicable procedures/regulations related to campus security; detect and respond appropriately to potential hazards; handle sensitive situations with tact and confidentiality; and ability to use two-way radio communications. Applicant should be able to work flexible and/or additional hours beyond 40 hours per week as required. Applicant should display comfort and expertise working in a highly diverse, multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment.

Position Qualifications:
Associate's degree and candidates holding Special State Police Officer (SSPO) MGL Chapter 22C section 63 certification are preferred. Applicant will be required to attend a Special State Police Officer (SSPO) academy unless they possess a municipal academy training certificate. Current first aid/CPR certification is preferred. Applicant must hold and maintain a valid, unrestricted United States driver's license.

Benefits:
Police Officer position compensation is $35,360 annually. Additional schedule of full benefits provided by Fisher College can be viewed on the human resources benefits page .

Application:
Interested applicants should forward letter of interest, current resume, and three references to Interim Chief of Police Stephen Doherty, Fisher College Department of Public Safety, 118 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02116 or electronically to [email protected] . Position open until filled.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,540 Posts
A larger department than you would expect for a very small campus but it's located in a busy area (back bay) and there's always potential for some excitement. The pay is a little less than it should be, but in time, who knows. This was an up/down department for years, but it's seems to have stabilized and could be a decent place to work. I THOUGHT they were carrying now, but since nothing is said about a LTC, I don't know.

·
18,540 Posts
I did picture it as STARTING pay, geez, I hope that's exactly what it is and not max.

Reactions: HoneyBadger1

·
Registered
226 Posts
The starting pay is on-par with most colleges in state (save for BU, BC, Harvard, etc).
I would hope they are union and have annual raises in the contract with that kind of garbage money.. That starting pay is even low for the state! AfSCME starts at 39 now I believe with the new contract, plus something like another 3K for shift differential.

·
5,985 Posts
I would hope they are union and have annual raises in the contract with that kind of garbage money.. That starting pay is even low for the state! AfSCME starts at 39 now I believe with the new contract, plus something like another 3K for shift differential.
The AFSME shift differential is $ 1.25 per hour.

G

·
36,886 for Grade 16 Step 1.

AFSCME got 3.0% on June 30, 1.5 on July 1, and 1.5 scheduled for every Jan1 and July1 through the end of the contract, which is June 30, 2015. At the end of the contract entry-level grade 16 should be around 38,500 walking in the door, plus shift differential.

G

·
What's wrong with this state. All the bigwigs that don't allow uniformed officers to carry a firearm; to potentially neutralize a threat that very well could be a friend or family member of mine is beyond me. You are already a target while wearing a uniform.

G

·
What's wrong with this state. All the bigwigs that don't allow uniformed officers to carry a firearm; to potentially neutralize a threat that very well could be a friend or family member of mine is beyond me. You are already a target while wearing a uniform.

·
Registered
226 Posts
unfortunately everything in this state is re-active and will probably take something terrible to happen to knock some sense into "some" people.. I like how AFSCME even has it in the contract that officers shall be issued a vest, yet we won't give officers the tools to defend yourself or others against such a threat. If you ask me, that makes schools under AFSCME who wont arm their police more liable when a parent starts snooping around wondering why campus police didnt intervene when there was an active shooter. Since they admit by giving officers vests that the potential threat is there, but wont give police the equipment to save that student.. like they say hope for the best but prepare for the worst.. but thats my rant at least more and more campus police departments are arming their guys including state colleges

·
Registered
226 Posts
but then again...when it comes to the state, think of the logical the way to do things or get things done and expect the exact opposite o_O

·
18,540 Posts
The AFSME shift differential is $ 1.25 per hour.
Exactly what MY night differential is. We're working on that, but it's a knock down drag out fight over the whole contract and this is issue small potatoes at the moment.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
What's the state have to do with Fisher College being unarmed ? They're a private college that used to have an armed PD but for some reason, they decided to take them away. This ones not on the state.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Its an example of the liberal minded, irrational thinking in this state as a whole. Especially when it comes to certained communities like politicians and academeia

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
Its an example of the liberal minded, irrational thinking in this state as a whole. Especially when it comes to certained communities like politicians and academeia
There are plenty of legitimate gripes about this state but I just don't see the connection here. There are a number of liberal schools in this state do have armed PD's. It's Fisher's decision.

·
Registered
718 Posts
There are plenty of legitimate gripes about this state but I just don't see the connection here. There are a number of liberal schools in this state do have armed PD's. It's Fisher's decision.
As stated above..its the overall liberal mindset of this state. Even the colleges that are armed had to fight tooth and nail, for years, to finally get guns.

G

·
As stated above..its the overall liberal mindset of this state. Even the colleges that are armed had to fight tooth and nail, for years, to finally get guns.
So those colleges fought tooth and nail with themselves for years? :rolleyes:

As mentioned, private colleges make their own decisions, it has nothing to do with the state. If a private college wants to arm its police department, that's completely their own decision. As long as the police officers have valid LTC's and satisfy the provisions of the SSPO statutes, that's where state involvement ends.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
First off, I want to be clear on my position that ALL PD's should be armed. Now with that said, I'D be willing to bet that if you were to do a nationwide poll of colleges that are similar in size to Fisher, the majority of them would be unarmed. The liberal mindset in academia is present throughout the country. There's also the financial / risk acceptance factor that goes into some of these decisions, particularly with the smaller schools. Sorry, I just disagree that the overall mindset of the entire state is the real culprit here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts