First Women Fail Marine Infantry Officer Course | MassCops

First Women Fail Marine Infantry Officer Course

Discussion in 'Military News' started by MaDuce, Nov 2, 2012.

1. MaDuce

MaDuce MassCops Member

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/10/17/first-women-fail-marine-infantry-officer-course.html

WASHINGTON -- The first two female lieutenants to volunteer for the Marine Corps’ Infantry Officer Course failed to complete the program, the Marine Corps said Tuesday.
    The first woman did not finish the combat endurance test at the beginning for the course in late September. Twenty-six of the 107 male Marines also did not finish the endurance test.
    The second woman could not complete two required training events “due to medical reasons,” said Capt. Eric Flanagan, a Marine spokesman.
    She is receiving treatment and is in “good condition,” Flanagan said, though the Marine Corps is not releasing specifics about her medical condition or any identifying information about either of the women

I wonder if the liberal overlords lower the standards to get them in? Don't get me rong there are some females that could pass legit but generally speaking females just aren't built to carry 100+lbs of kit long distances over rough terrrain.

2. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

The standards must be too high! Lets go ahead and lower the bar, for fairness.

Joel98, lofu and Q5-TPR like this.
  3. bok

bok MassCops Member

Forgot about lowering the BAR; let's just lower the WALL, as in the P.A.T. Wall Climb....
    ...Nothing to see here people, move along -

4. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I wouldnt have passed it either, the world needs ditch diggers also.

mtc likes this.
  5. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

My heart goes out to the 26 men and the 2 women who made it into the course but couldn't seal the deal.
    No one likes to fail, especially Marines.

Joel98, dano448, 7costanza and 2 others like this.
  6. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

The Infantry, nor the male gender, holds a monopoly on Honor or Sacrifice:

lofu, mtc, 7costanza and 4 others like this.
  7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

You're kidding, right?

I never saw the big deal about the wall, but then again, I can practically step over it.

7costanza and LGriffin like this.
  8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

No idea...."The Wall" wasn't part of my academy pre-screening requirements.

Mine were bench-press 99% of your body weight, 2 mile run, sit-ups, flexibility test, and a shuttle run between cones. I remember my best friend's father owned a funeral home, and I would set-up traffic cones in the parking lot when they were closed to practice the shuttle run.

mtc likes this.
  9. GMass

GMass Guest

There are small, horizontal lips 1/3 and 2/3 of the way up the 5' wall at the PAT as a result of lawsuit(s) from female(s) who claimed the test was discriminatory against them due to women traditionally having less upper-body strength.

The lips are not in this video.

mtc likes this.
  10. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

I've heard the same but "in my day" it wasn't just the women who were suddenly faced with the idea that the job is physical. There were many Private Pyle's who showed up and couldn't get their fat asses over that hump and we weren't even wearing weighted gear during this PT exam.

In my humble opinion, they've made a mountain out of a molehill. I'm slightly taller than the Travelocity gnome and the wall was all I heard about before I got there. I was advised of my admission to the FT academy after some practice PT was completed so I got to play with this chupacabra the day before the PT. I jumped over it three times before running some of the course with a buddy on my back. If you've prepared for the job as you should have, it should be a non-issue.

With Quinn Bill gone, they may as well put an escalator in front of the friggin' thing.

mtc, GARDA and USAF286 like this.
  11. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

I could only get through the first video before I lost my mind for the morning. RIP

justanotherparatrooper and GARDA like this.
  12. bok

bok MassCops Member

- My first hand experience was during one of my P.A.T.'s when 2 out of the 3 female candidates could not climb over the five foot wall and the proctors / instructors cleared the entire gymnasium so these 2 individuals "Could better concentrate on the task" (paraphrasing; as it was a long time ago).
    - Well, when we were asked back in the gym they had, shockingly, all passed. 1 of the 20 males could not get over the wall and he was not offered this "Concentration" opportunity...I knew these 2 and the sponsoring department strongly encouraged the hiring of these females for their "diversity" ratios. No excuse as to why they could not have passed if they had put prior training to effect.-

13. GMass

GMass Guest

Like when you see someone walked out of the PAT by the administrators after MISERABLLY failing the PAT, then see him next to you at Day 1 of the academy? Yea.

There's chatter in the MPTC meeting minutes about changing the PAT to better reflect the minimum PT standards while in the academy.

Posted while GL 90 § 13B

14. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

I hate to fuel a bitch hunt but It took one of the females in my class a couple years to get over the wall...she graduated w/ about 2 1/2 years seniority.

To hear that they could possibly lower standards is disgusting and moreover, it's dangerous.

BTW, to clarify, i'm not bragging in my previous post about my experience. I'm simply stating a fact when I say the PAT is a joke. I'm a tiny little thing but muscle mass is a requirement to staying alive out there, so if you don't have it, don't take up someone's spot who has it but scored a point or two less on the written exam.

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

What's the point of having standards if you're not going to abide by them?

LGriffin and mtc like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

IIRC, the issue of the wall came about when my chief made "adjustments" for the females to get over the wall. Or he did away with it all together.. Whatever. According to my chief police officers don't climb fences or go through windows. Yah.. Then again he has like 2 days on the road....

Standards? Too funny man. Actually, it's not funny. It's a fucking joke what's going on. We have a class of 45 in week 3 now. 20 of them are ours, the rest are from other towns or self sponsored. They JUST did their Coopers test. That's right, JUST did it. No, they did NOT do it to get in. 39 of those fat fucks FAILED... THIRTYFUCKINGNINE... Six fell out of their last class run.. Training cadre is just as disgusted but said, all they have to do is make 70% of the PT and they're gtg.. I watch those sad sacks "march" by and am horrified at what is coming out on the road.

There are no standards to abide by....

Dan Stark likes this.
  17. GMass

GMass Guest

Not sure why that's a surprise to you. Did YOU have to do cooper standards to get the job? I didn't, and no one in my class did.

I'm sure there's a few more out there, but the only job I know of that has a cooper type physical battery during the hiring process is UMass Boston.

18. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Yes, I did... As a matter of fact, my BI told me "to have my PT squared away BEFORE the academy cuz you won't have time IN the academy".. Safe to assume YOU didn't?

19. GMass

GMass Guest

I didn't what, have a cooper test? No. No one in my class had cooper standard physical assessment battery as part of the hiring process.

lofu likes this.
  20. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

Sterling PD ran a Cooper battery just to get an interview back when they were hiring. Nice way to weed out the fatties.

21. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

And people wonder why I pick things up and put them down...

Seemed like it was more of a common thing back In the day. My old man was built similar to me, and other guys he worked with always lifted as well.

That being said, I'm AMAZED that there are 39 people in the Worcester Academy that couldn't pass the cooper standards. Baffling...