First Car/Truck | MassCops

First Car/Truck

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Fisherman94, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Fisherman94

Fisherman94 MassCops Member

I'm 16 and looking to get my first car soon. I got a budget of about $5000. I want to get a truck. Any suggestion?

Car suggestion are okay too but I'm really leaning towards a truck.

Also if you have any experience with a Ford F-150 lemme know what ya think about them.

2. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

I've had a 1986 Ford F150 Lariat (velor seats of course) for 14 years and love it. I can't kill the beast.

3. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Dodge worked for me and theyre tough as hell.

4. jedediah1

jedediah1 MassCops Member

ford ranger, 4 cyl

when you turn 25 and the insurance rate drops, then you are allowed a bigger truck, ford still of course

5. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I had a sick Le BAron I got from Jon Voight, the actor NO the dentist..

6. lpwpd722

lpwpd722 Maddy B's grammy

Whatever you get, make sure it's pratical and fits your needs. You say your fifteen, not sure if you are planning on paying your own insurance but I would keep some money aside just for that. A truck will also go through alot more gas than a car. My main words of advise...Don't bling it out. Put tires that are meant for it, don't amp it up with a expensive stereo system, in other words, don't draw attention to yourself. Don't drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, don't talk or text while driving. Keep in mind driving is a privilege and not a right. Sorry for the rant. I have just seen too many fatalities involving kids your age and slightly older and i'm a mother of three boys age 22, 21, and 19 so i'm allowed to give advise.

7. TPD Lt.

TPD Lt. MassCops Member

For $5,000 you can get a "mint" Crown Vic all blacked out, probably get the spotlight to. :smug:

8. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

I had a Dodge Dakota which was a nice reliable pickup truck. They are bigger than a compact truck but smaller than a full size. You should be able to pick up a early 2000s 4X4 Extra cab for about $5000.

9. Fisherman94

Thanks for the advice guys. I am very aware to buckle up and drive safely but thanks for the reminder. I don't plan to spend all 5k on the truck I plan to save some for insurance and get a job to help pay for the insurance.

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

I was looking at the ranger but I had a few older friends say that the trucks suck and my uncle advised me to stay away from them.

10. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

ONe little word of advice on 4x4's...they ARE NOT tanks and they dont float. 4wd gets you stuck 50 ft further then 2wd if you dont know how to offroad :)

if you go offroad carry chains, a blanket ,come-a-long and a hilift jack and a SPARE TIRE

11. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

I had a 92 Buick Regal Custom. The thing was loaded with options.

My advice to you kid is get something pratical and cheap with under 100,000 miles on it and no older than a 1998. You do not need anything fancy as if you park it in you School parking lot it will just end up with door dings and scratches anyway. Also if you get anything too new and fancy you will get raped on Insurance costs.

12. justanotherparatrooper

NO

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

Why I carry a blanket Ken...you put it over the wire in case it breaks :)
    .....besides sometimes you NEED a blanket in the woods :)

13. Rock

Rock Undefined

Hey cc, just for some perspective. This kid is 8 years younger than your truck.

I have underware older than him!!!

14. cc3915

Way too much info there. :teeth_smile:

15. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

+1, We dont want to hear about your Aquaman funderoos Rock.

16. Fisherman94

Yea im kinda looking for a truck in the up 90s or beginning of the 2000s

17. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

Theres some good advice on here for you Fisherman. I wanted to get a truck for my first ride at 17. But because of safety reasons my dad said not yet, just buy a car. Your first car should be just that...a car. Like Mtc and others said, learn the ropes of driving a car around first, then later on you can get a good truck for yourself. Im sure others agree on here too a car is better protection for a beginner. I sound like my dad now, but I know what he means :shades_smile:

18. Fisherman94

how is a car better protection than a truck? I would consider a truck more safe

19. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

Your best bet would be to buy something like a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus type vehicle for your first. They are safe reliable and there are so many out there that you should be able to find a good one for a decent price.

20. cc3915

I agree with the above. A good safe sedan is far better to get the feel of the road with than a truck.

21. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

I wont make a decision for you on what you should or shouldnt buy. I will however tell you to have a mechanic that you trust check out the vehicle that you do choose. Believe it or not there are people out there that will just want to take your money and give you a piece of junk. You could end up dumping way more money into something that you have. Dont let emotion rule your choice. Check several vehicles and dont be too quick to buy the first one you like.