Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been assigned the task of researching various ways to reduce the noise level of our current outdoor range (Barnstable).

Our town utilizes a 25 yard pistol range, a 50 yard shotgun range and a 100 yard rifle range. There is currently a 10 foot high dirt mound back drop for the pistol and shotgun range and a 20 foot high dirt mound back drop for the rifle range. There is also a 30 foot high dirt mound to the rear of the ranges. The remainder of the noise abatement is from the natural forest (moderately thick) surrounding the range.

Does anyone have any suggestions to reduce the noise level of our range further?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
456 Posts
THe NRA has tons of info on this topic. Start here:
http://www.nra.org/

I think that others have told me that said info is somewhere on their website, but I've never looked for it myself. Worst case there should be phone contact info there to someone that can help out.

Also the US Army has studied it extensively and likewise has a lot of valuable info on the topic. Don't know how you begin to look for it unless your PD has someone in the military that might be able to ask around. Many years ago a gun club I was a member of got some of this info, but the club source was a retired US Army LTC (and former club president).

GOAL at www.goal.org may have some info (or pointers to the NRA info).

Be aware that there is a useless law that protects gun ranges from noise complaints. Reason I say that it is useless is that the residents who raise a stink with the selectmen or town meeting have enough clout to close ranges or make it damn unpleasant, regardless of the laws.

Our PD stopped the night shooting more than 20 years ago after numerous complaints of noise. Even though our dispatchers told the complainants that it was the PD qualifying, they didn't want to hear it! Bottom line was that the selectmen ordered the chief to stop the night shooting . . . and two chiefs later (+20 years) that still appears to be the status.

Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The NRA has an entire manual for building ranges. The info comes in a binder and the cost is about $50.00. The book should have a lot of info on noise abatement issues as it is a hot topic.

Heres the link. You do not have to be a NRA member to get this information.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

:crazy: Capt. R.D. Scalzo - Retired
Secaucus PD
Secaucus, NJ

·
Registered
121 Posts
The problem at Barnstable range is not noise, it is the whining abutters who think their rights trump the thousand other users of the range, 100% of the time. The MGL has already addressed this issue clearly and not in the whiners favor. There is obvious political pandering going on in Barnstable, and that is what needs investigating, not noise from a gun range that has been there for decades.

Who in the town was behind the range rule change to prohibit the use of lawful machineguns at the range? Was it the PD, the DNR? the Conservation Commission?

I can tell you that other than the few police departments that shoot machineguns there, I was probably one of three or four people at the most who ever brought and fired machineguns there and my use of the range was sparse at best.

Unless and until the town simply tells the people (the very few people) who are complaining about noise to just STFU, there will be no end to this situation until the range is closed.....which by the way is exactly what they want.....the sooner the better for them.

Any money thrown at quieting that range without first legally silencing the whining abutters is going to be money ill spent and wasted. They will not stop in their ultimate pursuit to close that range by whatever means.

Tell the town officials to grow a pair and tell the whiners NO.....its that simple.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
You are always welcome at our range...granted it is very far from you.
Alos note this would be the perfect excuse to change the laws with regards to silencer ownership in MA.

·
Registered
121 Posts
SOT_II said:
You are always welcome at our range...granted it is very far from you.
Alos note this would be the perfect excuse to change the laws with regards to silencer ownership in MA.
Thanks for the invitation SOT_II. I may someday take you up on it. I attended the Westfield shoot before and that range was impressive.

As far as silencers go, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I'm leaving this state permanently in less than two years, hopefully never to return. I've watched a forty year steady stream of continuously prohibitive useless gun laws passed in this state, along with a steady rise in crime and I've had my fill of it.
I won't spend an extra minute here once my retirement papers go in in 2008. It irks me to think that I have to shell out $300 to this state to renew my and my wife's licenses in 07 just to keep my machineguns here for one more year. No license needed where I'm going.

·
Registered
689 Posts
We're having the same problem in Leyden. Wackenhut uses the Leyden range and we're getting alot of complaints. To the point where we might be thrown off of the range that VY(Vermont Yankee) built. Tis includes the road going in there. I'll pass that link from the NRA along to the training depat. Thanks rscalzo. =D>

·
Registered
63 Posts
we lost our range because of a similiar issue. In the begiing it was just the Swat team, my dept and the Postal Police on our range. The cheif at the time decided to let oher agencies use the range also. Before we new it our range was in use a solid 6months a year. People complained and cited environmnetal concerns, the even got the EPA involved. End result-our range was shut dowm and the town had to eat the bill for all the clean up etc. WE know have to travel 40 miles one way to use a range. overtime cost's have sky rocketed since our range closed.Best thing you could do is Boot the other agencies Had we done that we would still have a range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts