Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My school is a liberal arts college (about 1800 students) just down the road from EsxPD319's seminary. We have not carried since the 1980's. Our department is now working on a proposal to change that and we're looking for input. I know many other departments have similar proposals either in the works or already submitted. I'm hoping we can take advantage of this forum to share tactics and information and to eventually arm as many campus departments as possible.

It seems clear that we will not win this battle based on "cops need guns or they're not cops" arguments. Our institutions don't seem nearly as concerned with protecting CPO's as they are with protecting students (or protecting themselves from the liability incurred by threats to students). If we're going to be effective at arming ourselves, we need to talk in this same language.

We're already incorporating civil liability cases like Pine Manor and Simon's Rock into the proposal. Also, we're suggesting very feasable situations on campus where we would be unable to act / protect our students because of lack of the force options necessary. I know Salem State made up a "weapons board" of all the dangerous weaponry they had recently confiscated.

Please reply with any other ideas your departments have had, whether successful or not.

Thanks,

-=Peter.

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Try considering an independent consultant to assess the need of firearms in your department. I hear that has loads of success. Also consider accreditation from the state; it develops core professionalsm. Nothing works better than research! Make alies. Address the faculty, develop realtions, educate the community. Just my :2c:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Check out DR. Thermos on-line Dr. Thermos. He is a security consultant that wrote a long paper on the subject, endorsing college PD carrying firearms.

Have your Chief contact the Chiefs at Plymouth State University, Westfield State, Salem State, Bentley, UMD and any other campus that went armed in the last ten years.

GOod luck, PM me if you need more specific help.

-JP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HOW WE LOST OUR FIREARMS:
(This is a cute story.)

In the 1980's, when the school had armed SECURITY guards, there was an incident involving the improper discharge of a weapon. An "officer" was in a dark wooded area behind one of the buildings when this happened. He then FABRICATED a story about being threatened at knifepoint. He said that his shot missed his assailant, who then went running into the woods. When the municipal PD showed up to "back him up," they COULDN'T FIND THE OFFICER! HE WAS HIDING IN THE WOODS! After they found him (with K9's I think), they caught him in his lie when he was able to offer a far too specific description of his attacker for the dark surroundings. He paid for it, but now so are we. We are now a well-trained department (SSPO New Braintree REQUIRED, regardless of background), and no one is left from the "screwball era." But administrators never forget.

-=peteR

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,799 Posts
Call U/Mass Dartmouth. They got their act together months ago, and they have a consultant (former chief) on board who helped them.
8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
F1int @ 06 Nov 2004 22:55 said:
Anyone know where I can get my hands on the "Bratton Report" used by Brown University?

Call Brown University. Most places will help you out if you just ask.
Just spoke with them. They are "unable to release it because it is an internal university document." I've seen other campuses make references to it in their own proposals. I guess you just need the right connections.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
This is not a Massachusetts case but maybe it could help with your firearms proposal.

Ohlone cops consider getting guns
By Barry Shatzman
STAFF WRITER

Monday, November 08, 2004 - FREMONT -- Ohlone College police officers
soon will be carrying guns if college officials approve a request
from the chief of the campus police department.

Saying it is necessary to be prepared at all times, Ohlone Police
Chief Steve Fajardo said that the move to arm Ohlone's officers is
long overdue.

"Part of being a police officer is carrying a weapon," he said.

While crime is almost nonexistent on the Ohlone campus, Fajardo said
the police department needs to be prepared should a violent event
happen. He pointed out that there have been fights and incidents with
rowdy people, including non-students.

A police officer, simply by having or drawing a gun, can stop an act
of violence, or make a felony arrest safer, he said.

Fajardo, who worked as a police officer in the Oakland school
district for 22 years, said he has never fired his gun on the job.

Only Fajardo and the college's other sworn officer, Ben Peralta,
would be armed.

"Ben (Peralta) and I are very well-trained and capable of handling
the job," he said.

Other experts agree that training is the key element.

Fremont Police Chief Craig Steckler said that he spoke to Fajardo and
supports the move -- as long as the officers meet state training
standards.

Rich Cominos, who teaches Administration of Justice at Ohlone and
worked for 25 years as a police officer, said that cops in California
are among the best-trained in the country.

"Other states have modeled California on police training," he said.

Cominos pointed out that training involves learning when to use --
and when not to use -- a weapon. It also includes scenarios and
psychological training. He added that similar training is needed for
any weapon, such as Tasers, batons or pepper spray.

Fajardo said he considered less-lethal options such as Tasers -- and
would like to have them -- but not as a replacement for firearms. He
cited studies showing that Tasers have failed in some cases.

"One is too many when you have a failure," he said.

Students interviewed on the Ohlone campus had mixed feelings about
campus police officers carrying firearms.

Michelle Lyon, studying psychology, said she could see situations
where guns might be needed.

:shock: "I know how people are unpredictable," she said. Her friend, physics major Tuanmu Johnson, said he doesn't think there are any circumstances warranting the move. :shock:

"In a community like Fremont, you don't need all that firepower. (An
officer can) pick up a brick and throw it at them," Johnson said.
College officials said they are aware the issue is a sensitive one, and are planning to hold a forum for students to voice their opinions before a final decision is made. No date for the forum has been set. :shock:

Ohlone is one of the only Bay Area colleges not to have armed police
officers, according to Fajardo. He said he understands both sides,
and isn't taking the issue lightly.

"It's serious that we (officers) have a weapon on campus. But it's
also serious that we have to protect ourselves," he said.

Barry Shatzman covers Ohlone College for The Argus. He can be reached
at (510) 353-7003, or [email protected] .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.