Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested in hearing from anyone with information regarding a firearms instructors course sometime during the course of this year, 2004. I am being advised that due to a lack of $$$ no instructor's course is on the radar.

·
MassCops Member
132 Posts
Firearms Instructor
Instructor certification is our most important responsibility as law enforcement trainers. Teaching officers to instruct others in the fundamentals of firearm utilization and survival requires preparation. Students seeking admission into this program must submit documentation of prior firearms training, signed or otherwise verified by a superior officer. These criteria are indispensable to successful completion of the program.

Course content includes:
Basic instructional skill development with revolver, pistol and shotgun
Classroom presentations
Program for training new shooters
Correcting shooting problems
Methods of instruction
Range operation
Field maintenance
Duties and responsibilities of instructors
Range exercises
Course of fire design by incident analysis
Lesson plan development
Liability and case law for Firearms Instructors
Handgun flashlight techniques
Certification requirements include:
Marksmanship ability
Instructional techniques
High level of technical skills
Written Examinations
Length: 10 days / 80 hours

Tuition: $1500

Dates:
Nov. 3-14, 2003
Feb. 2-13, 2004
June 14-25, 2004
Nov. 8-19, 2004

Smith & Wesson Academy
299 Page Boulevard
Springfield, MA 01104

Telephone:
(413) 846-6461
Fax: (413) 736-0776

E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
145 Posts
MIT, I was at the Plymouth Academy last week and poped in at the Staff office asking the same Q. They told me NO $$$$$, No class. They advised if they can get the money together, they will post it on the web site.

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok all thanks for the input. I reviewed the S&W course before, but $1500 is way too much scratch for our PD. Hopefully this darn economy will turn around and things will get moving again.

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
The S&W course is outstanding however, you still need to take the Council FA Instructors course for the training you then perform for your department to be recognized by the state.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts