Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to purchase a firearm on my own where I am a self sponsor........The department uses .45 cal. What is the best or should I ask most popular .45 among police in MA.? Also any opinions on SIG P220?

Thank you :-k

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I carry the Sig P229 both as my duty and my personal weapon. Basically the 40 Cal model of the P220. I love the thing. It's very ergonomic and a very smooth shot. A big change from the S & W 5943. What a piece of garbage.

·
MassCops Founder
6,403 Posts
What other dept's are using 45's?

On the same line, what other dept's are using 45's? :asl:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, go with the SigP220 and throw a set of night sights on it...you can't go wrong with that setup. I shoot very tight groups with that at 25yards. The only other .45 accurate out of the box would be a kimber 1911, but good luck finding one of those in this state.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I currently carry a 14 year old sig 220 with nught sights. The only complaint I have is that there are only two factory magazines made for it (7 round or 8 round). My dept. just got Glock 22c (compensated .40 cal). We dropped in caliber, but increased overall rounds carried. Also, the weight and size are slightl decreased even though the rounds are nearly doubled.

·
Registered
140 Posts
compensated? i thought compensated pistols were shunned by PD's due to the fear of flash during low-light engagements...

along Gil's question, i'd love to see a list showing what dept's across the state carry, make, caliber, etc... much like the non-civil service list.

G

·
I agree with what has been said about the Sig, I have owned and carried a Sig 226 off duty for five years now and have no problems, and also carry the Sig 229 while on duty. They are very reliable.

·
Registered
552 Posts
here's a few I can think of:

Southborough- Glock 23
Framingham- Sig 226
Natick- S&W .40 (4016 or something)
Holliston- Glock 21
Dover- Berretta 96
Westborough- Glock 22
Newton- S&W 5906
Hopkinton- S&W Sigma .40
MSP- Sig 226
Westford- S&W .45
Douglas- Sig 220
Hubbardston- sig 220
Boston- Glock 23
NEU- glock 23
UMASS- S&W 5906

thats all I can think of

·
MassCops Member
132 Posts
Hogue also makes a great REPLACEMENT grip for $21. I didnt like the toy feeling of the factory grips so I swapped the Hogue grip in. I loved it, and the dept firearms instructor liked it so much he's looking into retro-whatevering the rest of the armory.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The only problem with the .45's and the academy, is the limited magazine capacity. Two of the guys I went with had dept. issue .45's and they only held 7 rounds. Most of the shooting involves shooting groups of ten. This just means you have to keep reloading. You can do it, but it seems like a big pain in the @ss.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
The Sig 220 is an outstanding gun, can't go wrong with it. I'm MSP and would trade in my Sig 226 in 40 caliber for a Sig 220 in .45 in a second. Then again I'm a huge fan of the .45 (especiall 1911-style) and own three I carry off duty (a Springfield Armory, a Colt Officer's Model, and a Kimber Compact). You should probably test fire it before you buy. :)

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
ecpd402 said:
I like the Beretta 9m
That's cool however.........................he's asking about
.45 ACP

So to get back to focus, I 'd have to say Sig 220 or maybe the Glock 21 (big though)
:punk:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I currently own a Glock 21, I used to own a 220. I believe the G21 to be a far superior weapon. The 220 was okay, but the trigger pull sucked. The Glock 21 also holds 13 rounds in the mag. The only draw back to the G21 is as MPD61 said, it is a large handgun, so if you've got small hands you're sh!t out of luck.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
"SIG DAY" AT FOUR SEASONS AND MASS. RIFLE ASSOCIATION ON SATURDAY MARCH 27th
Meet the SIGARMS rep at Mass. Rifle Association and "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY".
check out this-see if you like the sig.

SIG handguns, including the new GSR .45 (which will not be MA compliant until the 2nd half of 2004) will be available for testing from 9am - 1pm.

After you try out the various models you can buy them at Four Seasons.

In addition to our low prices, you will receive a FREE extra 3rd magazine when you buy or order your Mass. compliant SIG pistol on this day.

For details please go to our NEWS & EVENTS page to read the Mass. Rifle flyer.

We look forward to seeing you!

http://www.fsguns.com/fsg_new_hg.htm

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a Glock and a Smith 45 I like the Glock better than the Smith.I seem to shoot better with the Glock. I've never shot a Sig 45 but my friend has one and he loves it. It I had to choose one...I go with Glock all the way.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts