Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

South Burlington, Vermont

A planned explosion at a South Burlington rock quarry went wrong Wednesday morning and debris from the blast damaged cars and planes at the Burlington International Airport.
The blast happened around 11 a.m. at the S.D. Ireland rock quarry. Boulders as large as 2-feet across landed on employee cars parked at the airport. Some of the rocks also tore through hangar walls and damaged privately-owned small planes inside.
"Just felt a rumble, but we heard a second explosion and we started to hear the ping and pop and the impacts of all those rocks coming down and we just ran inside, my partner and I, we ducked inside quite fast and sure enough right where we were standing a rock came down and made a good dent in the pavement," said Jacob Kilpeck, whose car was damaged.
"We were very fortunate that none of the people that work down here on a daily basis were injured, very fortunate indeed," said Rick Varney, of the Burlington International Airport.
A subcontractor-- Maine Drilling and Blasting-- was in charge of the explosion. The company president says it is investigating the cause but as of now does not know went wrong.
WCAX News

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
What went wrong??? I'll tell ya what went wrong. You overloaded the holes, and/or timed the blast wrong. Rock at that quarry usually breaks like glass. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Reminds me of the morons that blew up that whale..except used way to much tnt...anyone remember where that was...I think they had 25lb chunks of whalemeat land up to a mile away...

·
Filling Female Quota
1,351 Posts
Reminds me of the morons that blew up that whale..except used way to much tnt...anyone remember where that was...I think they had 25lb chunks of whalemeat land up to a mile away...

hahahahaha!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Sounds like someone's explosives license is about to be revoked. Lucky no one caught a rock in the squash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts