Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fire broke out at the Macedonia Church of God in Christ on Tinkham Road shortly after 3 a.m.

SPRINGFIELD (WBZ) ― A suspicious fire at a church in Springfield my have been a deliberate act or a hate crime, a bishop tells a local newspaper.

The fire broke out at the Macedonia Church of God in Christ on Tinkham Road shortly after 3 a.m.

According to the Springfield Republican, the church is a predominantly black church.

The building was still under construction, but fire officials say damage done to the church is estimated to be about $2 million.

According to the paper, the fire was started hours after it was learned that Barack Obama was to become the nation's first African American president.

Springfield Fire Department spokesman Dennis Leger would only tell the Republican the fact that the building was vacant is cause for suspicion.

The fire department would not say if the fire was in fact a hate crime. "Any vacant building is suspicious until proven otherwise," he told the paper.

The current location of the Macedonia Church of God in Christ is on King Street.

http://wbztv.com/local/springfield.hate.crime.2.857114.html

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The cause of the fire remains unknown, yet it's a possible HATE CRIME. But what do I know? That guy's a Bishop and I'm only a Rook.:baby21:

G

·
The cause of the fire remains unknown, yet it's a possible HATE CRIME. But what do I know? That guy's a Bishop and I'm only a Rook.:baby21:
Building was under construction... Times are tough... Credit Tight....

It could be a hate crime though, they could just hate buildings.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,800 Posts
SPRINGFIELD (WBZ) ― A suspicious fire at a church in Springfield my have been a deliberate act or a hate crime, a bishop tells a local newspaper.

The fire department would not say if the fire was in fact a hate crime. http://wbztv.com/local/springfield.hate.crime.2.857114.html
What's the difference between a hate crime and any other deliberate act?
:rolleyes:
I'm Glad the Springfield FD is leaving the "hate crime" question up to the Fire Marshals or P.D.
:D

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Springfield Church Fire Ruled Arson

WBZ

SPRINGFIELD (WBZ) ― Fire investigators say a massive fire that engulfed a Springfield church early Wednesday was intentionally set.

The fire was set just hours after Barack Obama was elected the first African-American president, which some have speculated is not a coincidence.

Leaders of the predominately black church have suggested the fire may have been part of a hate crime.

However, investigators said Saturday that there is no evidence of a hate crime other than the timing of the fire.

Officials said the case will now move into the criminal investigation phase.

Because of the large size of the nearly-built church, the FBI was brought in to investigate.

Fire investigators are asking for the public's help in finding out who is responsible. Anyone who was in the area of the Macedonia Church of God in Christ on Tinkham Road in the early-morning hours of Nov. 5 is asked to contact the Confidential Statewide Arson hotline at 1-800-682-9229.

http://wbztv.com/local/springfield.hate.crime.2.859632.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts