Finally, some real definition of MGL Ch. 22c, s. 63 powers | Page 2 | MassCops

Finally, some real definition of MGL Ch. 22c, s. 63 powers

Discussion in 'Law Review' started by NEPS, Jul 15, 2013.

1. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

By any felony does that mean campus SSPO's may investigate homicides? I thought that homicide investigations in MA were under the purview of the State Police except in certain munincipalities as decided by the DA.

2. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Quite honestly?...... NOTHING in there to get upset about.
    Again, just keep it simple. Do you see now how they refer to SSPO's at State and Community Colleges vs. Private SSPO's, and how the private folks lack something the State folks don't?
    They made my point for me 100% and eight years later. State and Community College PD's don't need SSPO Powers..........Just let them go....................

BTW: "Low Priority Offenses" "should Not"????? Wait till some defense attorneys get ahold of this document AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...........

FAPD and Dan Stark like this.
  3. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

How the hell can the State campus police have citations issued to them and statutory powers

For SSPOs from state colleges and universities. They may issue the appropriate citation at the time and place of the violation. Citation books may be provided to them by their chief.7

Then they Don't or can't use them cuz a appellate courts hasn't decided the issue yet? MACLEA are a bunch of shitheads!

Note: The authority to patrol public ways and engage in enforcement stems from an SSPO’s appointment under G.L. c. 22C, § 63. No Massachusetts appellate court has authorized criminal or civil motor vehicle enforcement on public ways pursuant to other appointment statutes for campus officers – such as G.L. c. 75, § 32A (University of Massachusetts) or G.L. c. 15A, § 22 and G.L. c. 73, § 18 (state universities and community colleges).

mpd61 likes this.
  4. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

So much simpler. We want citation books, we order them from the freakin' PRINTER. They ship us a big box full of them. Problem solved.

5. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

I think what he's saying that as an SSPO, a state officer under 22c can cite for a criminal MV violation on an off campus public way that is used by the college. After all, they are in lawful possession of a cite book. Up until now, I've been in full agreement that campus officers from state institutes have no reason to be SSPO's but since this court decision maybe it's not a completely terrible idea absent any decisons or changes to the wording of Chapters 75 and 73. I'm sure some will disagree.

FAPD likes this.
  6. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

That's the problem for sure! Every case law involving SSPO becomes a mess, and then the MACLEA people issue their bible, which is really what they think. Not what the intent of the statute or case law decision is.
    I mean come on, if the Cop has a citation book under 75, 73, or 15A then what the hell do we even need to worry about mixing in "criminal"+"SSPO" just to get to good to go?

7. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Would it be somewhat equivalent of an Amherst cop having full unquestionable jurisdiction in Amherst, now, with additional statutory powers, have full ch. 90 powers in Sunderland? That's Pretty much how it reads. State institutions-NO QUESTION on YOUR property, but iffy OFF your property. With SSPO, no longer a question OFF your property due to the ruling of the SJC. Am I guessing right?

Joel98 likes this.
  8. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

I believe John Scheft put this together, offering his interpretation.

Whether it makes sense or not, there's real no legal basis under Ch 75, 73, and 15A to write a Chapter 90 Citation off the Campus property. That can change with a slight change in the wording. This is just my humble interpretation to everything that I've read.

9. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

This is the impression I got too.

10. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

You guys are all probably right. The Irony is that now after years of "fuck SSPO" at the state schools, this ruling appears to give them (that swear as SSPO's) some added off-property jurisdiction. Now I wonder if some of the administrations will want to drop SSPO because of this?

11. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

Not a state school, but our job brass was surprisingly supportive of this, despite the low priority BS

FAPD and Kilvinsky like this.