FHP pulls over Miami PD cruiser for speeding | Page 4 | MassCops

FHP pulls over Miami PD cruiser for speeding

Discussion in 'Idiot News Articles' started by PBC FL Cop, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Neither college in my city has a PD, never mind cruisers with blue lights, but if I see MSP or Transit cruisers going blue lights and siren through my area, I'll ask dispatch to see if they need assistance, especially given their manpower shortages and sometimes sketchy radio communication. That's solely to make sure they don't need help.....as mentioned, I automatically assume that a non-stolen police cruiser is being driven in a manner appropriate for the circumstances.

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Some of the best police officers I ever worked with never even graduated high school, while I've had some Harvard Ph.D. professors who I wouldn't trust with sharp scissors.

2. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Looking more and more like a personal vendetta
    FHP supervisor told trooper to 'back off' chase of Miami cop - 11/04/2011 | MiamiHerald.com
    [h=2]FHP supervisor told trooper to 'back off' chase of Miami cop[/h]By Diana Moskovitz
    [email protected]
    [​IMG]

A Florida Highway Patrol supervisor can be heard on tape telling dispatchers to have state trooper Donna Watts “back off” as she followed a speeding Miami police officer on Florida’s Turnpike in Hollywood.
    “He’s well over 120 and he’s not stopping for me,’’ Watts is heard saying on a recording released Thursday of communication between FHP and Watts, before she pulled over the officer with her gun drawn. The 11-minute recording was released in response to requests from the media.
    The Oct. 11 traffic stop ended with a ticket for Miami police officer Fausto Lopez, but also appeared to have created a firestorm of controversy between Miami police and the FHP. Miami officers are backing their colleagues and criticizing FHP for treating him as though he was a criminal, while the FHP troopers and the public are criticizing the officer for speeding and not obeying the law.
    The FHP recording is garbled and unclear at times, with different people speaking, often using law enforcement dispatch signals and codes. It begins a few minutes before 6:30 a.m., with Watts saying a car is going more than 120 mph and moving in and out of traffic.
    Lopez was southbound on the turnpike around 6:30 a.m. He later said he was on his way to an off-duty detail at a school.
    Later from Watts: “All I can see is white patrol car, with blue or something like that, lights. It would be a Miami or FDOT, and I’m sure it’s not DOT.’’
    “If it’s a patrol car just have her back off,’’ a voice is heard telling FHP dispatchers. Whether that message was relayed to Watts was unclear.
    Later on, a voice asks on the recording: “what department is it?” Another answers, “We’re trying to ascertain.”
    Watts chimes in: “It is a Miami police.”
    With her sirens wailing in the background, she calls in a tag number. Someone asks on the tape whether she stopped the car.
    Watts: “He slowed to 78, but won’t stop.”
    Watts eventually stopped Lopez near Hollywood Boulevard.
    On the video, a voice says, “Just get the tag and the unit number and I’ll pass it on.” Watts responds, “stand by.”

Read more: FHP supervisor told trooper to 'back off' chase of Miami cop - 11/04/2011 | MiamiHerald.com

3. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

So her excuse for not answering the radio? "oh, I didn't hear anyone calling me." This whole thing is such an embarrassment.

4. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

5. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

6. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

New Traffic Stop Mounts Tension Between FHP & Miami Police

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The rumored rivalry between the City of Miami Police Department and the Florida Highway Patrol may be heating up.
    CBS4 News has learned that Miami Police officer Tom Vokaty has been put on administrative desk duty while his superiors try to piece together exactly what happened and why on the Florida turnpike extension Tuesday night some time before midnight.

According to two high ranking sources within the department, Vokaty who lives in Broward County and was apparently heading home, pulled over a marked Florida Highway Patrol trooper.
    Sources say a conversation ensued and then supervisors were called in.
    No charges were filed and no citations or tickets given.

New Traffic Stop Mounts Tension Between FHP & Miami Police « CBS Miami

7. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Then both sources say as the incident came to a close Vokaty said to the trooper something to the effect of, “how does it feel to be pulled over”?
    That was a direct reference to this incident back on October 11th caught on dashboard video camera when FHP officer Donna Watts pulled a gun on Miami Police officer Fausto Lopez after pulling him over on the turnpike in Broward County charging officer Lopez with reckless driving. She cuffed him and put him in the back of her patrol car until being ordered to release him.

The video went viral and set off a firestorm of controversy.

Miami Police spokesman Delrish Moss confirmed this latest incident.
    “We are conducting an investigation into the circumstances to find out exactly what occurred and why,” said Moss. ”We believe this is an isolated incident and it does not reflect the relationship between the City of Miami’s police department and Florida’s Highway Patrol as a whole.”
    These latest incidents come on the heels of this weekend’s trashing of a Highway Patrol trooper’s car outside his Miami home when someone dumped 5 gallons of human waste on. The investigating into that incident is ongoing.

These types of situations never end pretty...

8. Big.G

Big.G In Tactical Mode....

Think this guy started out on FHP?

9. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

He's probably an FHP Captain...

10. tjdeputy

tjdeputy MassCops Member

it happen to one of our swat officers on rt 3 going to a swat call out he was in an unmarked swat van with blue lights and siren going and a trooper pulled him over he stoped some harsh words where exchanged and the swat officer drove a way and that was the last of it.

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

An unmarked vehicle is a completely different universe than a fully marked cruiser. Some of our K-9 vehicles are unmarked (they do have "Police" plates), and if they're going somewhere out of the city with lights and siren, courtesy calls are made to avoid incidents like that.

12. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

A courtesy call is all it takes. Usually MSP becomes aware of the unmarked/PC MVs from numerous incoming civilian 911 cell phone calls thinking its a whacker or worse.
    I had a work crew open up a detail setup once during lunch because I knew LE vehicles were responding.

"Can't we all get along".

Sent from my ADR6300

13. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

Who cares what it looked like? If it's a legit cop driving it to a call, what's the issue? Because it's a LEC or SWAT team and not STOP, it can't be legit?

14. csauce777

I don't expect a trooper to be psychic, but the poster made reference to harsh words being exchanged. Who knows what was said and by whom, but I'd bet that if it was a trooper in an unmarked speeding through a town enroute to a call and got himself stopped by a local, he'd be bullshit, or he'd simply not stop.

In addition, why is it the troopers responsibility to stop every unmarked car responding somewhere? The van was operating on the highway on route 3 with his emergency equipment activated, not cruising back roads stopping unsuspecting motorists.

15. csauce777

Exactly, and the local guys response should be..."none of your business, call my Chief if you don't like it. Have a nice day."

There are plenty of times when an unmarked cruiser is traveling through towns A, B, and C, just to get to D. It's none of my business who they are or where they are going, no more than it's MSP's business where an on duty local cop is going.

16. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Any vehicle running code gets ignored around here. Too many Feds driving in every vehicle type under sun to waste your time thinking it's anything else.

17. csauce777

I was referring to MSP getting off the highway and cruising through several towns to get to another.

Anyway, we can do this all day. I have no interest in that. My point is, if we haven't learned from this Florida thing, none of us, including MSP should be busting other cops balls when they're on the road. Everyone mind their friggen business unless they truly think there's something crazy going on. That doesn't include being pissed off that a LEC might be conducting their own missions.

Exactly, it's none of anyone's business. Worry about our own shit, and not anybody else's.

18. csauce777

Arrogant? Superiority issues? Im not the least bit arrogant, and I have nothing to do with a LEC either. My point is that it's nobody else's business what they're doing on their job.

19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

We don't belong to a LEC, I've never had to call the Air Wing in 23 years, and in the unlikely event we don't have a dog working, we just call a surrounding city/town.....they usually get there faster, anway.

I'm ambivalent about LEC's in general, since we don't belong to one and don't need to; if we need an entry team/SWAT, we just call Boston, as they're right next door and are always happy to assist. I am somewhat amused, however, by the visceral response by MSP towards LEC's, because it's their very attitude that created them in the first place.

20. Herrdoktor

Are LECs just a bunch of departments pooling resources together? I did a simple google search and found nothing that would make MSP butthurt about their existence.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

What?

21. csauce777

That's exactly what it is. It's a group of departments in a given region that have formed a formal mutual aid compact and have trained and equipped their member officers for special operations such as SWAT, search and rescue, drug operations, dive operations, etc.

22. Herrdoktor

All you need to do is put all the guys under one badge and it sounds like you would have a county police department :tounge_smile:

No wonder MSP gets bitter. They aren't needed.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

To reiterate what others have said: If someone is running code somewhere leave them the fuck alone until you hear otherwise over the radio. (stolen cruiser, fake LEO, etc.)

Nothing good can come from it.

23. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Ruh roh, this is gonna turn to shit... LEC vs MSP is old and boring, I recommend a lock down....

24. Herrdoktor

I had no idea because I don't have a dog in this fight.

It's just funny when any department gets bitter at another for stupid fucking reasons. It happens down here as well.

25. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Not a shot at ya bud. I'm all for ball busting, hell I'm usually first in the pool, but it's gotten nasty in the past. Just one asshole's (me) opinion..