Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so I normally don't post on blog sites, but this one has really struck a nerve... In my 17 years of law enforcement I have never seen this type of overreaction to a speeding violation. I have seen the general attitude on some of the reality shows showcasing FHP Troopers, but to pull the MPD officer out at gunpoint, yell and scream at him, and then detain him????? Who lost control of their emotions? I'll agree that 120 is probably excessive; however, it was not heavily congested and I question the MPD officer's *willful* disregard for public safety. We are all trained in emergency vehicle operations, and we all travel at high speeds on numerous occasions. I have personally had days where it seemed all I stopped were other cops (off duty of course), and I never reacted the way this Trooper did. This isn't confined to FL because the video is all over the news. It really paints LEO's across the country in a bad light. Since when did we start treating other police officers who are in uniform and driving a marked car like any other motorist on the highway? Bad decision by the MPD officer to drive that fast, but an even worse decision by the Trooper who decided to handle it herself. If she really thought that the MPD officer's driving was that egregious, then get the car number, tell your supervisor, and let them handle it with MPD. Or, call MPD communications to contact the patrol car, or use the statewide radio network to do it yourself. I think the MPD officer handled it well, despite the antagonistic behavior of the Trooper. I don't know that it would have went the same way had it been one of my officers, or one of the Troopers we work with/backup on a daily basis. I guess when all you do is work traffic all day long, you tend to lose sight of the seriousness of the violations. I supervised our traffic homicide section for several years, and this trooper obviously did not keep things in perspective. But then again, the in car video says it's 6:30 p.m. - 2nd shift - how long has the Trooper been a cop? Maybe she will settle down with some time and experience. Just my $.02...

·
Supporting Member
3,504 Posts
Ok, so I normally don't post on blog sites, but this one has really struck a nerve... In my 17 years of law enforcement I have never seen this type of overreaction to a speeding violation. I have seen the general attitude on some of the reality shows showcasing FHP Troopers, but to pull the MPD officer out at gunpoint, yell and scream at him, and then detain him????? Who lost control of their emotions? I'll agree that 120 is probably excessive; however, it was not heavily congested and I question the MPD officer's *willful* disregard for public safety. We are all trained in emergency vehicle operations, and we all travel at high speeds on numerous occasions. I have personally had days where it seemed all I stopped were other cops (off duty of course), and I never reacted the way this Trooper did. This isn't confined to FL because the video is all over the news. It really paints LEO's across the country in a bad light. Since when did we start treating other police officers who are in uniform and driving a marked car like any other motorist on the highway? Bad decision by the MPD officer to drive that fast, but an even worse decision by the Trooper who decided to handle it herself. If she really thought that the MPD officer's driving was that egregious, then get the car number, tell your supervisor, and let them handle it with MPD. Or, call MPD communications to contact the patrol car, or use the statewide radio network to do it yourself. I think the MPD officer handled it well, despite the antagonistic behavior of the Trooper. I don't know that it would have went the same way had it been one of my officers, or one of the Troopers we work with/backup on a daily basis. I guess when all you do is work traffic all day long, you tend to lose sight of the seriousness of the violations. I supervised our traffic homicide section for several years, and this trooper obviously did not keep things in perspective. But then again, the in car video says it's 6:30 p.m. - 2nd shift - how long has the Trooper been a cop? Maybe she will settle down with some time and experience. Just my $.02...
Nice first post. Stick around and enjoy..

·
Subscribing Member
3,386 Posts
I had a similar experience with a different Secret Squirrel agency. Guy was driving like a lunatic through red lights, cutting off cars (including me), etc in a shitbox minivan with no lights/siren. I stopped him and got an earful of attitude while he tells me "WTF I have an emergency" somewhere. I don't get it.
I've had a few similar experiences with both local and federal agencies. On each occasion, the occupants were conducting a surveillance, which explained their crazy driving. I did the same when I worked a short surveillance stint back in the mid 90s. It's the only way to keep up with the bad guy without being "made."

As for this incident, I agree with most folks here. The Miami officer was foolish to drive the way he was. We're supposed to set the example, not abuse our authority, which I believe he was doing. If he was on his way to an emergency then fine, but since he wasn't, he was wrong.

On the other hand, the trooper was in over her head. She definitely over reacted. If she thought the patrol car was stolen, then her tactics approaching the car once it stopped were terrible. Like my brethren in the CHP, this type of incident is their version of a "traffic felony," which is why they're called "Highway Patrol" and not "State Police," there is a difference.

If she thought this guy was out of control, then she should have made a call to a Miami PD supervisor and let them know about it. Now it's all over the news nationwide and we all look foolish.

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So, what's the general population opinion?
The general law enforcement perspective is that they are sickened by the troopers actions and I'm she is known for pulling over marked cruisers and citing them for speeding. The FHP people I know are embarrassed and quickly distance themselves from her actions.

The general public feelings are mixed, however they all seem to get excited thinking about a police officer being ticketed for speeding, which is why this type of action is unacceptable...

---------- Post added at 05:28 ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 ----------

I don't know if you want to read the 343 comments on the page.
I stopped reading those comments years ago after reading the ones in reference to a police officer being shot and killed. The comments had me so enraged I couldn't see straight. Haven't read them since. Thanks for the heads up, you probably added a good 10 years to my life :smug:

G

·
The general law enforcement perspective is that they are sickened by the troopers actions and I'm she is known for pulling over marked cruisers and citing them for speeding.
If she is "known for pulling over marked cruisers", I have to assume that at least some of them were on-duty. If I'm on-duty in my jurisdiction and I see blue lights in my rear-view mirror, I'll stop to see if the person from another agency wants/needs anything, but if they think I'm handing over my license and registration for a traffic stop, I want some of what they're smoking. They can explain their interpretation of the law to me and about a dozen of my co-workers.

Go ahead and try to arrest me for 90-25.

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
You would be correct... I could tell you numerous stories about FHP and the stopping of marked and unmarked police vehicles both on and off duty and incidents which have followed. FHP's reputation did not come about accidentally.

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The stop apparently took place in Broward County, which is one county north of Miami-Dade County and about a 1/2hr from the city of Miami.

G

·
You would be correct... I could tell you numerous stories about FHP and the stopping of marked and unmarked police vehicles both on and off duty and incidents which have followed. FHP's reputation did not come about accidentally.
Why are these on-duty officers submitting to a traffic stop?

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

The stop apparently took place in Broward County, which is one county north of Miami-Dade County and about a 1/2hr from the city of Miami.
Doesn't Florida have a statewide peace officer statute?

If nothing else, perhaps this incident might make the FHP pull their heads out of their asses and re-assess their attitudes when dealing with other law enforcement agencies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So it is generally acceptable for an officer to use government property to drive recklessly while off duty? And police wonder why there is distrust from the public?

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Doesn't Florida have a statewide peace officer statute?
As soon as she took the cuffs off him, he shoulda slapped them on her for Assault D/W - gun. Biatch.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So it is generally acceptable for an officer to use government property to drive recklessly while off duty? And police wonder why there is distrust from the public?
How many times have you been arrested? I bet the officers was real mean to you and you "didn't do nothin" either.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Yes.. Jealous bitch?

It's OK to distrust the police because of such heinous abuses. The police distrust all of you civilians because you're all a bunch of lying, mendacious, deceitful, spiteful, dishonorable, unethical, cowardly pukes....

So asshole, it's an egregious offense for a trained emergency vehicle operator, someone intimately familiar with the handling characteristics of the vehicle he drives 8-10 hours a day for 5-6 days a week, but it's completely acceptable for an untrained douchebag civilian to drive his pregnant wife the same way??

Fuck you hypocrite, go back to posting **** comments on your loser douchebag facebook page....

41 - 60 of 135 Posts