Felony Stops | MassCops

Felony Stops

Discussion in 'Patrol' started by kttref, Sep 25, 2009.

1. kttref

kttref New Member

Hey guys -

I was discussing w/ a buddy of mine from a different department felony stops. He was telling me how he was taught to do it - and the spiel he was instructed to say....somehow I was taught something pretty different - even though we went to the same academy.

So I'm wondering - what are you instructed to say on felony stops? What is your monologue (obviously situation dictates and things could EASILY change).

2. Trifecta

Trifecta MassCops Member

"Sir sorry to bother you on this wonderful evening, but could you please produce you license and registration. Thank You. Now unfortunatly I have to place you under arrest so here are my cuffs could you just put them on once you shut off your car and call a friend to pick it up. I will give you my cellphone if needed"

3. jedediah1

jedediah1 MassCops Member

you outda cah!

4. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Ummmm... I learned how to do a felony stop when I was like... 13... by playing "Police Quest."

Yeah that's right... I'm Sonny Bonds bitch... I rough up bikers with my PR-24.

Note: If nobody here has ever played that game or knows of that series... Yes, I will feel like a COMPLETE tool.

5. Harley387

Harley387 MassCops Member

ummm....fight club?

6. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

There was actually a series of those games right?

7. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Thank you csauce... Indeed there was. It was pretty damn fun too!

Tool status hereby rescinded based on game recognition by supporting member. Eat it Lawman! :D

8. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

If we're talking "felony stop," we'd be talking to the suspect(s) from behind cover with weapons drawn and pointed at the car. The first words would be something to the effect:

"Put your hands up. Turn the car off and throw the keys outside. Driver, open the door and step out with your hands up."

It would go on from there.

9. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

OBVIOUSLY!! You have never been on a felony stop here in SE Mass LA!!

Ktt here in SE Mass the first step is stopping the vehicle, usually there are plenty of cruisers already their to assist you.
    Second step is for all of those officers in those assisting cruisers to JAM THEIR CARS IN PARK!
    Third step is when all of the P.O.'s there to rush the vehicle and rip the operator and passenger from the vehicle, possibly with the intention of recreating the suspects child birth!!

:)

10. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

Sounds like you got it down. Oh wait...LAPD only averages, what, 85 felony stops a day? Keep practicing.... :grin:

11. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

I learned mine from Robert Duval and Sean Penn in Colors.

12. LA Copper

Two more words:

Dead officer

Which is what is eventually gonna happen if you get the wrong bad guy and do it like that. Actually, it's a miracle it hasn't happened already.

True.. but all the more reason for you guys to do it "the other way" when it does happen back there.

13. Trifecta

Trifecta MassCops Member

Fra's way is the only way. Kinda like a Blitz technique

14. kttref

kttref New Member

Yeah that's the Norwalk, Stamford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford way of doing things...it's a little different in my fair hamlet.

In all seriousness though...LA's is most similar to what we do. Yet I have noticed slight differences. The biggest one is checking for weapons. Some do it prior to proning them, some do it after they are proned. I'm not sure which way I like more...

15. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

fra is right. In twenty years of Massachusetts policing, I have never once seen any officers do a felony stop.

LawMan is very funny.

LA Copper is also right. Why we refuse to do felony stops in Massachusetts, I have no idea. Our refusal to do felony stops probably has gotten or certainly will get one of us killed.

What it comes down to, kttref, is going to the MASScops board for information on how to perform felony stops is like going to an ACORN office to learn how to make an honest buck: It just ain't done there.

16. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

In order to do a felony stop you have to have a felon and
    there are none in MA, just ask Caddy Duval if you think I
    am wrong.

17. 5-0

5-0 Guest

NEPS is right. I once confessed at Christmas dinner that I conduct felony stops from behind cover... It was bad. My mom drank herself into oblivion, my dad kept yelling 'where did I go wrong', and my brother won't talk to me any more. Now I joined a support group, and they tell me I was born this way.

18. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

The second step is alighting from the cruiser.

The third is running around that cruiser door -- it's just in the way.

The fourth and subsequent are directly at the driver's door of the suspect vehicle -- push those other blue uniforms out of the way, you must get there first!

19. LA Copper

I know it was; I was just making a point to others on here who might not know.

20. kttref

kttref New Member

I was just looking to compare notes...not asking how to perform them - I know how to perform them. Maybe you missed my initial post.

21. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

I understand that you know how to perform felony stops. In fact, I meant to imply that you know how to do them far better than us.

I met LACopper at the last M&G and we discussed felony stops and our proclivity, in this state, to use the foolish "Massachusetts felony stop." Even after this I ran an alleged gun call that suddenly went mobile. As the car backed out of the driveway I personally led a Massachusetts felony stop.

There was no gun. If there were a gun I like to believe that the people I was responsible for would have survived out of surprise (and the driver certainly was surprised -- that much I had done right) and violence of action. It was not until I PM'd LACopper, proud that I had done a debrief after the incident, and he mentioned, "Gee, why didn't you do a felony stop," that I realized what I should have had officers ready to do.

22. kttref

kttref New Member

I was completely unaware that you guys do them so infrequently. I'm not saying we do them every day - and I personally have never been lead in one...but we do them enough to compare notes between departments. It's so amazing to me to see how different each department reinforces the basics of a felony stop.

However, in all seriousness....the big cities around here...they may do a "basic" felony stop and still beat the piss out of someone...which is where the lawsuits come into play! Gotta try NOT to get pissed off at some shitbag - just because he's a shitbag and keep your cool....

23. Simon

Simon Guest

Hi shitbird................

24. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

In the big family of policing, Massachusetts it one of the odd cousins -- no one is sure whether the cousin is crazy or just a little slow.

Here is another one I bet you don't see often in a metropolitan area outside Massachusetts: Cops coming to and leaving work in full uniform without a gun.

25. kttref

kttref New Member

You've GOT to be kidding me......
    #-o