Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of the Campus Cops had experience arresting for felonies outside of their jurisdiction. Back in January 2003, at in-service we were told that Campus Police Officers now have the authority to arrest for felonies outside their jurisdiction as long as they have probable cause to do so. The instructor referred to the Felony Arrest Rule Commonwealth v. Claiborn 434 Mass. 275 (1996).

Last week another officer and myself arrested a homeless guy that was breaking into a vehicle at night on a side street from our college. The street is obviously not property that is owned operated or leased by the college so we will see how this plays out in court.

·
1,952 Posts
Hey Mazz,

I can ask around for details but I do know that the knew Sheriff of Suffolk County removed the powers of arrest at anytime when it's not on our property. A few weeks ago also I was hearing that our guys had to sign forms etc requesting those powers back. I haven't heard that they have been issued or that they have been sworn back in. I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Originally posted by mazz:
Have any of the Campus Cops had experience arresting for felonies outside of their jurisdiction. Back in January 2003, at in-service we were told that Campus Police Officers now have the authority to arrest for felonies outside their jurisdiction as long as they have probable cause to do so. The instructor referred to the Felony Arrest Rule Commonwealth v. Claiborn 434 Mass. 275 (1996).

Last week another officer and myself arrested a homeless guy that was breaking into a vehicle at night on a side street from our college. The street is obviously not property that is owned operated or leased by the college so we will see how this plays out in court.
My

Any Officer may arrest outside of his/her jurisdiction. However, it will be a citizen's arrest, and may only be for a felony. The only difference is that a civilian must satisfy the "in fact commited" rule, and a Police Officer acting outside of his jurisdiction need only satisfy the "probable cause" rule. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Jeusus Mazz,
They need to get you guys Deputy Sheriff's Powers...Try and hop on board now with the Sheriff about to swear everyone in...You guys should have them as much as anyone...

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
GrumpySarge said:
Jeusus Mazz,
They need to get you guys Deputy Sheriff's Powers...Try and hop on board now with the Sheriff about to swear everyone in...You guys should have them as much as anyone...
Okay, what does Sheriffs' deputy powers have to do with all of this? What powers does it grant you guys? All I get is a pretty card with my name on it and the right to place people in the local jail. All they want is the money for it. Let me know. lol.

Also, Mazz, right on with the citizen's arrest thing. Felony in your presence = good to go.

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the arrest for the B&E to the motor vehicle was good and will most likely fly in court.

As we know Campus Police Officers derive their police powers from many sources such as State Specials, Town Specials, Sheriffs Department, board of trusties of the college, and citizen’s arrest, the list goes on. When making an arrest on or off campus you need to know where your powers come from and if they cover you in that particular situation.

According to the last SSPO in-service Campus Police Officers will no longer need all these sourced because the commonwealth is standardizing or attempting to standardize police powers. I am still unclear if this has happened or if this is in the works. I have been playing phone tag with the instructor hoping to get a better answer. I will keep you posted when I get the information on this.

I know different departments have different powers and jurisdictions, which allow them more authority. However, have any of the Campus Police Officers heard of the standardizing of powers?

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
fuocok said:
Mazz the best way to get hold of Jerry DeCristofarro is with his email. It is on the rolodex card I gave you when I left. If I remember right from in service he said the felony arrest rule as applied to citizens no longer applies to police officers. As long as you are on duty if a felony is committed in your presence your good all day long
Seems he is no longer in the State Police; practicing law full time. Good for him!

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Jerry is still with the state police. I took a Basic Search Warrant class that he taught in full uniform just last week.

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Sorry, wrong trooper - it was the other one Sgt. Didomenica. :D Even so, I just asked around, seems he is off doing bigger and better things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.