Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There are no national federal highway laws. Federal law enforcement is limited to federal laws or property and typically the applicable code of federal regulations (CFRs) that apply to that agency or its purview. Way too far outside the scope of any existing federal agencies. Feds have broad authority but narrow scope for a reason.
I really doubt that could stop them... Ever heard of interstate commerce? Its pretty much the Feds way into regulating anything. They could create a Federal highway patrol quite easily in the "interest" of protecting interstate commerce. They could easily empower their highway rangers to enforce any and all federal and state laws. Never say it isn't possible... Its the government, it does what it wants...

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,749 Posts
There are no national federal highway laws. Federal law enforcement is limited to federal laws or property and typically the applicable code of federal regulations (CFRs) that apply to that agency or its purview. Way too far outside the scope of any existing federal agencies. Feds have broad authority but narrow scope for a reason.
This exactly. There are NO uniform federal traffic laws. Some agencies have written for State traffic violations on federal property with CONCURRENT or EXCLUSIVE jurisdiction, under 18 USC Sec.13 and issued CVN's through U.S. District Court. (V.A. Police, DoD, and some others). I understand the theory of establishing a federal police force. In the practicum, it has already been done. Hurricane Katrina had VA Police from all over the country flying into New Orleans and enforcing martial law. FEMA is also authorized to stand up a force of GS-0083 civilian police. Forget the Highways, the doors have already been peeked through.

Reactions: TacEntry

·
Registered
662 Posts
I really doubt that could stop them... Ever heard of interstate commerce? Its pretty much the Feds way into regulating anything. They could create a Federal highway patrol quite easily in the "interest" of protecting interstate commerce. They could easily empower their highway rangers to enforce any and all federal and state laws. Never say it isn't possible... Its the government, it does what it wants...
There are regulatory non-LE USDOT guys for the interstate commerce stuff. They inspect trucks and stuff. Screw the highway ranger idea. I say we call them the Main Force Patrol (MFP) and they wear motorcycle leather. They will have yellow "Pursuit" marked cars with blue and red stripes. There will also be an elite few that drive black supercharged 1976 Ford Falcon XB "Interceptors" that have huge blowers that you can inexplicably turn on and off. Their main sidearm will be sawed-off double barrel shotguns of course. They will be extremely effective at running down rogue motorcycle gangs that are known to mostly ride Kawasaki K1000's...

·
Registered
319 Posts
This exactly. There are NO uniform federal traffic laws. Some agencies have written for State traffic violations on federal property with CONCURRENT or EXCLUSIVE jurisdiction, under 18 USC Sec.13 and issued CVN's through U.S. District Court. (V.A. Police, DoD, and some others). I understand the theory of establishing a federal police force. In the practicum, it has already been done. Hurricane Katrina had VA Police from all over the country flying into New Orleans and enforcing martial law. FEMA is also authorized to stand up a force of GS-0083 civilian police. Forget the Highways, the doors have already been peeked through.
Martial law was never declared in New Orleans after Katrina, and in fact hasn’t been declared in the United States since the 1960’s.

Martial law means the military comes into a jurisdiction and assumes responsibility for law enforcement, essentially suspending Posse Comitatus. It’s a very scary proposition, so it’s been very sparingly used, with good reason.

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There are regulatory non-LE USDOT guys for the interstate commerce stuff. They inspect trucks and stuff.
you were thinking about this to logically. Don’t think about this as a person who sees a redundancy. Rather, think about it as a federal legislator or administrator who wants to expand the power of the federal government.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,749 Posts
Martial law was never declared in New Orleans after Katrina, and in fact hasn’t been declared in the United States since the 1960’s.

Martial law means the military comes into a jurisdiction and assumes responsibility for law enforcement, essentially suspending Posse Comitatus. It’s a very scary proposition, so it’s been very sparingly used, with good reason.
Sorry,
should have referred to it as "declared emergency" versus martial law. I just remember L.E. of all types going to homes and illegally confiscating lawfully owned weapons that years later the federal courts ordered returned. THAT was scary too. "Posse Comitatus" interestingly enough, has NEVER had anyone charged with violating it. The Army regularly (and erroneously) cited it since the 90's to severely curtail their civilian (GS-0083) police from performing L.E. functions against fellow civilians. Don't even get me started on that foolishness.

Reactions: Roy Fehler

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sorry,
should have referred to it as "declared emergency" versus martial law. I just remember L.E. of all types going to homes and illegally confiscating lawfully owned weapons that years later the federal courts ordered returned. THAT was scary too. "Posse Comitatus" interestingly enough, has NEVER had anyone charged with violating it. The Army regularly (and erroneously) cited it since the 90's to severely curtail their civilian (GS-0083) police from performing L.E. functions against fellow civilians. Don't even get me started on that foolishness.
Yes.... Katrina empowered FEMA to use fed LEO's within declared disaster area. FEMA footed the bill for various federal agencies to pick up where decimated and ineffective local agencies were falling short. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
"Posse Comitatus" interestingly enough, has NEVER had anyone charged with violating it. The Army regularly (and erroneously) cited it since the 90's to severely curtail their civilian (GS-0083) police from performing L.E. functions against fellow civilians. Don't even get me started on that foolishness.
Posse Comitatus only applies to active-duty military, not to state-activated National Guard or Federal civilian police.

It sounds like the Department of the Army just doesn’t want the headaches of their civilian police dealing with other civilians.

·
75th N.H.P.A.
338 Posts
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Everything 10,001 or more pounds GVW.

·
MassCops Member
342 Posts
I’ve been saying for the last few years that the Left’s ultimate goal of defunding and demonizing local police is to make the populations experiencing the (easily predictable) resulting rise in crime eventually clamor for more protection. And since the local police can’t do it anymore - due to the defunding, hiring and retention issues, etc - the Feds would at some point have to step in to take care of it. Earlier today, Candace Owens was on the Tucker Carlson show and shared her similar conclusions that the defunding etc and subsequent rise in crime is a prelude to the Left pushing for some type of National Police Force. The video clip is a bit more than 3 minutes long, worth watching. (They are talking about Chicago specifically, but her comments about the Feds using the rising crime to eventually get directly involved in local policing start at about the 1:15 mark.)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts