Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’ve heard this idea slung around by some co workers of mine. Honestly, they see it as an eventuality, but I’m not so sure. I just find it hard to believe. What would they enforce, what would their powers be, etc. What do y’all think about this idea.(in my head, it’s federal cops with barracks along major interstate highways)

·
MassCops Member
317 Posts
I’ve not heard about this, but....... The Left needs a Federal Police Force to do their bidding, and in the not too distant future, we will hear more and more about this concept. I have not read anything about a national highway patrol, but at first thought, it would seem to be a good starting point for the Feds: begin with these guys enforcing traffic laws on interstate highways, and then move from there too..... whatever else they need ‘em for.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts

Everything you need to know is in this book...get it before it’s burned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow, that’s strange, I was thinking the same thing the other day. Not sure if it’s feasible though or a good idea for that matter. I could very easily see it going from strictly interstate traffic enforcement to encroaching on State and City/Town duties.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I’ve not heard about this, but....... The Left needs a Federal Police Force to do their bidding, and in the not too distant future, we will hear more and more about this concept. I have not read anything about a national highway patrol, but at first thought, it would seem to be a good starting point for the Feds: begin with these guys enforcing traffic laws on interstate highways, and then move from there too..... whatever else they need ‘em for.
Good starting point?

There would be absolutely nothing “good” about such a naked power grab by an already overreaching Federal government.

There are reasons why the uniformed Federal law enforcement agencies have very narrowly focused missions and limited authority. I believe the only one that can enforce state/local law (outside the Assimilative Crimes Act) is the US Park Police in Washington DC, and that authority is limited to just within DC.

The Founding Fathers knew the dangers of a national police force. A Federal “highway patrol” would be the first step towards that, although the numbers of near-sighted whackers who would want the job would be frightening.

The current system of the states patrolling the interstate highways is working just fine, there’s absolutely no need to “fix” it.

·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good starting point?

There would be absolutely nothing “good” about such a naked power grab by an already overreaching Federal government.

There are reasons why the uniformed Federal law enforcement agencies have very narrowly focused missions and limited authority. I believe the only one that can enforce state/local law (outside the Assimilative Crimes Act) is the US Park Police in Washington DC, and that authority is limited to just within DC.

The Founding Fathers knew the dangers of a national police force. A Federal “highway patrol” would be the first step towards that, although the numbers of near-sighted whackers who would want the job would be frightening.

The current system of the states patrolling the interstate highways is working just fine, there’s absolutely no need to “fix” it.
I’m not suggesting there is a need to fix it, I just wanna hear what people think about the idea honestly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’m not suggesting there is a need to fix it, I just wanna hear what people think about the idea honestly.
Interesting idea, but ultimately there’s really no need for it. States get the job done for the most part. Unless in the future traffic violations on the highways get out of hand and state LE don’t have enough personnel to enforce then maybe.. and with some of the Civil Service registration numbers I see floating around, that’s not hard to imagine.

·
MassCops Member
317 Posts
.......There would be absolutely nothing “good” about such a naked power grab by an already overreaching Federal government......
I’m not saying it’d be “good” for us (it wouldn’t) but it’d advantageous for an autocratic, overreaching Federal government..... so hopefully it won’t happen. Independent state and local law enforcement agencies are a barrier to any attempt at encroaching power by a centralized government. From their standpoint, an autocratic central government needs its own police force to get done what it wants to get done..... The Left knows this, and it is why my gut feeling is that we will see studies about the necessity of - and ultimately calls (from The Left) for - various additional National law enforcement agencies.

I personally have never read or seen anything about any call for a Federal Highway Patrol, so I’d like to see the source of the OP’s comments. But, think about it: If an autocratic central government wanted to ultimately establish a National Police Force, what better place to start than a Federal Highway Patrol - with “limited” traffic enforcement authority - on the Interstate Highways? You can bet if that ever happened, it wouldn’t be long till their authority was significantly expanded to include any and all types of criminal enforcement. And then voila, you’ve got what “they” want, a National Police Force, similar to what almost every other country in the world has. I’m old enough that I will thankfully not live long enough to see this happen (if it ever does); it’s up to the younger generations now to guard against these potentially liberty-ending scenarios.

·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m not saying it’d be “good” for us (it wouldn’t) but it’d advantageous for an autocratic, overreaching Federal government..... so hopefully it won’t happen. Independent state and local law enforcement agencies are a barrier to any attempt at encroaching power by a centralized government. From their standpoint, an autocratic central government needs its own police force to get done what it wants to get done..... The Left knows this, and it is why my gut feeling is that we will see studies about the necessity of - and ultimately calls (from The Left) for - various additional National law enforcement agencies.

I personally have never read or seen anything about any call for a Federal Highway Patrol, so I’d like to see the source of the OP’s comments. But, think about it: If an autocratic central government wanted to ultimately establish a National Police Force, what better place to start than a Federal Highway Patrol - with “limited” traffic enforcement authority - on the Interstate Highways? You can bet if that ever happened, it wouldn’t be long till their authority was significantly expanded to include any and all types of criminal enforcement. And then voila, you’ve got what “they” want, a National Police Force, similar to what almost every other country in the world has. I’m old enough that I will thankfully not live long enough to see this happen (if it ever does); it’s up to the younger generations now to guard against these potentially liberty-ending scenarios.
My “source” doesn’t exist. Like I said , this was just an idea that my coworkers were throwing around. Honestly, we thought it was the logical place to start if you wanted a national police force.

·
Registered
107 Posts

You have it backwards, the left doesn’t want more law enforcement, they want less. The last thing they’d want is a federal agency created just to police the highways.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
They don’t want LE...they want cronies they can manipulate to enforce their bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CCCSD and Joel98

·
Registered
313 Posts
You have it backwards, the left doesn’t want more law enforcement, they want less. The last thing they’d want is a federal agency created just to police the highways.
Oh, they want law enforcement all right, but only agencies they can use to investigate/punish their political enemies, and infringe on the civil liberties of the citizenry.

Look no further than the FBI, they’re an absolute joke in law enforcement circles now, they’ve been exposed as the enforcement arm of the Democrat Party.

·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, they want law enforcement all right, but only agencies they can use to investigate/punish their political enemies, and infringe on the civil liberties of the citizenry.

Look no further than the FBI, they’re an absolute joke in law enforcement circles now, they’ve been exposed as the enforcement arm of the Democrat Party.
I totally agree here. If you look at what those absolute stooges are doing to the capitol riots, its ridiculous. All the while, real rioters who burn federal buildings and smash property in portland go unpunished. They've turned themselves into a joke. I once wanted to be an FBI agent, now I'd rather work in the CIA or corrections than ever touch that job. I hold nothing but contempt for those federal "investigators" who are really just acting like the gestapo of the democratic party.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The leftists want to get rid of local, constitutional policing, and instill their own Gestapo or KGB to arrest political enemies.

They realize that the majority of Law Enforcement in this country leans to the right and follows the Constitution. That’s why they hate cops so much. However they will still need someone to enforce their dictatorship, hence why they want to create a federalized police force similar to the Stasi, a secret police.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The internal battle of uniform design and what type of hats to wear would rage on for years. That alone is enough to discourage the establishment of a Federal HP.

·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The internal battle of uniform design and what type of hats to wear would rage on for years. That alone is enough to discourage the establishment of a Federal HP.
Federal highway rangers. That’s what i think they should be called. And wear scary black uniforms with the campaign hats.

·
Registered
590 Posts

they love arresting cops. No more needs to be said

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,428 Posts
I've always been told/taught that the LAST thing liberals want is a National Police simply because, there's no control in the by and large. You can always disband (defund?) a local PD but a national one would be there forever barring an act of congress and of course, the mindset of the nation isn't always in one camp or the other. If a National Police Service is established (NOT the Clinton thing) and the left is suddenly sidelined, well, going back to the FBI, do we not recall where they USED to be? Commies, Radicals, Civil Rights Advocates. Granted now they seem to work for the Commies and Radicals, but as short sighted as they are, I'm sure many on the left could imagine the pendulum swinging RIGHT again and a National Police Force would definitely NOT be something they would want. No, in theory, many would love the idea, but in reality, it's best the way it is, though it often seems like there are TOO many agencies and many duplicating each other's work.

·
Registered
655 Posts
There are no national federal highway laws. Federal law enforcement is limited to federal laws or property and typically the applicable code of federal regulations (CFRs) that apply to that agency or its purview. Way too far outside the scope of any existing federal agencies. Feds have broad authority but narrow scope for a reason.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts