Federal Air Marshall | MassCops

Federal Air Marshall

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by VTTrooper, Jan 30, 2009.

1. VTTrooper

VTTrooper New Member

If any FAM's can send me a message, I am looking into FAM and was wondering about hours, pay and several other things.

2. mase4615

mase4615 MassCops Member

I second that. I would also like some info...PM me also

Thanks

3. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

I would also like some info on that. Can a FAM PM me as well

4. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Did you already search online and on Federal employment websites to see if any of your questions are already answered? I would think they would be.

I have a friend who left my agency to become an Air Marshal. It is what you make of it, he loves it and voluntarily chooses a lot of extra assignments. Probably not a good job if you are married or have children.

5. MPD703

MPD703 Subscribing Member

I know some FAMS. The training is good. The hours are long and generally boring. From what I know the op tempo is fairly brisk - good chucks of time away from your duty station. The problems with the bosses are still being worked out. They get the federal law enforcement retirement, availabilty pay and they just won a lawsuit to get regular overtime. FAMS are not 1811 investigators so if you want to transfer to a different agency you will have to have do a Federal academy.

6. Mass

Mass MassCops Member

I also know a FAM. The last time we spoke, he informed me that he was looking into leaving because he didn't have a family life because of the job and his second marrige was already on the rocks.

7. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Ditto..the one I know said the same thing...plus sitting on a plane that much sucks.

8. PTL117PB

PTL117PB New Member

Your post is right on with all jobs in Law Enforcement. It is what we make out of it.

9. emerlad

emerlad New Member

Go for the air-
    Why not...
    This state is in the hopper.
    No cop jobs for a long time, feds are hiring big, plus big money too boot.
    I have 1 more week to hear from the feds, then start to the big time for me.
    FLETC is disney world for Federal Law Enforcement.

10. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The federal government is in the hopper, also. They just have the luxury of printing more money (economic stimulus) to temporarily hold-off the crash of the house of cards.

12. uspresident1

uspresident1 MassCops Member

I don't know how they run things in Glynco, but I can assure you FLETC Artesia (where the FAMS spend 8 weeks) is the exact opposite of "Disney World".

13. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

There was an article in the American Police Beat magazine this month about FAMs. Not a good article at all, seems like they are hiring a lot of undesirables to fill the positions, as there is a huge turnover in that agency.

14. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

I have heard the same thing as well, also about the USBP.

Trust me, it will come back to haunt them...I would say that the FAM is still a decent job, however heed my advice to stay far away from the BP boys...just trust me ;)

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Is it any wonder the US Border Patrol isn't attracting top-flight candidates? They're in an impossible situation (especially after 1/20), and get thrown in prison for doing their job.

16. VTTrooper

VTTrooper New Member

Every agency has it's bad apples. I would not assume the FAM's as a whole are bad because of a few knucleheads that slipped through the cracks. The media loves to take anything any law officer does wrong and run with it. They paint with a very broad brush, and ultimatley make the agency look bad. If a cop does something great you hear about for a day or two, if they screw up, it goes on forever!

17. emerlad

emerlad New Member

Disney World in the sense of loving every moment and enjoying the ride.
    FLETC is a great experience, one I will always remember.
    More than likely going again.
    I guess you didn't like all the shooting, DT, and great training YOU got.

18. uspresident1

uspresident1 MassCops Member

I never said I didn't enjoy the training. Most people would pay to shoot simunitions and drive the ER course. The training at all FLETC facilties are certainly second to none. However, during downtime after hours and on the weekends and holidays at Artesia there isn't much that resembles Disney World. At least at Glynco there is Jack and Savannah an hour away.

19. Up_On_Base

Up_On_Base New Member

I was offered the FAMS job and turned it down, they wanted me in DC. I was looking to get away from DC metro and head back north.

I have lots of info on FAMS, feel free to send a PM or post on here. Also check out officer . com

I am former USSS-UD, lots of former USSS-Sa's that run the show over there and lots of former UD that are FAMS. I call FAMS Secret Service light, very similar agencies in all aspects but less attitude.

Same weapons, same mgt. style, and same amount of high turnover. It's a great paying gig, many guys by year 3 (I band) are making 120K but the job is boring. You can easily go YEARS or even a career w/o a lockup.

So, if you are proactive it's not the place for you. Also, you will start in a big city FO and it will take 5 year min to get to Boston or smaller town.

Also, it's Air Marshal...not Marshall:fun:

20. Up_On_Base

Up_On_Base New Member

Well played good sir

21. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Ok now STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

22. Up_On_Base

Up_On_Base New Member

:rofl:

Now that is funny

23. scotman

scotman MassCops Member

any fams can give me some info on how to apply as im getting know where on usa.gov
    thanks sman

24. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

You probably mean usajobs.com.

However I believe you need an account with Avue Services to access the FAMS job listings.

It would help if you worked on your grammar...

25. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

They closed the job posting on 2/17 on usajobs.com

Ya missed it for now... maybe they'll have something else listed sometime soon.