Fatal Shooting Aboard British Nuclear Submarine | MassCops

Fatal Shooting Aboard British Nuclear Submarine

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Apr 8, 2011.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

[​IMG]

Reuters

Oct. 22, 2010: Crew stand on the deck of the Royal Navy nuclear-powered submarine HMS Astute, as it lies next to the Coastguard tug Anglian Prince, off the Isle of Skye, northwest Scotland.

One person is dead, and another injured, after a shooting aboard a British nuclear submarine, the Daily Echo reports.
    An active serviceman has been arrested for the fatal shooting, according to Sky News.
    The incident occurred on the HMS Astute, which is currently docked in Southampton.
    In a statement, Hampshire Police said the incident was not terror-related and there was no risk to the public.
    Several police vehicles were sent to the Eastern Docks at the Hampshire port and officers could be seen on the gangway of the submarine.
    A police spokesman said they were called by the Ministry of Defense shortly after midday.
    "Hampshire Constabulary and the MoD are keen to stress this incident is not terrorist related."
    HMS Astute previously made headlines when it ran aground on a shingle bank between the Scottish mainland and the Isle of Skye and remained marooned for several hours.

Click here for more about the nuclear submarine shooting from Sky News.

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

They seem to be pushing the "no terror" thing a bit hard...."thou doth protest too much".

3. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Yikes! sounds like somebody lost it and went berserk!:unsure:

4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Someone probably couldn't take the food anymore....British eats are bad enough on land, imagine what it's like after a couple of months underwater.

5. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

Nice reference! I'm in the mood to watch it now.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

6. kav

kav MassCops Member

[​IMG]
    "Would you mind not shooting at the thermonuclear weapons!" (broken arrow)

Definitely not as good as the other classic movie, but a relevant reference nonetheless.

7. ShmitDiesel

ShmitDiesel Radio

Did he shoot the cook?

8. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

"Send the Doctor to my stateroom, there's been a dreadful accident!"

9. CPT Chaos

CPT Chaos Subscribing Member

You beat me to it! That was the first thing I thought of!

[​IMG]

10. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

If they are making that big a deal about the no terror angle, methinks the shooter may be a mooselimb....In which case even if it was a one man isolated incident, it is definitely terror related. The crew is lucky, with body armor and the equivilent of an M-4 this guy could have done some serious damage.

11. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

The Brits will probably use this as an excuse to ban all firearms on Royal Navy vessels!

Make no mistake, the SA-80 is not the equivalent of an M4. Probably the worst service rifle since the Chauchat. The shooter is lucky it even fired.

12. OCKS

OCKS Guest

Chief "pretty officer" R. Crowley told reporters "I can't understand what could drive men this mad". Crowley futher said "I run a tight ship and I demand to know who ate the strawberries":stomp:

13. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Ahhh.. you beat me to it!

14. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Let's suppose for a minute that the shooter found his, errrr, partner with another swabby.:redcarded:

What's long and hard and full of seamen?

15. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

Nicely done OCKS. A Bogart classic:

YouTube - Caine Mutiny - Capt. Queeg Loses It

For whatever reason, all I could think of was Armageddon: "Who brings a gun into space?" :teeth_smile:

16. mpd61

Ahhh V...

It's "whats long, black, and full of seamen?"

17. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Welle it aint White and Long, or so everyone will have you believe.:rolleyes:

18. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't trying to attest to the quality of the rifle, just that it is a military assault rifle with 30 rounds of 5.56. Though I heard quality improved a bit since HK tweaked them.

19. mpd61

FIFY:teeth_smile:

20. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Scott Glenn: "Mr. Thompson, call Chief Watson to the conn... with his sidearm."

21. mpd61

You know I rode two Boomers, and let me tell you, those weekly pissing contests between the Captain and XO really left the rest of us with a major case of PTSD...