Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this here because of the abundance of fake IDs on campuses (large underage population :uc: &c.), but hopefully others will have input as well; its kind of half of a question, half of a discussion, all is appreciated.
An individual was arrested in front of my house after providing a fake ID to a city police detective who was questioning him regarding a misplaced couch in the middle of the street as well as path of overturned garbage cans. Aside from the fact that giving any false or forged identification to any law enforcement official is a terrible idea, how often does this really happen (besides illegals)? I know detail officers in bars may see this all the time, but even more so, does anybody have any stories about direct and blatant presentation to a police officer :?:
(As an aside, I think they were going to just turn him over to his nearby campus police department until this little felony occurred. The expected bargaining [-o< / whimpering/ hyper-ventilating ensued when the marked unit rolled up. I guess he didn't think they were serious.)

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
I have dealed with a fake ID. I think the most powerful weapon we can use besides arrest id the RMV Affidavit of Person Obtaining License/identifiaction docuement Pursuant to MGL C90 Sec22. This results in an automatic suspension of the individuals real license for I believe six months

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
At FSC all non-residents must provide a valid picture ID to enter dorms. We issued criminal complaints for subjects who are found using fake IDs and remove same from campus. The student desk workers at each dorm are required to copy all OLN numbers and call with any questions regarding fake ID issues.

Does not seem to be a huge problem / approximately 3-5 incidents per year.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
MT-1 said:
The difficult part about using the MGL's concerning the altered RMV document is that you will have a hard time applying that towards an out-of-state license. If you can prove that the subject was using a falsified ID for the purpose of obtaining alcohol, you can employ 138-34A. This is also a useful section to go after the "borrowed" ID cards and will result in license suspension as will Chap 90. Some well-asked questions to the subject should eventually produce an admission that the ID was for getting into bars or purchasing liquor:
Q: "Not a bad ID, kid...you really get into bars with this?"
A: "No, they always stop me at the door"
BUSTED: 34A covers attempts to procure or purchase.
Q: "So why do you have this ID? Are you forging checks or doing credit card scams?"
A: "No, nothing like that."
Q: "So it's just to get beer then?"
A: (Choosing lesser of 2 evils)"Yeah."

Most underage subjects will have the fake ID buried in their wallet and obviously will not show it to you. When you have a subject who is getting their ID from the wallet, look closely as they fetch it out for you for indications of a fake ID back there. Sometimes the fake will be right behind their real ID, other times they will try to conceal the wallet as they get the ID - usually an indicator of a fake ID or narcotics. If you think you see a second ID, just ask, "Is that another license you have in there? Is it yours?" The obvious signs of nervousness etc. will probably be present.
Hopefully thats AFTER the suspect has been read his/her rights? ( J/K since you guys had a nice writup in the MPA Sentinel.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
MT-1 said:
Most underage subjects will have the fake ID buried in their wallet and obviously will not show it to you. When you have a subject who is getting their ID from the wallet, look closely as they fetch it out for you for indications of a fake ID back there. Sometimes the fake will be right behind their real ID, other times they will try to conceal the wallet as they get the ID - usually an indicator of a fake ID or narcotics. If you think you see a second ID, just ask, "Is that another license you have in there? Is it yours?" The obvious signs of nervousness etc. will probably be present.
I like it when they pull out a few different ones and have to check to make sure they're giving you the "right" one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
:/ Or even better when you ask for an ID they forget there holding in their hand and they tell you they don't have any ID on them :huh: .. To my reply than whats that you're holding in your hand :?: :?:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...on the other side of the coin back in college, a Resident Assistant kept furtively demanding OUR student IDs while he was holding them in HIS hand. Needless to say, I had trouble complying further :roll: .

All great responses, thanks! (I was flipping through some ID books this past week also, as several states are changing.)

·
Subscribing Member
4,315 Posts
No problem in using Chapter 90/24b. You have to charge them with Possession of Counterfeit License which covers out of state fake licenses. Check that license with the specific state and get a DQ printout to support your case. We arrested a kid for OUI last week and he had a NJ DL in his wallet, very good license, one of the best I've seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.