Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conveyor Belts Slashed, Wires Cut

BOSTON -- Boston police said vandals got into the Boston Herald newspaper plant and vandalized it Tuesday night, cutting conveyor belts and and tampering with machines.

The destruction comes just as the paper is planning to close its printing presses and outsource the work, laying off union workers.

Witnesses told officers that someone cut 15 conveyor belts and tampered with about six sorting and counting machines, also cutting important wires in the newspaper's mail room.
The conveyor belts move newspapers from the printing room to waiting delivery trucks.

Investigators were told there were no problems at the plant when it was checked about 3:30 p.m., and security saw nothing unusual when guards did a routine walk-through about 7 p.m. The vandalism was discovered when the night manager came in about 8:30 p.m.

The Herald announced plans in June to outsource its printing to plants in Chicopee and Norwood because its 50-year-old presses had become unreliable.

The paper reached a tentative agreement with the Teamsters union representing the 130 workers who will be laid off as a result of the move. They include drivers, mailers, paper handlers and haulers, and press operators.

Herald publisher Patrick J. Purcell said a plan covering severance pay and other issues was drawn up by the union and acccepted by the paper last week. He said the agreement was handled amicably and professionally.

Union members, however, still need to ratify the agreement and other unions representing smaller groups of workers, such as electricians and machinests, are still negotiating with the paper.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/17547152/detail.html

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I'm crying my eyes out.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
I think I just shed a tear... no wait just something in my eye.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.