External vest carriers | Page 2 | MassCops

External vest carriers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by stm4710, Feb 5, 2013.

1. GMass

GMass Guest

Insurance only covers 20 in a lifetime, which are spent. I can't afford 2x a week out of pocket.

(though I do miss the fake cans on the girl at the front desk)

Code 3, frank and Delta784 like this.
  2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

There's a chiropractic plan (private) that I and my wife have where you pay a yearly fee, and then the office visits are peanuts. I crunched the numbers, and it's a HUGE discount over out-of-pocket.

My wife did all the paperwork, I'll ask her tomorrow and will shoot you a PM with the info.

3. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

There are a few things you can do on your own that help me;

Back stretches, sit on your knees then lean forward on the ground and stretch your arms in front of you (kind of like a Muslim prayer), this stretches your lower back and feels great after a work day.

Another thing you can is strengthen your core. do the plank for about thirty seconds to one minute every day, this strengthens your core and lower back and will help with some back issues

frank and LGriffin like this.
  4. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

24 years for me and I've been lucky so far too.

Joel98 and Delta784 like this.
  5. SgtAndySipowicz

SgtAndySipowicz Supporting Member

I am shocked at how many guys don't wear them on my job.....I always hear "they are too uncomfortable". If you can't handle the uncomfort of a vest how's that bullet going to feel?

6. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

I find that hard to believe because we sit under the protective umbrella of Obamacare. Everything is free!

7costanza, Dan Stark, nikc12 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

Don't wear one-when asked, I tell family, friends, to duct tape two pieces of 1" plywood to their chest and back-then go about thir routine, let me know how that works out for ya. I DO have a set of military grade suspenders attached to my "battle" belt-the one for Game 7's, Marathon, Occupy, etc (double cuffs, baton, gas mask, etc) that does wonders when you're on your feet for several hours. Would try the new carrier if the Dept issues (TRY)!
    Maybe the extra weight doesn't help the fit either o_O

BxDetSgt likes this.
  8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I'd rather wear 2 pieces of plywood than take my last gasp, wondering how my kids will grow up without their father.

Nightstalker, lofu, Code 3 and 4 others like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

10. Code5Sir

Code5Sir MassCops Member

I've been a big fan of the external carriers. I wore my vest internally for years and don't plan on going back to it. Too many pros and not many cons to the external setup. Perhaps the only con is that it lacks the impractical and traditional look that New England PDs won't easily get away from.

lofu and Joel98 like this.
  11. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Don't overlook Delta's observation, it makes an attractive mope handle.

Delta784 likes this.
  12. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I put my vest on over my shirt, and told my wife to grab the armholes and pull. I was on the ground before I could react, and I KNEW it was coming.

Hush likes this.
  13. Code5Sir

Code5Sir MassCops Member

Delta, you make a good point. I guess you have to ultimately wear what works you. The external is nice for taking off inside the office to generate paperwork in comfort. It only takes 3 seconds to put back on. I also had my external carrier custom made. I'm fortunate to have admin that does mind the " tactical" look for patrol . Plenty if pockets for all the junk I carry.

14. Code5Sir

Code5Sir MassCops Member

* doesn't ...... Gig on me

15. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

I have seen a couple MA PD's using the external vest so far, Monson being one of them.

16. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Theres quite a few in the metro west and north shore.

17. GMass

GMass Guest

Bamp!

18. Harley387

Harley387 MassCops Member

Lucky bastard.

lofu likes this.
  19. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but was this really a fair assessment and experiment? You knew it was coming. Did you take evasive action or did you passively stand there and let her toss you? Obviously if you're gonna stand there and wait for it, it's gonna happen. A properly tucked in uniform shirt can be a good grabbing point too, especially around the neck. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not gonna stand there and let a bad guy grab me by both arm holes without a fight.

lofu likes this.
  20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I stood in the interview stance, as I would when speaking with anyone who I don't know or isn't on the job, and told her to grab the armholes of my vest and try to pull me to the ground.

I knew it was coming, I just didn't know when, and she was able to get me on the ground before I could react. My wife is tall (5-10), but not as tall as me (6-3) and not nearly as strong as the male suspects that we deal with, so draw your own conclusions.

As for a uniform shirt being a good grabbing point, that's just ridiculous. The armholes of an external vest are a perfect grabbing point, being securely fastened to the body, and near you center of gravity.

Code 3 likes this.
  21. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

If someone latches onto my shirt, and it has happened before, I already know in my mind I'm going to get hurt, it's only to what degree. I actually move closer to the person to prevent them from being able to get a decent swing. I also fight dirty, pulling hair (where the head goes so does the body), punching noses ( it's hard to see through watery eyes), striking crotches, head butts, and trying to use my environment as a weapon (walls make great stunning techniques). Is it what they teach in the academy? I don't know but as a veteran of many bar fights and the like, I perfected my own technique that seems to work. Two rules, go home bruised and battered, but go home. And make them hurt much worse than you.

I'm really looking forward to using a brachial stun. Hopefully that would mean I don't get hurt at all.

USMCMP5811, Oscar8, frank and 4 others like this.
  22. stm4710

stm4710 Subscribing Member

Got it. So far so good, i like when im sitting in the report room wearing a turtle neck I can pop it off and be cooler. Also seem to have alot more flexibility and ROM than under the shirt.

23. GMass

GMass Guest

How many gigs you running?
    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

24. Oscar8

Oscar8 MassCops Member

LMAO

I have yet to try out one of these external vest carriers. I am interested though.

25. Truck

Truck MassCops Member