Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a charge expunged from about 6 yrs ago because it is really becoming a pain in the ass during my job search. It isn't even serious, just a misdemeanor.

Anyone know of any lawyers experienced in this?

Anyone have any stories good or bad about people that have gone for expungement? such as length of time, level of difficulty for that person?

Any help is very appreciated.
Thanks

[email protected]

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
As far as I know, you cannot get anythign expunegd from your BOP. The only thing you can do is maybe seal it, but no department would hire you unless you sign a form that opens the record so they coudl see it. I think sealing a record is worse than just explaining the problem. Were you found not guilty or was case dismissed. In that case, technically you cannot be denied employment in a police department. I do backgrounds for our department and during our training we were told

"Police officers do not go around arresting people for no reason"
What I mean, is that there was enough for you to be arrested. I go to the individual department where the charge was from and request the arrest report. Good luck, but remember, honesty is the best policy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is possible to get a record expunged from your bop.
It is much more time consuming than getting a record sealed, which I looked into and does not interest me.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
Originally posted by capecop88:
It is possible to get a record expunged from your bop.
Yeah, I think I remember hearing that it takes the Governor's signature. Cape, getting anything expunged will hurt your background investigation because it will cause a giant pain in the a$$ for the investigator. Plus you need to bear in mind that every police application is going to ask you about your criminal record and there is never an exception for expunged cases. Basically expungement is useful for the civilian world where all they run are CORI but it's not really set up for law enforcement.

If it is as insignificant as you indicated then just be patient and honest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts