Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Explosive devices found on Swampscott beach

SWAMPSCOTT, Mass. -- Police are searching for the person responsible for planting homemade bombs on a popular local beach.
A woman jogging discovered the two explosive devices in the sand on Fisherman's Beach along Puritan Road. Without thinking, the woman picked them up and threw them in the trash in front of her Puritan Road home. She then called police.
Officials said that the explosives were duct-taped covered tennis balls filled with gunpowder that had fuses protruding from them.
Firefighter Robert Faulkner said that if one of them went off, it could have killed somebody.
Puritan Road residents were evacuated and the local gas station was shut down, as was the road for much of the day.
Police are now looking for suspects and are warning visitors to Fisherman's Beach not to pickup any suspicious items.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO91753/

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not to make light this but, it's probably just some kids screwing around. My friends and I used to cut the heads off strike anywhere matches and stuff them in tennis balls like that. When they were packed real tight, if you threw them against something hard enough, they'd light and make a small explosion with a good pop.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
...the explosives were duct-taped covered tennis balls filled with gunpowder that had fuses protruding from them.
Without thinking, the woman picked them up and threw them in the trash in front of her Puritan Road home. She then called police.
Duct taped tennis balls with protruding fuses and she picks them up..

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
So what are you saying7? I'm not bombable?

The naiveté of the John and Jane Q. Public never cease to amaze me...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts