Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better to work for as a COP, Private or State?
(and please disregard salary)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm gonna have to go with private on this one. From what I'm hearing around here, some of the top campus PDs around are private (MIT, NU, Harvard, BU, BC). As with anything, it depends on the specific comparison and situation. However, it looks to me as though the best private campuses are better than the best public. I'm thinking in terms of pay, benefits, activity, and administrative support.
-Eric

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Private. I have noticed that most private schools pay more than state

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would go with private, you can make more money and the education incentive is good as well sometimes. We get all of our classes for free. OT is usually plentiful as well.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
STATE

In the state system you can move on to another state school and keep all your vacation and sick time as well as the same pay grade.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Im going with State here, only because of the state education incentive. Although Private you can almost never be layed off. So its a matter of Job Security or civil servant

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
It depends on what you are looking for. That can vary from person to person. I have worked in both entities. Granted, I am making about five grand more a year now, I miss the state. I had so much time off that I did not literally know what to do with it all! Can we say "Bunker Hill Day off?!?!" Myyyy goodness.

Private sector pays more, and may or may not be more liberal and may or may not be more squared away. As a general sense... Sate is better due to the:

1. Time off
2. Bumping privillages
3. Lateral transfer privillages
4. Early retirement incentive

*The kicker is that the pay sucks. Just my :2c:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree , there are both some good private & state colleges/universities to work for. It has to depend on how the dept. is run. :shock: :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.