Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PITTSBURGH (AP) - A black man contends he was fired at the end of his 18-month probationary period as a state trooper for false claims that he didn't properly write reports, and sometimes used Ebonics in doing so, according to a federal lawsuit.
The federal lawsuit was filed Tuesday on behalf of William Peake, 29, of Sewickley, who graduated from the police academy in May 2009 and soon after was stationed at the Uniontown barracks, which his attorney contends employs nearly all white troopers.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/05/ex-pa-trooper-claims-he-was-fired-over-ebonics/

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
You're not being fired because you're black. You were HIRED because you're black. You're being fired because it turns out you're kind of stupid. .
Highest rated comment on article. OUCH

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
You're not being fired because you're black. You were HIRED because you're black.

Hmmmmm sounds all to familiar.

G

·
Even if ebonics was recognized as a valid language, it is not proper ENGLISH, which is the language that any law enforcement agency in the US will want their reports written in. He cannot write in "ebonics" any more than a Hispanic officer can write reports in Spanish, or an Asian officer can write in Chinese. :rolleyes:

Sent from my wicked smaht DROID RAZR

·
Always Watching
8,278 Posts
How did he even make it out of The Academy if he couldn't write in English?
Sadly, failures are overlooked as agencies try to meet quotas which favor minorities. We had a blatant case of this in my academy where a certain individual was exempt from PT due to phantom headaches. It's unacceptable and regardless of pressure, the staff must start applying the rules and regs. equally so that these individuals are bounced before they sue. The rules and regs. are in writing. Apply them.

He's reportedly embarrassed for being terminated over being laughed out of court? There is no excuse for the inability to produce a coherent police report. I don't understand how he could pass on the opportunities afforded by Brown v. Board of Education in 1954. Fifty-eight years of the same educational opportunities, if not more, and we still hear excuses and demands for entitlements from those who are too lazy to put in the work, which makes it worse for those who do!

Don't go away mad, just go away and maybe read a book or two.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
What chu talkin 'bout Willis?

Reactions: zm88
G

·
If you write like a dumbass, then people will assume you're a dumbass, even if you're not.

Even when sending a text message, I always use proper and complete grammar.....no "r u @ home?" for me, because if you start taking shortcuts, they will surface in your everyday writing.

A defense attorney who I was somewhat friendly with once confessed that he took a plea for a drug case I had, solely because my report was complete, accurate, and well-written.

G

·
If you write like a dumbass, then people will assume you're a dumbass, even if you're not.

Even when sending a text message, I always use proper and complete grammar.....no "r u @ home?" for me, because if you start taking shortcuts, they will surface in your everyday writing.
I feel exactly the same way. Computers make typing too easy. Practice is needed all the time because written and spoken language is a perishable skill. Although, some people start off never having the skill.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
actually had to translate for one of the inmates at the doctor's office.

Mr. So and SO your tests have come back and their not good. your cell counts are still high. i'm afraid the chemo has not been much help or the radiation. that mass on your right temple is still very much malignant and growing into your brain. our best guess is you have 6-8 weeks.

the doctor leaves, the inmate looks at me, what did he say ?

you have 6-8 weeks to live

SAY WHAT ??? he said all that ?

the doctor had to come back in the room and tell him plain and simple, yes you are going to die.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts