Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use this link...

http://gaines.20m.com/police.htm

This article was last edited in 2001, however, it definately should be read by anyone in the law enforcement community.

Here a couple of quotes from this article, they may inspire you to read the whole thing...

"The use of fatal force against a police officer is legal for excessive force or false arrest, but you must be able to prove it. "

--(doesnt everybody think theyre being arrested falsly??)

"If the cops enter your property for any reason, call your lawyer. File for the arrest of the violators. "

--(File for arrest...yeah...OK!)

"If you have a weapon pulled on you consult an attorney to file assault with deadly weapons charges."

--(yeah...if a weapon is drawn, there is probably good reason for it...)

And the funniest of all...

"They will move in on personal space and sometimes even touch your body to display power. Since it is illegal for anyone to touch you like this, politely direct the offender to cease, as this is criminal assault by a police officer. Advise the officer/offender that you are filing charges of assault and battery. Be cool and calm, while considering if you wish to place the police violator under citizens arrest, your words to this effect require the criminal cop be cuffed, fingerprinted and more. Accept nothing less."

--(ok...good luck...)

Im afraid this author is misinformed about many of his views, and his advice to the public. Many of his statements are incorrect, and advise people to conduct themselves in a manner that could surely lead to arrest, and/or use of force. His comment posted at the begining of the article stating that he was a "reserve officer" at one point in time, leads me to believe that he may have been skipped over for a full time job, and may be bitter at the profession as a result. Please read this article and post your comments. The funniest part is the fact that he threatens prosecution for any law enforcement officer/agency who reproduces the article, however, the general public is free to do so.

G

·
It's a good thing I was able to turn my head to throw up, so as not to do so on my keyboard!

Obviously this dope has an axe to grind or else he would have named the PD or SO he was associated with. One phone call to where he was a Reserve would probably produce a litany of stories about this guys behavior while there.

csauce30, don't worry, I won't email him and tell him that you unfairly infringed on his constitutional rights and copyrighted his material and posted it here!!

He sounds like a perfect candidate for a fellowship at Harvard's Kennedy School Of Government. :finger2:

G

·
Well I am glad to see Mark Gaines has spent his life helping other people who have been injured. I on the other hand, have helped some of those people get that way........... but that's another matter entirely.

I think he forgot to put down that he wants to tour with "Riverdance" and the "Nutcracker". Hey, who on here doesn't like Traditional American Folkdance? I thought we all did?

I think this is what Mark like to do best in the rest areas around CT. :hump:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well this guy does need a reality check, however there is nothing wrong with be anti-police corruption, it gives all of us a bad name.
csause says: "leads me to believe that he may have been skipped over for a full time job, and may be bitter at the profession as a result" hits the nail on the head

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
This clown is about as useful as a sneaker full of sh*t. In all of his "impressive" credentials I don't see "JD". Any lawyer will tell you most of what he says is complete drivel. Taking advice from this moron is dangerous because it could turn a traffic ticket into an arrest for disorderly and A&B on a police officer. In the worst case it could lead to some idiot getting shot because he is "resisting" an "illegal" arrest. Mark, leave the policing to professionals, and I'll leave the folk dancing to you.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
Before everyone gets all worked up over this guy, let's not forget that any dufus with a computer and a modem can put up a webpage spewing whatever ignorant drivel they want. And sure, this guy might convince a whopping two idiots to get themselves arrested when they could have left with a warning or a ticket. But if you get upset every time some moron posts a load of crap on the web, you aren't going to have much time for anything else! :85565: ](*,) #-o

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
I see many people slamming this guy, I wont give an oppinon neither here nor there. But does this mean that you all think that there are no corrupt Police Officers? If you answer yes there are, are you now advocating hiding thier actions "Covering up".

I will offer up this, I have come into contact with what I will describe as a fuck load of "bad cops". One of them about 2 years ago tossed around my Fiance' because she was standing in an ambulance. I really would rather these officers get exposed to make room for good officers.

Asshole for posting it on the web like he did, he could have doe it much more tactfully.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Union1,

I can't see anyone on here trying to hide corruption. I think we all feel that it has no place in law enforcement. I will say though that we have every right to bash this guy for his comments, not so much for trying to show corruption, but more on the fact at what he says in regards to certain tactics when dealing with a police officer. To me that just advocates a-holes to resist that much more. The thing that that will accomplish is that a decent cop may have to use force to deal with one of these scumbags and then probaly have to deal with a lawsuit as a result of Folk boy gaines and his foolish chatter.

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
I wont even give this guy a second thought. He is a nurse not a cop, not a lawyer. The closest thing to LE that this fool has is he worked as an EMT instructor at a police academy and worked as a nurse is a prison. Screw him.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,679 Posts
union1 said:
I see many people slamming this guy, I wont give an oppinon neither here nor there.

I will offer up this, I have come into contact with what I will describe as a fuck load of "bad cops".Asshole for posting it on the web like he did, he could have doe it much more tactfully.
Hey Union!

What are you really trying to say? Bad advice should be given "tactfully"
quantify a "fuckload" of bad cops.
:L: :wl: :A!:

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
The interesting part about Mr. Gaines ramble is that some moron will probably follow his advice find himself in a world of trouble with the P.O. he tries it on, and then this victim will sue everyone from the PO to Mr. Gaines. What really annoys me is that this Gaines guy probably got DQed and now has an ax to grind against the whole LE community because he didnt make the cut. So much for getting some bad news and moving on with your life

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
I am not condoning anything that Mr Gains Said, But I have now read a second time this article and I dont see what he has written to make him a certified asshole.

<<When stopped or you encounter a police officer, be polite and civil. Ask what the problem is.>>

Whats the problem with this? If I am stoped, I believe I have a right to know why I just had my liberty taken away from me even for that brief encounter.

<<As bad cops are control freaks, Avoid any sudden moves >>

Are you going to argue that this is not true?

I think so far his substance is ok.

<<If driving, provide your drivers license, registration and insurance card in a motor vehicle stop>> You have to by law, "nothing wrong here"

<<Openly state several; times “I don’t consent to any search of this vehicle or myself,” if they attempt to search. State you are being detained against your will as well.>>

I'll be damned if my fiance gets pulled over with me in the passenger seat, and the officer wants my ID.

<<If you are walking down the street you might decide to give your name to the officer, but don’t volunteer anything else>> Nothing says you have to provide an officer with your name if you just walking.

<<Some corrupt officers plant drugs and other "evidence" during this time, steal your valuables and destroy your drivers license, so be aware of these possibilities. >>

I dare anyone to say that this DOESNT happen.

<<If the cop insists on a search hand him the keys and repeat that the detention and search are without your consent.>>

My Vehicle is my property, If there is no warrant to search it, leave my shit alone. If the cop wants to search it, he isnt going to get my permission.

<<As of 1 October 1999, racial profile stops are illegal in Connecticut. North Carolina has a similar law on the books. If you are stopped, and this law was violated, the officer can be arrested.>>

Stupid statement #1

<<You do not have to tell the officer your private business for being out in any public area. That is your legal right>>

Correct there as well. If I want to just take a walk, I really dont need to tell anyone why I am.

<<Be advised that many officers now have cameras installed in their cars which record on video tape, complete with sound. Don't try to get cute! If you play your cards right, the tape can serve as your evidence against a crooked cop.>>

Can this fact be argued? i doubit it

<<Your property is your castle. The police can only enter without your permission with a valid arrest warrant, valid search warrant, or in certain emergencies such as hot pursuit with legitimate probable cause. Otherwise the police are trespassers.>>

I refer back to my vehicle comment.

<<Don’t let a cop in as this can leave you open to having your house searched without your consent>>

Stupid statement #2

<<If they claim to have a search warrant demand to see it>>

By law they have to.

<<An increasing number of abusive police criminals are entering private property without consent by falsifying "probable cause." For example there have been telephone switch errors in the High Point and Greensboro North Carolina area, resulting in spurious 911 calls>>

Again, deny this happens..

<<If you have a weapon pulled on you consult an attorney to file assault with deadly weapons charges.>>

Ultra stupid statement #3

<<Even if you do everything legally, you might still be murdered by police>>

Stupid statement #4

<<It is always your right to demand the identification of any officer>>

By law this is required as well, for those of you who work in BMC Jusrisdiction, its actualy posted in the clerks office.

<<Because of the increasing incidents of police abuse you are well advised to avoid casual conversation with any law enforcement officer in many areas>>

Stupid statement #5 but widely practiced already.

<<In the case of plain clothes officers demand their identification. Wait until uniformed police arrive if you can>>

This stems from an actual case, so lets not argue that this doesnt happen.

So far I have gotten through a good portion of the article. I see someone who probly got passed over and does have an ax to grind.I also feel bad if some schmoe tries some of the tactics that Mr Gains proposes But we have freedom of speech in this country wich is a great thing. If Mr Gains wants to mark himself by putting this article up on the net, so be it. If you are one of these "Good" cops, you wont have to worry about anything Mr Gains has put to light and probly dont give 2 cents that he even posted it.

I will add, All of CSauce's quotes taken from the article also qualify for stupid statements of the year.

MPD ------ Fuckload= 90% of officers I have met while I was not working.

Just my oppinon anyway..

So lets start bashing my oppinons as well? Im sure its going to happen.

·
Registered
164 Posts
"My Vehicle is my property, If there is no warrant to search it, leave my shit alone. If the cop wants to search it, he isnt going to get my permission."

MV exception, right? Public way, probable cause, no warrant needed.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
JP64 said:
"My Vehicle is my property, If there is no warrant to search it, leave my shit alone. If the cop wants to search it, he isnt going to get my permission."

MV exception, right? Public way, probable cause, no warrant needed.
I think the reference was to a consent search

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
It's amazing how many of these extremist anti-police people are out there. I did my research paper last year on gang intervention in prisons, and with any good research topic, your going to get the pro and con side of the story. I remember reading one article about the mistreatment of of two Latin King members who had begun to boot their door and set their cell on fire, to protest the mistreatment of their "brother". This misteratment turned out to be their "brother" being placed in the restraint chair after assualting a staff member. The article continually referred to these members of one of the most violent street and prison gangs around, as "these poor men". It's just a horrifying thing when people who have never worked a day on our job, who claim to be experts, open their mouth or put pen to paper. Academic fuddy duddies :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.