Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Being the operator of an unmarked non-Ford product MSP cruiser, I see quite a bit of erratic driving and speeders on the highways. I usually try to put the blinders on(right or wrong) otherwise I'd never get to where I was going. But recently the driving has gotten so bad that I've begun to stop cars. Example, on 95NB I recently was passed by two racing cars at over 110mph at 9:30am on a workday! Weaving, tailgating, passing on right.....it was bad. This cruiser can only go 110mph and then it backs off, so I called for assistance and the road troopers at H-2 came thru.

Later, I stopped by H-3 and spoke with the frustrated desk officer who said they get numerous calls per shift for just this same driving behavior. Enough of my story, I'm just asking if anyone out there is having similar experiences in their areas. Also, I'm wondering if the motoring public has caught on that, 1) we are woefully understaffed and 2) we use a paltry few unmarked speed enforcement cruisers anymore.

Comments???

Guinness2429

·
Registered
181 Posts
We usually do a desk/2 at A6, so I know the frustration of which you speak. Regarding the unmarked vehicles, it seems they are putting more semi-marked vehicles on the road. At least there are a lot more of them now in A Troop. Not as effective as an unmarked, but at least you don't have a light bar giving you away from a mile off.

Of course, when working a left lane cd-16, I want as many lights as possible...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You are right, Guinness, it has gotten worse. I have to get to places all over Troops B and western C. Take a look at the troop map: population density is not a problem, but geographical size is.

When I come out, it's because I have been called out (usually) and somebody's dead (fewer complaints!). I need to get somewhere quickly and do not have the time to play with the lemmings, let alone stop them.

Well, just the other day...Monday, I think, I was swanning up and down the Valley tying up some loose ends. I ran across a young female lemming in the show-off lane, chatting away on her cell phone. Her speed was all over the place: 65, 55, 60...etc. There was plenty of room for her to move into the second lane.

I had my headlights on (fully marked cruiser). I tried my air horn: all the while no eye contact with her mirror. This went on for almost three miles. I finally had to stop her...took the wags and the overhead to wake her up.

I went on the lecture circuit...gave her a warning because of her tender age...My first written V in three years! :shock: Hey, my cruiser was white with salt...maybe she thought it was an RMV cruiser and she didn't have to stop! :oops:

Now, as I attempted to get home, traffic on 291 was backed up at the entrance to the MTA. While I was waiting patiently in the right lane, a white Chevr Astrovan passes me in the BDL! He was attempting to access a ramp. Gig, $100.

No sooner than we had gotten back into the right lane, a Chevr S10 pu passed me in the BDL. Again, to access the ramp. $100 Gig. She was late for an appointment...now she's even later !:twisted:

Three tickets in one day! That's it! I've had it with the lemmings...now, in the words of the ever lovin' Thing, "It's Clobberin' Time :x !" I now go out just to write V's when I don't have other stuff going on :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I just heard on the radio(1030) today that the MSP has purchased 30 brand new unmarked vehicles for just this type of patrol. Supposedly, they are of a non-traditional type, i.e. not a Ford product. They showed off a few Intrepids, but refused to say what the rest of them would be. The only Intrepids I've seen in DFS are at the CAT Team or the MC Unit. Both units rarely hit the highways where the bad asses of aggressive drivers are found. Now, if they just bought this many every other year and gave them to each barracks to use on a rotating basis, it might make a dent in these aggressive driving complaints. They'll probably just go to some suckpumps who will use them to drive to and from the loacl muni.

One last story...on my way 'expeditiously' to a suspicious death in Weymouth(shooting victim in car in middle of road), when a tricked-out Acura passes me in the ML going about 110mph! I'm responding to a death scene at a rapid pace and a car passes me...WTF! New classes, new unmarkeds, hopefully the motorists will slow down.

Guinness2429

PS I do see the benes of a fully marked sled, though, especially when you're in a bad spot on the highway.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...opers_hit_highways_in_stealth_seek_road_rage/

Troopers hit highways in stealth, seek road rage
By Michael S. Rosenwald, Globe Staff, 3/6/2004

At first glance, the cars appear to be ordinary Dodge Intrepids. But Massachusetts drivers who speed in and out of traffic, tailgate other cars, cut off drivers, or flash obscenities might discover something else: a stealth police car, the latest weapon in the battle to curtail road-rage incidents.

State Police officials yesterday unveiled the cars, which have flashing lights hidden near the rear-view mirror, front and back radar devices, and a video camera, all focused on busting aggressive drivers before they spark potentially violent episodes.

Last night, State Police also began increasing patrols, with organized teams targeting offending motorists, said Lieutenant Colonel Oscar Langford. Officers will issue citations for what he said is one of the greatest causes of road rage: Motorists who drive in the passing lane without passing anyone. Authorities said yesterday's announcement was not in direct response to two recent traffic confrontations that resulted in deaths, but they acknowledged that the incidents have highlighted the issue. On Feb. 29, Derek Cataldo, 21, of Haverhill, was killed after losing control of his Chevrolet sport utility vehicle on Interstate 495 while involved in a dangerous chase with another driver, who was arrested.

In January, Lynn Bader of Concord, N.H., was shot and killed in Stoneham after a Boston-bound chase on Interstate 93 that police described as road rage. The driver and passenger of the second car were arrested.

"The aggressive driving phenomenon is not new to us; it's been going on for some time," said Langford, commander of the Division of Field Services. "The recent tragic events have focused the spotlight on it, and it's just the tip of the iceberg. The State Police realizes a need to ramp up our efforts to deter aggressive driving."

Officials said the stealth cars have been on Massachusetts roadways since at least October. They would not say how many were on the roads or provide information about the specific number of citations issued by officers using them.

"This increased enforcement will continue for as long as aggressive driving continues to pose a quality-of-life concern for the motorists of the Commonwealth," Langford said.

But Leon James, a University of Hawaii psychologist who specializes in driving issues, said the stealth cars would likely have little deterrent effect on drivers.

"It's a desperation tactic, because although theoretically you're going to be able to catch more people, it's not going to be a preventive measure," James said. "Even if you know these cars are out there, you won't think they'll be around where you are. They would need a lot of police cars to give people the feeling the cars are everywhere."

Nationally, about one-third of traffic crashes and two-thirds of fatalities resulting from them can be attributed to aggressive driving, according to estimates by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

In Massachusetts, State Police officials pointed to a 2001 survey in which 91 percent of respondents said they had been tailgated, 88 percent had been cut off, 72 percent honked at, 64 percent received obscene gestures, and 4 percent said they had been physically assaulted.

Aggressive driving breeds more aggressive driving, the study also indicated. Forty-five percent of drivers said that being cut off or tailgated can make the affected driver operate aggressively.

At least six states, including Rhode Island, have passed specific laws against aggressive driving, according to federal officials. Two separate bills targeting aggressive driving are under consideration in the Massachusetts House.

Representative Harold P. Naughton Jr., a Democrat from Clinton, has introduced a measure defining road rage as "an individual operating a motor vehicle aggressively, maliciously, or recklessly, so that the safety of at least one other person might be endangered."

If found guilty, a driver would be fined between $200 and $1,000 and face possible imprisonment, according to the measure. The driver's license also would be revoked for between one and five years.

The second House measure, introduced by Representative Vincent P. Ciampa, a Democrat from Somerville, would deem an aggressive driving violation to have occurred if a police officer observes three or more specific violations within 5 miles. The penalty, under Ciampa's proposal would include a fine of from $250 to $500 for the first offense.

The second offense may require attendance at a safe-driving program, while a third offense would require a minimum 30-day suspension of the driver's license. Three aggressive-driving violations in a two-year period would result in a 180-day suspension.

·
Registered
181 Posts
IMO one of the biggest problems in combating this is the clerks who dismiss/find people not responsible regardless of what the gig is for. I don't understand how I can spend the last 16 months patrolling 128 in in the Woburn DC area, and only have 3 judges appeals. I guess most drivers don't mind the surcharge....

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like this Hawaiian scientist has had one too many coconuts fall on his head. Unmarked vehicles put the fear of God into those who would contemplate this sort of behavior knowing there is no way to set up a radar trap on the rush hours. Sure, more marked cruisers will always help, but you'll probably won't catch but the stupidist ones. If they think there's an unmarked roaming around it WILL have an affect. Second, the last thing we need is more laws in a Commonwealth already overburdened with a multitude of them. We already have several laws that would cover aggressive driving -- reckless/negligent operation under 90/24. Also, a huge monetary fine for several infractions is quite a shock to most aggressive drivers.

Now that this article has come out, I'll probably have every driver around me going 55mph w/ both hands on the wheel.

Guinness2429

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Hey, did anybody stop to think that if Naughtons measure passes, we'll all have $200 gigs?! :shock:

Answer to agressive idiots speeding: VASCAR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.