Equipment Acquisition Proposal? | MassCops

Equipment Acquisition Proposal?

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Education & Training Questions' started by fedcopma, Jan 29, 2020.

1. fedcopma

fedcopma MassCops Member

This question really goes out to those who have to seek approval for large purchases through a group of non-sworn people. What have you found to be the most effective way to justify the purchases of gear in a way non-tactical minded people would understand? I cited many case studies, examples, costs associated with the equipment, and how it would even save the department money. However, I had it pushed back to my desk for a second go.

2. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Usually you have to dumb it down to their level, what kind of gear are you talking about?

Tuna likes this.
  3. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

Make it seem like it’s their idea so they can puff themselves up and brag to the media.

Tuna, RodneyFarva, EUPD377 and 2 others like this.
  4. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

The first half of your suggestion is right on. Pretty sure his agency NEVER seeks any media limelight..........

5. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Assess the need first. Describe the issue that needs to be addressed, with anecdotal details from other similar incidents affecting similar agencies. Provide figures on the frequency and size of these events, as well as the dollar cost to responding/managing them. Don't forget the cost in time, as well as what other activities will be curtailed or postponed or eliminated due to the need to address one of these events.

Discuss the current ability to respond to such an event. Describe the number of personnel who could respond, their training, equipment and availability. Describe the procedures and resources currently in place and how they are either able to be integrated in such a response or how they will need to be enhanced or improved.

Recommend the required base-level capability to respond to such an event, including the number of personnel, their required initial and on-going training and the required equipment. Don't forget to allow for consumables in training and replacement of things that will wear out, like batteries, etc.

Describe the ability to respond to such an event once your proposal has been implemented. Briefly compare this to the current capability.

Finally, compare the risks inherent in not enhancing the agency capability in this fashion with the risks as they currently stand, and request that they make a determination as to the level of risk they are comfortable with. In the final analysis they are what are sometimes called the "Risk Acceptance Authorities" and your written documentation should be a road map to reducing that risk, as well as a proof that the risks were explained to them should the worst occur and they cast about looking for someone to blame.

AB7, j809, Goose and 3 others like this.
  6. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Tell them it will save lives and reduce liability.

7. fedcopma

fedcopma MassCops Member

Tried that in the proposal, it’s why I’m making the proposal. It got back to me that part of the concern might be that the acquisition looks too, “aggressive or tactical.”

8. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

What are you trying to get?

9. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Mosin Nagants.

AB7, USM C-2 and CCCSD like this.
  10. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Oh. Well. Assault Rifles. Soooo....yeah.

Goose likes this.
  11. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

He wants a bearcat for a patrol vehicle. Says the New England roads are terrible on his poor Interceptor.

USM C-2 likes this.
  12. fedcopma

fedcopma MassCops Member

Haha.. I wish I was recommending something that awesome. Not worth my time to even attempt that proposal.