EPO's Guns in Court (Merged Threads) | Page 7 | MassCops

EPO's Guns in Court (Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Hot Topics' started by Boats, Nov 16, 2007.

1. jdmac33

jdmac33 MassCops Member

there is no valid reason that the environmental police should not be allowed to wear a gun in court. they are trained police officers who have been through a full time police academy. i believe that we are all on the same team.

2. kttref

kttref New Member

anyone else feel this thread has run it's course?

3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

No, there could be updates in the near future.

4. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

You're right, theres talks in the courts that they will need to check their baton and O.C. as well now....

5. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

6. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

This has to be a joke right? Where you guys gonna lock up my 870 when I carry it in? Or better still I have 3 gun cases coming up left over from hunting season. I will have to bring in the evidence, what are you going to do? Oh and as far as updates there is a bill in the House rules committee SD2576 If anyone can call there own State Rep and Rep. Scaccia @617 722-2692 to get this bill out of committee favorably. Help us if you can we have alot of people against this including our managment.

7. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

I was just busting on ya Tuna.....

I hope it goes through for you guys....

8. Loyal

Loyal MassCops Member

few of the police prosecutors carry inside the court and they are there more than any of us. See the new thread on having a life outside of law enforcement, about how some guys always feel a need to carry and be a cop 24/7/365.. I leave mine in the locker rather than bring it to court. Couldn't be bothered. Bring it with you if you want and the EPO's should not be excluded, but it's not worth sweating about. Clearly the courts think there are enough safeguards and feel that having a gun forcibly taken from someone and used against others is more of a risk than a defendant getting one past security. I bring no badge, gun or cuffs - just my PD ID when I go to court. We can't bring a gun into the HOC when we are on duty and bringing a safekeep there, what's the difference ? Courts, like jails, can restrict guns if they feel it is more of a risk having them inside than not.

9. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

God forbid that the situation never arises that you need it.

10. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

The problem isn't that they are not allowing guns in the court, the problem is that they are singling out EPO's and a couple of other agencies and not allowing THEM to carry in courts....

11. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

What other agencies?:confused:

12. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

I went to the Providence District Courthouse in Providence, Rhode Island today. Upon entering, I was greeted by ARMED Capitol Police Officers running the X-Ray and metal detectors. However, police officers on court business and the like had to surrender their weapons, so you saw a lot of empty holsters. In the courtroom EVERY state sheriff deputy carries a gun (mostly empty holsters due to the fact that they are in the cell blocks). The RI version of court officers are the RI State Sheriffs, who provide prisoner transport, courtroom area security and civil process for RI. All the deputies had ASP batons and mace if the situation got out of control in the court room. The only thing that sucks about the dorrance st. courthouse is that beyond the clerk's office floor you have to take these small elevators, with all the shitbirds in them. I like to take stairs myself, however the stairs are for "emergency use only".

So in a nutshell

RI State courts: everyone surrenders their weapon upon entering the courthouse it seems

Armed RI Capitol Police officers control public entry points at all courthouse in RI. (Do the job of the MA Blue Shirts)
    -However RI Capitol Police Officers work in the non-criminal special courts as baliffs in some cases.

RI State Sheriff Deputies (Do the job of the MA white shirts and MA DOC and Sheriff Transport crews in the criminal courts)

13. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

No problem, just like Federal court, everyone is unarmed except the Marshalls. This is different. Years back some assclown, with relations to the court, got jamed up with the EPO's. Now politics are in play. The problem is that EPO managment wont fight this. I don't know what they are thinking. Maybe they are not in tune with the situation or maybe they just don't know what it is to be in the field.??????????

14. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

MSPCA cannont carry in courts, nor any out-of-state law enforcement agency, nor any federal agency.....I believe the exception is if they are transporting prisoners in some capacity, but then they don't really come into the "courts" per se, they just exchange paperwork/prisoner and leave.....Its fishy, but then again it is Massachusetts

15. quality617

quality617 Subscribing Member

So far, Framingham and Salem are the only places that have enforced this. Everywhere else, they could care less.

16. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

You see, here lies the problem. There is NO uniformity within the courts. It's ashame that the upper management in the court system finds that protecting one of there own has to stoop to this level. It's a pile of political BS with some major HACKS leading the charge.

17. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

I have nothing against the blue shirts, most of the blue shirts look to be in good shape. I have a lot of sour grapes towards the white shirts. They are either: Cannon Shooting nut jobs, or overwieght guys. It is pathetic how much money they make for how little they actually do, when police officers throughout MA struggle to make ends meet. Some of them are so pathetic (white shirts) they don't even carry handcuffs when they are working a civil trial or a jury pool detail. I'm sorry mr. white shirt, but if your other fellow white shirts need help because joe smoo is flipping out because he is going to walpole, obviously you don't care because you don't have your cuffs with you. I don't think all white shirts are like this, but so far I haven't been too impressed with what I have seen besides first aid skills. Oh well what do you expect with 1 week worth of training.

18. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

tell us how you really feel.....

:)

19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Why do I have the feeling you didn't have the political horsepower to get a court officer job?

20. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

IThe funny thing is, most blue shirts aspire to become white shirts....(mostly because of the paycheck)

Also, lets give them their due, its 2 weeks of training....

LoL, seems as though you don't like the C.O.'s very much, but lets not lump them ALL in together....alot of them are great guys, and are/were police officers....

But its no secret that some were garbage men and drywallers before they got on....Its just the nature of the beast....(nothing against those professions, just making a point)

21. JMB1977

JMB1977 New Member

Aren't the blue shirts assistant Court officers... I heard that job starts a little higher than minimum wage.

22. USMCTrooper

USMCTrooper Grim reaper

The best way to resolve this whole issue of EPO's having to surrender their weapons before entering Court is to secretly release a few wild fowl, some rabid racoons and maybe a skunk or two into the back halls of the courthouse. Wait for the screams, then throw up your hands and say, "sorry, dont have my gear..." :)

23. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

I like the idea but we bring in enough 2 legged wild animals to keep us busy. By the way we don't deal with skunks or racoons, how about Black Bear or Moose?
    :jestera:

24. topcop14

topcop14 Subscribing Member

I know this "Cannon shooting nut job" He is no nut job and is a good guy. He is always been professional, if one needs something at court he will go out of his way to help you out.
    I agree Delta, sounds like some one does not have the pull needed for the job.

25. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

I don't really have anything against the court officers that do their jobs. Just the ones that were garbage collectors and drywallers. I'm sorry for my egotistic rant comments.